Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2012, 14:21   #46

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Re: Marathon's Message To Visiting Boats

The mooring fee went up a whole $1? WOW! It might be that those paying for a mooring (same price as the dinghy fee) are fed up with the anchorage people coming in and using everything in the facility so robustly. It always amazes me in bad weather how many would not get a mooring.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 06:55   #47

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The new laws in Boot Key are not as bad as some of the other Pilot Program areas, but they do further add to the hodge-podge of regulations in Florida making it difficult for transient boaters. The typical boater will have no idea that the laws suddenly change about how you can anchor just because you have crossed some unmarked boundary. If there are to be anchoring restrictions they need to be uniform, statewide, well publicized, and well marked on the water. There is no requirement that any of these offsets, no anchoring areas, etc. be marked in any way. In any case, I prefer to anchor and refuse to pay for a mooring I don't want or need, and I certainly don't go places that charge to use a dinghy dock to go ashore. Who needs the hassle of proving you've pumped out? There are thousands of other harbors where you are free to anchor, it doesn't cost anything to go ashore, the harbor isn't packed full of sardines, oops boats, on moorings, and the locals welcome you. These are not commonsense laws--they are idiotic and uninformed attempts to force all boaters onto pay moorings. The idea that they will somehow prevent derelict boats is ludicrous--most of the boats that have washed ashore or sunk were not liveaboard boats--they were boats stored and ignored by locals, and these laws have specific exemptions allowing that to go on.
Old 23-05-2012, 07:26   #48
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Last I heard the city of Marathon voted against the pilot program.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 07:48   #49

No, Monroe County just approved their Pilot Program ordinance. It still has to be approved by the FWC and probably won't be in effect until later this summer. Waterway Guide has a news item about it.

Quote:
The ordinance, drafted under the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission pilot program, proposes to create new regulated anchoring zones in Key West Harbor, Lower Keys sites at Boca Chica Channel and Cow Key Channel, in Marathon's Boot Key Harbor and in Key Largo's Sunset Cove, with Monroe County being one of five pilot areas in Florida.
Old 23-05-2012, 08:02   #50
smj

I understand the county passed it but does that mean they can impose restrictions on city bay bottom without the city's consent?
Old 23-05-2012, 08:08   #51
smj

Just read it has been approved by Monroe County but now has to be approved by the City of Marathon for the restrictions to take place in Boot Key.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:54   #52

Quote:
Seems if you plan to go into town each day that it doesn't make any sense to anchor and pay the dinghy fee.
In the middle of the winter you might have to wait a week or two in order to get a mooring, meaning you pay $22 per day for dinghy dockage while at anchor. I don't know of any harbor in New England that charges anywhere near that much for dinghy dockage, and most places are free. I really don't know why anybody goes to Boot Key Harbor now. So much for the laid back, friendly Keys lifestyle!
Old 23-05-2012, 14:44   #53

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

John, I'm afraid I have to agree with you. We were based out of Marathon for ten years. Our last trip through Boot Key Harbor left us feeling less than welcome and we promised it would be out last trip there. We wrote about it here. We will pass through the keys on our way to the Bahamas this winter, but have no intentions to stop in Marathon. Too bad but this has been going on in Florida since the early 90s. The Keys have become a rich mans playground and the local authorities want to keep it that way. Average home price is still around $500,000.00 and the average wage is $9.00. Go figure. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 15:29   #54
CLOD

Boat: none

While I like to anchor I would bet that if everyone were anchored instead of on the moorings there would only be half as many there in the busy season. Not looking to agrue but if I were cruising though I would prefer to pay for a mooring for a few days than to have to just move along because there isn't any room.
Old 23-05-2012, 17:59   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
While I like to anchor I would bet that if everyone were anchored instead of on the moorings there would only be half as many there in the busy season. Not looking to agrue but if I were cruising though I would prefer to pay for a mooring for a few days than to have to just move along because there isn't any room.
I'm a strong proponent of the ability to retain open anchorages, but I agree and have this same thought about the high density and popular places. I used to anchor regularly in St. Augustine during the seventies and eighties, but I lost the ability to find a safe and comfortable place to stop when the crowd was to thick and risky. Now, for a mooring fee, St. Augustine is back on my list of stops. We all know and accept this same supply and demand on shore. I can park in Topeka or Tallahassee for next to nothing, but if I'm parking my car in Manhattan or DC I'm pulling out a chunk from my wallet. I must make some choices, adapt and savor those wilderness places where there's rarely anyone else. Parking is free just outside of Odessa, Texas!
Old 23-05-2012, 18:19   #56

Boat: 1973 Contest 33

If you go to the Hamptons or Montauk you will have to break out the Vasaline so your ass doesn't hurt from the prices. LOL[/QUOTE]

Regarding the Hamptons I disagree at least with regards to one harbor. Sag Harbor has high rates for moorings and dockage but if you stay on the hook it only costs $5 per day to use the dingy dock and that includes trash and clean shower facilities only a short walk away. Staying on the hook does require anchoring outside the breakwater so this is probably best done during the week as the traffic can be heavy on the weekend.

Motor up to the beaches in the dink and you can enjoy them for FREE. Try doing that with the automobile.

Pumpouts in the Northeast are usually free and a small tip for the operator does suffice. This is certainly the case in the clean harbors.
Captmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 19:53   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
John, I'm afraid I have to agree with you. We were based out of Marathon for ten years. Our last trip through Boot Key Harbor left us feeling less than welcome and we promised it would be out last trip there. We wrote about it here. We will pass through the keys on our way to the Bahamas this winter, but have no intentions to stop in Marathon. Too bad but this has been going on in Florida since the early 90s. The Keys have become a rich mans playground and the local authorities want to keep it that way. Average home price is still around $500,000.00 and the average wage is $9.00. Go figure. Chuck
I found the place to be like you describe in your blog...true and concise reporting...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 05:42   #58

By the way, in case anyone in Marathon management is reading, the last time I was there, when it was still possible to anchor, I spent three weeks and many thousands of $$ with local businesses outfitting and supplying my boat for a multi-year trip to the Caribbean. The moves to further limit anchoring opportunities, and the outrageous fees at the dinghy dock just give me a bad feeling. Why should I spend my money some place that obviously doesn't want me if I prefer to anchor? I will certainly go elsewhere, and take my business there too.
Old 24-05-2012, 05:53   #59
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
By the way, in case anyone in Marathon management is reading, the last time I was there, when it was still possible to anchor, I spent three weeks and many thousands of $$ with local businesses outfitting and supplying my boat for a multi-year trip to the Caribbean. The moves to further limit anchoring opportunities, and the outrageous fees at the dinghy dock just give me a bad feeling. Why should I spend my money some place that obviously doesn't want me if I prefer to anchor? I will certainly go elsewhere, and take my business there too.
It is still possible to anchor in Marathon and I hate to say it but they won't miss your money as it seems there will always be someone there to take your
place.
Old 24-05-2012, 06:25   #60

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce
I can park in Topeka or Tallahassee for next to nothing, but if I'm parking my car in Manhattan or DC I'm pulling out a chunk from my wallet. I must make some choices, adapt and savor those wilderness places where there's rarely anyone else. Parking is free just outside of Odessa, Texas!
I agree - this is a supply/demand equation. Mooring fields allow for more boats than anchorages. If Boot Key wasn't so popular with cruisers, it wouldn't be so expensive.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote