Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 17:57   #31

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
you absolutely cannot lose your citizenship by violating tax laws. Yes, you should obey the tax laws or the IRS will make your life very miserable (and expensive). But just because you get in trouble with the IRS does NOT mean you are no longer a citizen. You are a citizen forever unless you renounce it (or swear allegiance to a foreign government which is taken to be a renunciation)
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 17:38   #32

Boat: C&C Mega 30
don't get citizenship and residence confused

You can't loose citizenship, as many other posters have clearly pointed out.

But if you are a permanent resident (green card) and not a citizen then yes, you can loose you're permanent resident status by not being preset in the US for some period of time.
wannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 19:27   #33

Boat: Pearson 323
Well, I thought about this topic/topics and have determined that in the scheme of things that with coming new world order cruising sailers will become like the novel "Man Without a Country"
You will have to request citizenship and be put in a pool just like insurance. Those with plenty of money will get the 1st world countries and the rest will have to settle for 3rd world countries but have to heavy cruising fees in the 1st world countries or stay in the 3rd world's cruising waters.
Rayallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 21:15   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Many things are mixed up in this thread.... I am no expert either, but this is what I know (and I come back on topic in the end, don't worry):

- You have a country of birth. Basically, you can always go back there or other nations can send you back there if they have seen enough of you... This is why they (THEY) always want to know your country (even city sometimes) of birth.

- You have citizenship. Standard issue is citizen of the nation you are born in but you can subscribe to more of these clubs, getting a passport of each one. They don't like that but there's not much they can do besides empty threats. Their problem is that they would end up fighting each other instead of getting your wallet.

- You have domicile. This is where you live, have an address etc. When you emigrate you leave and when you immigrate, you come. The funny thing is that they can't handle people that emigrate but never immigrate elsewhere. This is good to remember: they can't handle this, there's no forms that apply. There's many words describing your status when you do this, Gypsy being just one.

We emigrated from Holland and never immigrated anywhere. We're "lost", they don't know what to do about it. But law in Holland says that when you emigrate and have no income from work, you don't pay tax. When you immigrate, that country would be interested in your tax contributions. Some are not, the tax havens, but life is expensive in Monaco and that apartment is just out of reach so never immigrating makes sense. That is, if you are not an US citizen, in which case you are ...

The domicile thing can be taken away from you when you don't spend enough time in their club, don't own a good enough house or whatever they can come up with. Basically, they want your wallet and if you're not spending, they are not interested anymore.

For cruisers, there are many "clubs" that have good deals for "pensionado's". You can get their brochures and select the one you really like. Some have cheap "green card" schemes, others throw in some passports etc. They love to get some of that hard earned pension! Panama is in favor at the moment. Venezuela has some trouble lately, it won't be long before they give away passports (down to $500 now I heard). Curacao also lowered the contribution fee's I heard (must buy house etc. but only 5% tax)

You must understand that it's all about money and that you're always okay when you like the nation you're born in or have it's membership card (passport). The tricky thing is when you want to hold on to that "green card" like domicile scheme because they make the rules for that, can change them and actualle enforce them.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 11:10   #35

Maintaining Citizenship right after getting it

Hello Everyone!
I want to add/expand on the original question:

Does anyone know if it is possible to leave USA for a few years immediately after being naturalized? If not, what is the minimum time one must remain in the country following the naturalization? Any help is greatly appreciated.
pd_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 11:24   #36

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Even if an American renounces his/her citizenship, US law still obligates such former citizens to file US tax returns and pay US taxes on worldwide income for ten more years.

Here's a link to an on-point article in the International Herald Tribune:

Americans abroad are giving up citizenship for lower taxes - International Herald Tribune

TaoJones
That article is interesting. It stated that they tried to pass the law for taxes for ten more years after renouncing citizenship. That would be kinda hard to enforce seeing that the US would have to go thru a lot of trouble to collect the taxes from a non-citizen.

Anyone here on these boards renounced US citizenship?
Old 27-08-2009, 12:32   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, pd_dc.

We are (especially I ) a VERY knowledgeable group; but your query might best be addressed to the USCIS:

USCIS Home Page

USCIS - Citizenship

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 13:14   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, pd_dc.

We are (especially I ) a VERY knowledgeable group; but your query might best be addressed to the USCIS:

USCIS Home Page

USCIS - Citizenship
Thank you so much for such "helpful" and "sincere" reply. Please make sure that everyone who contributed to this post (since they're all talking of citizenship issue) read this "great" and so far from sarcastic reply. Please be so kind and read the thread one more time and then tell me if I am way off with my question.
Old 27-08-2009, 13:51   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
pd_dc:
Please accept my apologies, for any unintended insult.

I’m sorry, if you felt that my suggestion was insincere or sarcastic. It certainly wasn’t intended that way.

I thought the links I provided were exactly on point; and that they might be helpful.

Having re-read the entire thread, I realize that some excellent general advice has been offered.

In fact, this is exactly the kind of thread I might be tempted to offer my own advice, generally based upon a very little knowledge and a little more research. When doing so, I often support my opinions with references to acknowledged experts, and/or links to “official” sources.

My previous post omitted my opinions, and may have appeared rather brusque, merely linking to better sources of accurate information, than I.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 15:41   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
pd_dc:
Please accept my apologies, for any unintended insult.

I’m sorry, if you felt that my suggestion was insincere or sarcastic. It certainly wasn’t intended that way.
Apologies accepted and in turn I ask for you to accept my apologies for being so quick to put my ugly reply. Im glad we were able to talk it out :-)
Old 27-08-2009, 17:24   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd_dc View Post
Hello Everyone!
I want to add/expand on the original question:

Does anyone know if it is possible to leave USA for a few years immediately after being naturalized? If not, what is the minimum time one must remain in the country following the naturalization? Any help is greatly appreciated.
My wife and I were living overseas when she obtained citizenship through naturalization. We left the US 5 days after the swearing in as we had to wait for her new US passport.

Once you are a citizen you are a citizen.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 17:40   #42

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I know various naturalized Americans. There ARE rules about being here while the process of naturalization is going on. Once you are in the club though, you are just like everyone else and can come and go as you please. But the IRS will still find you.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 19:55   #43

Thanks so much for the replies. Yes, we plan to keep our IRS duties spotless as we will be coming back in a few years. We just wanna live in the big wide world for a little bit, but USA is and will be our home.
Old 28-08-2009, 18:48   #44
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Until you become a resident of another state...you will still be liable for taxes....

At least that is the way it is in The Peoples Undemocratic Repubic of Maryland.
Motto " If there is any joy in it...we tax it"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 20:28   #45

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
If you renounce US citizenship to avoid taxes in the US, it would be next to impossible for the IRS to collect anything from you. If you bank out of Cuba,Venezuela, Brazil it would almost guarantee that The US couldn't touch your assets. Ten years---in thier dreams and only if you don't have a brain to think with.
The only people I know of who don't have to file a yearly return are those living on Social Security with no other income.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote