Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2011, 13:56   #16

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Marine SSB License?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyp08 View Post
I will be taking my boat from Maine to Mallorca, Spain this summer. The boat has 2 VHFs and a SSB. I understand that the Spanish require a Radio licence for the boat and an operator's licence for at least one of the crew (that would be me).

My boat has a radio license and a Call Sign. I do not have an operators license (unnecessary in the US). Has anyone had direct hands-on experience with this and advice on how to deal with the licensing issue (besides taking a VHF/SSB course and passing an exam in some EU country?)
You're wrong about not needing an operators license since you have an SSB. Also if you go to or make contact with the Canadians in your neck of the woods you have to have a license. You need at least the restricted operators license which just requires filling out a form and paying money. See the FCC links I posted above.

My understanding is that most countries require you to have the licenses from the country you come from. Whether there are exceptions I don't know.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 16:42   #17

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

John

I also found this:

a. License requirements for a marine SSB are the same as for a VHF: a Ship's Station License (for the vessel)--endorsed for SSB frequencies--and a Restricted Radiotelephone License (for you, the operator). Yes, a few years ago, it was made the rule that you didn't need a Ship's Station License if you were operating a radio inside U. S. waters. However, if you're going offshore and bound for foreign waters, you'll need to apply for one. The Ship's Station License will also get you your MMSID number, which you'll need to fully implement Digital Selective Calling (DSC) on your VHF or all of the safety functions on your Inmarsat C system.

No testing is involved--just fill out the form and send the FCC your money. You can apply on-line or obtain the forms on line to fill out--visit http://www.FCC.gov."

Just like what you said.

Thanks
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 18:00   #18

Quote:
John

I also found this:

a. License requirements for a marine SSB are the same as for a VHF: a Ship's Station License (for the vessel)--endorsed for SSB frequencies--and a Restricted Radiotelephone License (for you, the operator). Yes, a few years ago, it was made the rule that you didn't need a Ship's Station License if you were operating a radio inside U. S. waters. However, if you're going offshore and bound for foreign waters, you'll need to apply for one. The Ship's Station License will also get you your MMSID number, which you'll need to fully implement Digital Selective Calling (DSC) on your VHF or all of the safety functions on your Inmarsat C system.

No testing is involved--just fill out the form and send the FCC your money. You can apply on-line or obtain the forms on line to fill out--visit http://www.FCC.gov."

Just like what you said.

Thanks
Yes you don't need a license for inside the US, but it's not a rule for "a radio" as in any radio, it only applies to VHF.

Commercial Radio Operator License Program: Types of Licenses: Restricted Radiotelephone
An RR is NOT needed to operate the following:
  • Ship stations operating only on VHF frequencies that do not travel to foreign ports or make international communications
John
Old 22-12-2011, 18:09   #19

Get the right answers here:
FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 19:11   #20

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

John

Following your recommendation - I just visited the FCC site, filled out the online application for a restricted license. I got a new FRN - different than the FRN for my ship's license and put in my credit card info. It all went through. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for your advice.

Pat
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 19:26   #21

Quote:
John

Following your recommendation - I just visited the FCC site, filled out the online application for a restricted license. I got a new FRN - different than the FRN for my ship's license and put in my credit card info. It all went through. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for your advice.

Pat
I don't think that you needed a new FRN. All three of my licenses are under one FRN.

I just logged onto my account and saw that you can associate and de-associate licenses from an FRN, so it appears to be a bookkeeping thing and you can move them around as you like.

John
Old 03-03-2012, 18:10   #22

Boat: SJ23 1988

Thank you to all who posted the links and information.

God I love this site and the people who are here. I can always find answers to my questions here.

FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, marine, ssb