Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 18:27   #61

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Maltreatment By Homeland Security

I've been boarded by the USCG, the Colombian Navy, and the Mexican Navy, as well as being stopped by various local police. Generally OK experiences, though back in the '80s when lots of drugs were being run from the Bahamas to the US coast they would come up with automatic weapons drawn and pointing right at you. One time we were boarded at night by the USCG while being circled by a small boat with M16s pointed at us, being covered by the big cutter with the mounted machine guns manned and pointed at us, and the boarding crew all had sidearms out and ready. Still, they always identified themselves and were pretty clear about what they were going to do. The worst was when we were offshore between the US and Bermuda and they decided to come aboard in a bad sea. One of the Coasties jumped at the wrong moment and I had to grab him by his belt and drag him with all my might in face first over the lifelines. He ended up face planting on the deck, but it was either that or he would have fallen between the two boats. At that point I got mad and started telling them what to do in order to prevent any injuries. The funny thing is it was too rough for them to carry weapons so they handed me a duffle bag stuffed with their guns and equipment and I dragged it back to the cockpit. They all got seasick real quick. They were drenched by the time they got back to their own boat, and I bet they spent the rest of the day drying and cleaning weapons.
Old 20-11-2012, 18:36   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30

Regardless of the acronym that the agency carries, the universal trampling of rights is disturbing. Currently, we do not sail in, or close to, international waters, however, I will be flying next week. Although I will comply with the request to remove my footwear before walking through security, I will also be vocal on my opinion regarding the theatre of the entire situation.
Anonymous7500 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-11-2012, 18:37   #63

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray-Cat View Post
For me (as a Canadian) it's hard to relate to the mindset of the US
I like the weather,but I sure don't want to live there

Here is an example of Canadian enforcement from 15 years back when I was commercial fishing
These gentlemen show a friendly attitude ,don't you think
These officers from fisheries and oceans, are tasked with enforcing the federal fisheries regulations
They haled my boat and asked permission to come aboard
They used hand held video cameras as well as taking still pictures during the boarding
I grabbed my camera and took a pic
Lest you think this was just a friendly stop,it was most certainly was not
I was fishing in a closed fishing area illegally (part of a protest fishery with other boats participating)
They checked out my boat ,determined that I was illegally fishing,and handed me a court summons
Their attitude was great, and they received from me and my crew cooperation and good attitude in response
I think some of the us enforcement agencies should take into account that they are dealing with their citizens,and treat others as they would be liked to be treated themselves
I guess my mindset is in your case who is the government to tell me where I can fish and why do I have to have a license to do so.
AirBoyzT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-11-2012, 20:29   #64

Boat: csy 37

Had an odd experience a few years ago.

We were six old guys on a cs 36 in the fort lauderdale to key west race. About 2 am we were running west just off the reef line, about 20 miles east of the key west sea bouy, when a really bright light was suddenly shone upon us from seaward. We could make out nothing, so the skipper got his super high power searchlight and shone it right back at them. After a few seconds they put their light out and we could see what appeared to be an all black go fast boat turning away from us. We all believe it was one of those homeland security boats but of course can't prove it.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-11-2012, 03:08   #65
Armchair Bucketeer

Why not put out a Securité / All ships warning on the VHF......

"Unidentified persons are attempting to force a boarding - please avoid my position as risk of gunfire".

"Am engaging".
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-11-2012, 03:13   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Um, NOPE

it's 12 miles from the mainland and 12 miles around Catalina
Catalina is only 22 miles offshore, you never leave US Waters unless you are coming from San Diego.

the POPO lied.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-11-2012, 04:34   #67

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
There was a few paragraphs somewhere I read that "they"were wanting to pass a mandatory AIS for all vessels. Now i know why.

Somehow the Patriot act is not at all Patriotic.

I'm sure you are just scratching the surface. Something tells me there are units we have not even heard of...yet...MIB?
We are having AIS fitted as i type!!! Along with Lifetag,

We decided the pro's for AIS were very good, as you move from country to country you will be watched, this has an advantage of not being questioned as you sail past a country that is embargoed and may prevent being harangued.

Of course you can turn it off at any time to avoid a hostile situation but imagine being watched and you bump the switch for a period only to restore it an hour or two later, oh here comes the amarda over the horizon!!!

I think i'll fit an arming switch like you see on the fighter planes, red button with folding cap LOL.....
Old 21-11-2012, 04:53   #68

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
People please don't relate the coast guard boardings to what I experienced. I am boarded by the coastguard annually and welcome them aboard. They are courteous, professional and respectful to a very high degree. They go through a prescribed list checking for legal requirements and I've never had them digging through napsacks drawers and personal possessions. I consider them to be above contempt and respect them immensely for the service they do. They do not belong in this discussion imho.
650 miles East of Hatteras, they are respected 2nd only to GOD.
Old 21-11-2012, 05:30   #69
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
650 miles East of Hatteras, they are respected 2nd only to GOD.
A few thousand miles further east they are treated the same as GOD. Neither exist .

Of course that means none of us around these parts are kept "free" by our gubberments and will likely all be going to hell .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-11-2012, 05:39   #70

Earlier this year I was sailing toward Port Jefferson harbor in Long Island Sound. I saw an armed Coast Guard inflatable head out of the harbor and then the turned and came up behind me. They informed me that the Bridgeport ferry was coming out and I needed to wait until it was clear. Even though I know it really is not necessary since the entrance has plenty of room. I acknowledged their "request". They then went off and stopped a fishing vessel heading in too. I don't get bent out of shape with such stops they are either just training and/or doing their job. Both of which I am glad to see. I've also often been intercepted heading down or up the East River in New York when the UN is in session. But, usually I am well aware that this will happen because they make the announcements on the VHF about the security restrictions for several days before and during those times.
Old 21-11-2012, 06:05   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

The USCG are pros! The Army? Not-so-much......
The rest of the story here
Old 21-11-2012, 06:40   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post
The border search exception is a doctrine of United States criminal law that allows searches and seizures at international borders and their functional equivalent without a warrant or probable cause; as otherwise required under the Fourth Amendment.
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/homesec/RL31826.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-11-2012, 07:11   #73

Maybe they were impersonating and actually mere robbers?? Not from any gov't agency..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-11-2012, 08:06   #74

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
People please don't relate the coast guard boardings to what I experienced. I am boarded by the coastguard annually and welcome them aboard. They are courteous, professional and respectful to a very high degree. They go through a prescribed list checking for legal requirements and I've never had them digging through napsacks drawers and personal possessions. I consider them to be above contempt and respect them immensely for the service they do. They do not belong in this discussion imho.
I second. USCG are heroes. Like I said in my earlier post, CBP are dubious at best.
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-11-2012, 09:17   #75

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous7500 View Post
Regardless of the acronym that the agency carries, the universal trampling of rights is disturbing. Currently, we do not sail in, or close to, international waters, however, I will be flying next week. Although I will comply with the request to remove my footwear before walking through security, I will also be vocal on my opinion regarding the theatre of the entire situation.
That will likely get you a private audience with the sensuous Mr Blue Gloves. And/or confiscation of any valuables or essentials you may have with you, and probably sufficient delay to make you miss your flight, perhaps even your name on the no-fly list. It just isn't funny anymore. I estimate you folks are at approximately 1938, in a historical sense.

Tags
security