Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 12:14   #16

Boat: Heritage 35
re: Maltreatment By Homeland Security

DeepFriz. Criminal code. Shipping regulations. don't remember the sec.#s Police need RPG or found comitting under the code to stop you for other than "safety checks" if it's for a safety check then invite them to follow you to your destination and then welcome them aboard. If it is recorded then you and they are protected if something gets damaged or someone injured. You wouldn't get away with it in a flat calm though!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-11-2012, 12:20   #17

Boat: OEM, proportional

Thanks for the inspiration for another idea: covert cctv recording various parts of vessel. Can also be fitted with motion detector for times when the boat is unattended....perhaps one can catch the dinghy/rigging thieves that way too. Worst case, someone finds the boat with recorded evidence of what happened aboard after the sailor pushed the "record" button.
Old 20-11-2012, 12:40   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

BTW Carrying ANY type of prescription medication outside of the original bottle is illegal. The correct way to carry your prescription: Straight from the DEA | Pharmer.org
Thanks... I did not know that. You have no idea how I long for the days (not that long ago) where one could drive to the border, wave a driver's license as you roll past, and get waved through.

In Europe there are not even border stations on most borders, with free flow back and forth. We in North America seemed to have gone the other way.
Old 20-11-2012, 12:45   #19

All of you guys that think this is a homeland security issue are sorely mistaken. I've been stopped and illegally searched 3 times in my little RV by small-town washington police dressed head to toe in swat gear.

My crime in a nutshell is that I'm very poor.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-11-2012, 12:45   #20

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Friends of ours, former cruisers moved from California to San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico.
They denounced their USA citizenship and have never looked back.
They are very happy with their decision which was made about 5 years ago.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-11-2012, 12:45   #21

Boat: Lagoon 440

Spoke to a German guy last week, him and his wife were on their way to Greece, AIS was on, it was a pleasant night they were under sail enjoying the evening.

He noticed a bright light above becoming brighter, a rope dropped off his Stb quarter from above and a marine slid down into the water, he called to the chopper via his VHF to no avail.

4 More men slid down into the water as he pulled away. It was a training exercise he learned later, it was performed by Swedes who contract to the Greek Government as the Greeks are incapable.

He was told that his AIS signal was all they needed to home in on and complete a pretend boarding, scared him shitless at the time but compared to this thread it was probably preferable!

The Cat was a Lagoon 440....

Cheers
Old 20-11-2012, 12:46   #22

Albro359:

ANZUS/TPP. Only a matter of time before even the south seas are not so peachy anymore; the Pax Americana will be found necessary even in the far south Pacific. Maybe to combat the penguin smuggling trade, or those heinous suicide-bombing opium-growing Antarcticans. Or, when China cashes in the bonds and finds handover of their property a little problematic. You don't think they're so keen on blue-water because they read CF threads, do you?
Old 20-11-2012, 12:47   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Mod Notice
Please stay away from personal sniping, we do enforce our "Be Nice" rule. Some posts have been removed.
Old 20-11-2012, 12:51   #24

Quote:
In Europe there are not even border stations on most borders, with free flow back and forth.
Carefully and discreetly monitored free flow. And should the need arise, no flow at all. It's happened many times before, with far less capability to lock down populations; when (not if) it's time again, new records will be set.
Old 20-11-2012, 13:06   #25
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I've talked to cpb, they were very interested to find if it was one of they're boats which it wasn't. All I could tell in the dark cloudy night is it was a large vhull with lots of engines on the transom. The people I talked to from the coast guard and customs were not happy with my account of the boarding and ernestly are trying to locate the officers who partook. I've received 4 phone calls from various agencies asking for details.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-11-2012, 13:09   #26

Boat: Rafiki 37

Canada is not immune from this increased border paranoia. We were stopped by Canada Border Service (or could have been RCMP) last summer while sailing in a very remote part of Lake Superior. They came out of no where in their zippy boat, and then pulled up beside us. Well armed, very serious looking. We were not boarded, perhaps b/c we were sailing and the conditions were not great for a transfer, but were questioned.

In the end, the main guy seemed more interested in learning about our Aries windvane, but the fact that they were patrolling an area so remote -- an area that probably doesn't seem more than a few dozen boats ALL SEASON -- really struck me as amazing (and not in a good way).
Old 20-11-2012, 13:10   #27

Cuban Navy? Columbian Cartel? Made you dump the pill cuz they were looking for bales?
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-11-2012, 13:21   #28

Boat: Skookum 53'

What would be fun is if you could catch them sneaking up on you and call in an SOS with the USCG, I would be interested to learn how that would get handled.
Old 20-11-2012, 13:23   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Now that is a scary thought. Maybe it was the bad guys looking to intercept some drugs they knew were going that direction. The Caribbean is not what it used to be, even five years ago.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-11-2012, 13:37   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Being accosted by armed men who show no ID is a perfectly good reason to set off a distress call.

Let the nice GungHo's explain themselves to the responders.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
security