Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 22:19   #16

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: Mandatory Boater Education in WA

Since I had to get the card and my wife didn't, I was going to let her skipper the boat, but she didn't like that idea. So I got my sixpack. $1400 to stick it to Christine, boy am I stupid. But satisfied! It's a scam, but I'm for it if itimproves operator profeciency, courtsey is still probably to much to ask for, as in this forum.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 07:08   #17

Boat: Skookum 53'

Whilst running charters out of Homer, AK, I used to frequently run close quarters with people whom had no clue about the rules of the road and at times it made for interesting crossing and meeting situations. The education is a good idea, I don't like to make things mandatory, the license gives the powers that be one more way to exercise control and power, and as always, there is an opportunity for abuse of that power. however as Ron White says "You can't fix stupid". I have come across plenty of licensed masters that did not have a real clue either. At least they had to pass the rules of the road test with a 90% or better score.
Old 13-05-2011, 11:48   #18

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
The positive side of all this is that we got what we voted for.
I assume you mean the collective "we" as I have never voted for anyone who encourages nanny state ideas.

That being said, if it reins in some of the idiot "Point and Shoot" boaters, that's a good thing.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 12:00   #19

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I have almost completed the course online. I have been informed now that when you fuel your jetski, you need to make sure there are no gas fumes in the engine compartment. It could catch fire or explode. Hmmmm..

I just couldn't stand Gord giving me the evil eye so I have decided to comply. I doubt I will get to be north more than 45 days this year but I atleast will stay out of that one. Now If I can remember to drink all the wine before I cross the border all will be well.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 12:31   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
... I just couldn't stand Gord giving me the evil eye so I have decided to comply.
I wish I did, Todd; but, I don’t have the evil eye.

In fact, I’ve been told that I’m just a brown eyed handsome man:
Brown Eyed Handsome Man Lyrics - Chuck Berry

And have:
“... Beautiful, beautiful brown eyes
(I'll never love blue eyes again ...)
The Brothers Four - Beautiful Brown Eyes Lyrics

Notwithstanding, I applaud your (near) completion of the course, and hope that you successfully meet your State’s requirements/qualifications.

In the unlikely event that you find yourself crossing the border into my country, with a surfeit of wine, please don’t hesitate to call for my assistance in disposing of the surplus.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 12:36   #21

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Note: I don't have a boat operator permit from the USCG... I hold a license of 1600 ton Master upon Oceans and a 2nd Mate Unlimited tonnage upon Ocean. Which I believe will over qualify me for the much smaller vessels.
Also have loads of other endorsements along with the above.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 13:34   #22

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
....... Now If I can remember to drink all the wine before I cross the border all will be well.

Todd
While I certainly agree with your desire to not let good wine (or even bad wine) go to waste by falling into the hands of customs officials.......I know you will have the good sense to drink all said wine while at anchor.... the night before crossing the border. I don't think either Canadian or US officials will bust you for a hangover!
Cheers!
Old 13-05-2011, 13:42   #23

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

One thing about the Oregon/Washington border is that if you are a resident from Oregon and can prove it (driver's license) you don't have to pay the Washington's Sales tax.....
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 14:02   #24

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I assume you mean the collective "we" as I have never voted for anyone who encourages nanny state ideas..
"We" was used as a metaphor. The legislators "we" elected have, once again, enacted a law to replace common sense. Problem solved!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 14:07   #25

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

common sense has nothing to do with either the elected politicians or the folks who put him/her there. The problem is that there are too many more-money-than-brains boaters around and I personally agree with any means of eliminating even one of them.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 14:22   #26

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

My initial reaction to more government is always negative....however.....from observation.... I suspect many if not most of the people at the helms of boats darting around crowded harbors haven't the foggiest notion about simple rules of the road. It can't hurt to at least have them look at the rules even if they are too stupid to absorb anything. Sorry, guess I'm too cynical. The things more regulation can't begin to protect us from are discourtesy, aggressiveness, and egotistic behavior which I would guess account for most boating accidents.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 14:26   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mandatory Boater Education in WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
common sense has nothing to do with either the elected politicians or the folks who put him/her there. The problem is that there are too many more-money-than-brains boaters around and I personally agree with any means of eliminating even one of them.

ROTFLMBO.......... Guess you must be refering to the $300+K set... not the $200K+ crowd...
Whatever.... its still hilarious coming from someone with a boat nearly 10metres bigger and at least $250K more than I paid for mine..
For quite a few around the world... your in that class...
sorry mate... its all down to 'Perspectives'...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 18:17   #28

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Boater education seems like Hunter/gun safety classes. I don't need it, but I sure want the other guy to have it.
Old 23-05-2011, 16:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Note: I don't have a boat operator permit from the USCG... I hold a license of 1600 ton Master upon Oceans and a 2nd Mate Unlimited tonnage upon Ocean. Which I believe will over qualify me for the much smaller vessels.
Also have loads of other endorsements along with the above.
Yes, with your license you are exempt. There are other exemptions besides age.

As to the other states, the (NASBLA) logo on the back of boat ed card will work in the majority of other US states. Not sure about Canada tho???

They implemented the same training in the ATV/OFF road world and it really did reduce the deaths and injuries. I had to take the boat ed for work. It is easy and after observing others who were taking the class, I am all for it.
bigjer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 16:53   #30

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
I just finished the free BoatUS lessons and test online and mailed my $10 lifetime fee to Oregon Marine Board. POC, fun, and I learned some stuff bout trailering and PWC, so I'm glad I did it.

My Cat 22 has 5hp OB so I wasn't required, but I am looking forward to the day I need it