Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 12:23   #196

Re: Maltreatment By Homeland Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
One reason you might get asked a seemingly odd or dumb question at a TSA check point is that they are just fishing for your reaction more than the answer.
That is certainly possible. Another reason, of course, is that the person asking the question is simply dumb. Now, if I had to bet money on it, which way would I bet?
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-01-2013, 12:34   #197

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I once used my A.B. seaman's card as ID while in line to be screened and the TSA guy didn't know what to do with it, he asked me if I had a driver's license instead. And I explained to him that it was federal ID and no I did not have a driver's license. He had to take it to his supervisor to get the okay. I once did the same thing with my TWIC card in a different airport and received the same response. The supposedly trained TSA agents could not even recognize federal ID. I tried to get one of those trusted traveler status and went through all the hoops and could not arrange an interview so that I could be called "Trusted" and not have to wait in line with all the other passport bearers. Since I could not make the interview within the alotted time interval they got to keep my $100.00 bucks and I got to stand in line some more.
I went on a work related trip this past week to a military base. I presented my military ID as I always do and normally acceptable on its own. but me and my passenger were both asked to present our drivers license too.

There have been other times I've been asked for additional ID. When I was stationed in Germany, I constantly was asked for a second form of ID to get on the base. I don't think it would be a problem to be asked for a second form of ID to verify identity but if you don't have additional ID, there's nothing much you can do about it.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-01-2013, 15:59   #198

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
One reason you might get asked a seemingly odd or dumb question at a TSA check point is that they are just fishing for your reaction more than the answer. That is standard operating procedure with some customs/immigration/border patrol types. I have noticed in recent years such seemingly random questions when crossing borders.
I think you are giving them way too much credit. I watched them make an elderly West Micigan Dutch woman ballance at her walker while they pulled off her peds (in Grand Rapids). The dozen or so swarthy middle eastern looking young men behind her laughed their a%*&#^ off. I also watched them work over my 84 year old mother with a med card when her metal hip set off the machine. You forget, they used to confiscate nail clippers. You can't fix stupid and this nation is suffering a serious case.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 14-01-2013, 16:53   #199
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Totally fake TSA photos - I mean who gets through with their shoes on??????

BTW - Who could travel in those shoes...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 24-01-2013, 20:56   #200

Here's another dis-satisfied customer of the CBP.

Bumbling from Miami to Bimini and an encounter with the Powers That Be | Sail Feed

Being in the military, I've seen this type of behaviour while deployed and it really gets to me that people are so rude.
Old 26-01-2013, 14:03   #201

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Here's another dis-satisfied customer of the CBP.

Bumbling from Miami to Bimini and an encounter with the Powers That Be | Sail Feed

Being in the military, I've seen this type of behaviour while deployed and it really gets to me that people are so rude.

Very interesting.
The part I liked the least was;
Quote:
Then they ran our passports and dodged questions about their names and badge numbers (we were given a phone number for their 'supervisor')
And about the damages. Well if the boat was as described it would be hard to prove I guess.
Old 26-01-2013, 14:38   #202

This article is interesting about Coast Guard Boardings.

Coast Guard Boardings and Your Fourth Amendment Rights, Part 1 | Sail Feed
Old 26-01-2013, 15:09   #203

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
This article is interesting about Coast Guard Boardings.

Coast Guard Boardings and Your Fourth Amendment Rights, Part 1 | Sail Feed
Yes.

And from what I have read here and elsewhere it is only the Coast Guard that can board without probable cause.

All others ( County Sheriff, City police, Game and Fish, etc) cannot.

Though it might be pretty hard to convince the guy (or gal ) with the gun at the crucial moment.
Old 26-01-2013, 15:18   #204
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30

Boarding agency radio call "S/V, prepare for boarding. Maintain course and speed"

S/V "Confirmed. Be advised, nudist on board"
Anonymous7500 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-01-2013, 16:45   #205
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous7500
Boarding agency radio call "S/V, prepare for boarding. Maintain course and speed"

S/V "Confirmed. Be advised, nudist on board"
You want to attract them.......!!!

Dave
Old 30-01-2013, 11:41   #206

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

If this meeting between a congressional delegation and Houston port officials is a harbinger, it would appear further militarization of US ports is in the offing. It is a 1.25 minute tv news report of meeting.

Homeland Security panel head talks port security | Watch the video - Yahoo! News
Old 30-01-2013, 12:10   #207

Boat: OEM, proportional

Well, you are at war with somebodyorother, you know. Debating who exactly that is would be amusing and instructive, but probably verboten.
Old 30-01-2013, 13:03   #208
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Speakeasy, there is nothing in that news blurb that would indicate any type of "militarization" has been discussed or proposed. What they said is that some Congresscritters want to spend more federal money on programs for security and dredging.

Security in major ports has always fallen to local PD and the USCG, and you may be aware that these days the majority owner of the USCG is DHS, which is why DHS would have been at the meeting.

Dredging is again done both locally and by the USACE, and yes, again, that's the military. So the Army and Coast Guard, both already operating in all major ports, would be given more money to expand existing operations. I wouldn't call that "militarization", nothing is being taken away, no new military operations are being moved in.

Micah-
Speaking of which, American has not been at war since the WW2 armistices were signed. Korea was not a war, Vietnam was not a war, the Gulf actions were not a war. Afghanistan is not a war. What they are, are arguably illegal military operations because in the US, under the Constitution, the United States only goes to war if Congress signs a formal Declaration of War, and that hasn't been done since Pearl Harbor. The fact that the War Power Act was supposed to prevent another Vietname and Congress has somehow ignored that concept and repeatedly funded the illegal operations...that's something else again.

If they sign a formal declaration of war and you committ treason, you probably hang. No declaration? No war, you probably get life in beautiful Levinworth, Kansas. These little things count. Imagine how much good rope would be wasted, hanging all those Congresscritters for treason if we really were at war.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2013, 13:10   #209
Armchair Bucketeer

The upside of not having a war is that you don't get to lose a war.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2013, 13:18   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The upside of not having a war is that you don't get to lose a war.
That is right and it is very important too.

Because today everybody must be able to keep thier self esteem high and no one is allowed to do or say anything that might lower it.

mollycoddlemisfitstodaygawdtheonesturningoverinthi ergraveswhatanawfulpicklehumphthenewordercrapshees hwhatnonsense

Tags
security