Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2011, 16:55   #46

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Re: Marine Diesel Regulations

Following more or less on the same subject. Do the rest of you out there have to use yellow diesel jerry cans in order to fill up at the pumps? Out here most service stations will not allow you to fill up a red Jerry can with diesel.
Old 14-10-2011, 17:13   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
Following more or less on the same subject. Do the rest of you out there have to use yellow diesel jerry cans in order to fill up at the pumps? Out here most service stations will not allow you to fill up a red Jerry can with diesel.
I've never had that problem. I have a big D on my diesel cans so I don't make a mistake but no-one ever says a thing about the colour.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 17:16   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post

- - On the other hand, sometimes marina fuel is not available and you have to jerry can the fuel to your boat. In those circumstances I like the black large funnel filter which I can put into the 1.5" diesel fill fitting on deck and then pour the diesel from the jerry can in without spilling any.
I use a funnel and point the nozzle into the funnel before beginning to tilt the can and I don't have a problem with spillage. I don't over fill the cans though. The cans I use have the 20 litre mark well before the top and that's how much I put in.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 17:51   #49

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd30ketch View Post
Here is the difference between red diesel a regular diesel. Taxes! Since 2007 off road diesel has been the same as other diesel. Now there is a lot of difference between post 2007 diesel and diesel produced prior to 2007. If you own an older Perkins with a CAV injector pump you probably already had the leaks fixed on it. If not you will. I just bought a trawler with a Perkins that had been sitting for years. The tanks were half full so I have been enjoying this summer burning the older diesel. Now that I topped off the tanks I might just as well stick a drip pan under the injector pump because it is going to start leaking!!
How right you are, I just had to replace all the "O" rings in my CAV govenor, What a nightmare. Want to make absolutely sure to aviod this with the pump, would like to hear more about increasing the lubricity of my fuel.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 18:16   #50

Boat: Finnsailer 38

For what it's worth I've been using this stuff for several years. It adds lubricity and disperses water. Lots of products on the market. A lot of folks over at Bob is the Oil Guy add TCW3 2-stroke oil to their diesel.
Old 14-10-2011, 18:39   #51

Boat: 34' Novi Lobsterboat /40' Marine Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
How right you are, I just had to replace all the "O" rings in my CAV govenor, What a nightmare. Want to make absolutely sure to aviod this with the pump, would like to hear more about increasing the lubricity of my fuel.
Older fuel injection pumps used seals that dont stand up well to newer low sulfer and biodiesel fuels . After about 1995 most manufacturers of IPs began using Viton seals which solved those fuel related problems.
bugmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 19:04   #52

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmon View Post
Older fuel injection pumps used seals that dont stand up well to newer low sulfer and biodiesel fuels . After about 1995 most manufacturers of IPs began using Viton seals which solved those fuel related problems.
So whats the solution if you have the older pumps.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 19:09   #53

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Interesting stuff. FPPF Marine Formula Diesel Fuel Treatment is a mixture of 60% - "Ethylene glycol butyl ether (EGBE) is a type of glycol ether and remains the single most widely produced glycol ether.1 It is primarily used as a solvent.2 It evaporates quickly and is completely soluble in water.3 Dow sells EGBE under the trade name Butyl CELLOSOLVE™ solvent."

And "Ethylhexyl nitrate" which is used to raise the cetane number of diesel fuels. So it should do what it claims to do. It averages $19 a bottle to treat 375 gallons of diesel. It claims to raise the cetane number by 3.

From the same company comesFPPF Agri Fuel Treatment for $5 less per bottle and uses the same EGBE but with Hydrotreated light petroleum distillates instead of "Ethylhexyl nitrate" so it does not raise the cetane number.

All of the products are highly toxic and hazardous to humans, so be careful.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 19:13   #54

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Some related additions:

Newer low emission engines are intended for use with ULSD, so there shouldn't be a problem there. They also require "low emission" lube oil.

In rainy areas like the northwest marina fuel can come with a bit of water in it. Sometimes the water is emulsified so doesn't settle out quickly. For this reason, if I am only topping up the tanks I prefer to use jerry jugs and fuel from the local truck stop.

I use an inexpensive siphon to transfer the fuel; it is easier than pouring from a 5 gallon jerry jug. And it is easy to control. Using yellow jugs in daylight makes it easy to see how much fuel is going into the tank.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 21:43   #55

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Some related additions:

Newer low emission engines are intended for use with ULSD, so there shouldn't be a problem there. They also require "low emission" lube oil.

In rainy areas like the northwest marina fuel can come with a bit of water in it. Sometimes the water is emulsified so doesn't settle out quickly. For this reason, if I am only topping up the tanks I prefer to use jerry jugs and fuel from the local truck stop.

I use an inexpensive siphon to transfer the fuel; it is easier than pouring from a 5 gallon jerry jug. And it is easy to control. Using yellow jugs in daylight makes it easy to see how much fuel is going into the tank.
Bingo...the $5 siphon from Harbor Freight (clear 1" tube with a brass end and ball in it) is the ticket. Empties a jug in a minute or two and never a drop spilled. I use it on my Assistance towing boat for delivering fuel...I will NEVER go back to handing over a full jug with a spout..trouble waiting to happen...I just give them the end...open the jug...stick in the brass end and a couple jiggles and in a minute the jug is empty...simple as that.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 21:57   #56

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Bingo...the $5 siphon from Harbor Freight (clear 1" tube with a brass end and ball in it) is the ticket. Empties a jug in a minute or two and never a drop spilled. I use it on my Assistance towing boat for delivering fuel...I will NEVER go back to handing over a full jug with a spout..trouble waiting to happen...I just give them the end...open the jug...stick in the brass end and a couple jiggles and in a minute the jug is empty...simple as that.
+1 I have been using one for years now and find it perfect, only mine is just 1/2", still quick to empty jerrycan. And no spill.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, marine, regulations