Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 15:54   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Marine Diesel Regulations

I have been told that I am required by law to fill my boats fuel tanks only at marina fuel docks, I.E. fuel from service stations is not allowed. Additionally this individual also indicates that the marina approved diesel has a die added to it to indicate that I am in fact using the appropriate fuel and if boarded I could be asked to allow a sampling of my fuel tanks and if it is shown that I have the wrong diesel type there could be a penalty.

I would love to be enlightened about this please.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 15:59   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Marine Diesel Regulations

Is this a tax issue? Different taxes for road and non road use?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 16:04   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i fill with jerry jugs from road sources--when i was boarded i wasnot asked where doi get my fuel. i have never been asked about fuel. unless big brother is sitting on your shoulder saying "i'm a gonna getye", i wouldnt worry. some places do npo tallow jug fillage on boats as sometimes it causes spillage.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 16:08   #4

"In United States of America, the Environmental Protection Agency mandates use of a red dye to identify high-sulfur fuels for off-road use. Solvent Red 26 is used in the United States as a standard, though it is often replaced with Solvent Red 164, which is similar to Solvent Red 26 but with longer alkyl chains. The Internal Revenue Service mandates use of the same red dyes, in fivefold concentration, for tax-exempt diesel fuels such as heating oil; their argument for the higher dye content is to allow detection even when diluted with "legal" fuel. Detection of red-dyed fuel in the fuel system of an on-road vehicle will incur substantial penalties." FROM WIKI

Also see:
BoatUS.com: Government Affairs

Some states actually give you a refund for fuel used in marine application.

Not sure of the legality of it all but it would seem the opposite would be true. Off road diesel would be illegal in on road applications rather than the way it was suggested in the first post.
Old 12-10-2011, 16:15   #5

The dye indicates to authorities that the fuel has no road tax added to the price and is for off road use only. Such as for farm equipment or boats. One can use either the dyed or clear, the difference is that the clear costs more because of the added tax. More importantly, is that the clear fuel is ultra low sulfur and is not appropriate for most marine diesels
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 16:22   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Boats with a diesel engine are not on the road, so off road products can be used..it does make a mess sometime when filling from a can,make sure you have some dish soap to hit any that may inadvertantly get in the water...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 16:33   #7

So what are the thoughts on using heating oil to fuel the boat? I knew a guy years ago who used to burn it in his diesel Rabbit.
Old 12-10-2011, 16:46   #8

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

Here in British Columbia the only Diesel fuel available is ultra low sulphur, and it will most likely contain 5% biofuel. The adding of the biofuel is done by the oil company's to meet legislated targets. Dye is sometimes added to fuel that is for off road use to indicate highway tax hasn't been paid. Not all marinas have dye in their fuel. Most of the marinas around here also sell dyed unleaded midgrade (89 octane).
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 16:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I have been told that I am required by law to fill my boats fuel tanks only at marina fuel docks, I.E. fuel from service stations is not allowed. Additionally this individual also indicates that the marina approved diesel has a die added to it to indicate that I am in fact using the appropriate fuel and if boarded I could be asked to allow a sampling of my fuel tanks and if it is shown that I have the wrong diesel type there could be a penalty.

I would love to be enlightened about this please.
I know they used to do that here in Washington as it was a tax issue. But I think it went away quite a while back. Not much point because what you saved in no-tax at a fuel dock, they tacked on in extra profit! Didnt know anywhere was still doing it ....but possible. At any rate, I doubt if anyone is watching. I put jugs of diesel from a service station in my boat in Florida. I guess the problem would be going from the boat to car .... if the revenooer is watching....
It's very common to see trailerable boats being filled at service stations.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 16:53   #10

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I don't know about the prices where you live but up here the heating fuel is the same price or higher as off road diesel. It used to be cheaper but too many people were using it as there main fuel via a transfer valve from the heating fuel tank to the main fuel tank. The tax man finds ways to take the fun out of getting a deal.
Old 12-10-2011, 16:56   #11

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

This is backwards. Your not supposed to put boat diesel in a road vehicle.
This is because road taxes are paid for road diesel. Boat diesel on the road did not get the tax.
I filled up at a marina and the fuel had state tax added.??? They handed me a form to get a tax refund and I got back $26 from VA.

Likely they do that because the state is greedy and hopes you dont get a form to fill out. It is like rebates, the company entices you to buy with a cash back promise hoping you loose the receipt, mess up the mailing, don't dot all the I's and T's, forget to sign, etc..., then they dont have to pay you back.

Silly rules IMO are part of the way people live their obscure small lives.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 17:01   #12

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

According to a friend of mine, there was a time where he grew up in Arizona, that diesel fuel was not taxed at the pump. Instead, truckers and those few people with diesel cars were required to keep a mileage log book of on-road diesel usage. At the end of each month, the log was turned in along with fuel receipts for fuel purchased in Arizona and a check for the road tax.
Old 12-10-2011, 17:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I don't know about the prices where you live but up here the heating fuel is the same price or higher as off road diesel. It used to be cheaper but too many people were using it as there main fuel via a transfer valve from the heating fuel tank to the main fuel tank. The tax man finds ways to take the fun out of getting a deal.
Yes this is what my friend was doing in the 70's, pumping from the house tank to his auto.

QUOTE This is backwards. Your not supposed to put boat diesel in a road vehicle. This is because road taxes are paid for road diesel. Boat diesel on the road did not get the tax.
I filled up at a marina and the fuel had state tax added.??? They handed me a form to get a tax refund and I got back $26 from VA.
Likely they do that because the state is greedy and hopes you dont get a form to fill out. It is like rebates, the company entices you to buy with a cash back promise hoping you loose the receipt, mess up the mailing, don't dot all the I's and T's, forget to sign, etc..., then they dont have to pay you back.

My marina diesel at the dock costs much more than what I pay at the service station, why would I ever put that in my truck.
Regarding the home heating oil cost advantage I haven't checked those prices lately. I remember hearing that the heating fuel is a different formulation that motor fuel, are their any problems with burning as a motor fuel?
Old 12-10-2011, 18:20   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

It always amazes me how people try to save a few cents on fuel......

Think of the time and aggravation you spend.

Just like the people that buy those gas-boys and wheel them down the dock.

A lot of Marinas I know of forbid them....They don't wan't either bombs or spills.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 19:29   #15

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I agree with the Chief. This summer I found such a variance in fuel dock prices, that unless I had a bulk set up of my own, the screwing around trying to find a better deal would be offset by the fuel and hassle cost of getting fuel down a dock. The price ranged from $1.14(CAD) a litre to $1.34(CAD), marine marked fuel. Vancouver to Port McNeil.

Tags
diesel, marine, regulations