Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 22:03   #166

Boat: Wanted: Schionning Arrow 1360'ish
Re: Lost crew captain charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That will be a relief for him, he can now put it behind him and get on with his life..

tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:21   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I am surprised that he did not head for the closest port on day 2 seeing as the guys condition was deteriorating rapidly and he was non functional.. welfare and consideration of crew.. also refusing to do an MOB in perfect conditions I find astonishing to be frank.

Regarding the guy who says one cannot turn a boat like that around in the middle of the ocean, he needs to go back to sailing school.

Lots of unknowns but I can see why the case is being brought.

Agree 100%. Looks like the poor deadman had a decompensating medical condition since very early on...
Why not look for the closest port or radio/call land for assistance/recommendations ?.
Watching someone sink and observe without action is just heartless ( I hope this didn’t happen ).

soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:46   #168
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lost crew captain charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by soares29 View Post
Agree 100%. Looks like the poor deadman had a decompensating medical condition since very early on...
Why not look for the closest port or radio/call land for assistance/recommendations ?.
Watching someone sink and observe without action is just heartless ( I hope this didn’t happen ).
It will put a question mark on his chartering..
But then again mabe not.. The public have the memory span of gnats these days.

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:49   #169

Boat: Valiant 42

I guess not very many of us know when an erratic person's behavior will switch from annoying to a full psychotic break. It can happen pretty fast.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:08   #170

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I guess not very many of us know when an erratic person's behavior will switch from annoying to a full psychotic break. It can happen pretty fast.
Many years ago I was solicited to act as the skipper of a charter yacht in the BVI for a group from a social organization I then participated in. Among the group was a young woman--early 30's perhaps--that seemed rather hyperkinetic to me at times. Having some misgivings about this woman, and how she'd function in the close confines of a boat over an extended period, I decided to have the group I was to lead come for an introductory "mini-cruise" to Catalina Island on my own boat for a long weekend beforehand.

As it turned out, the woman was "rapturous" as we were departing Angles Gate for the island in the early morning of the day of departure. Not long after, however, the wind came up and conditions deteriorated and the trip to Two Harbors became a long, cold, wet, slog to weather in big seas. With this, the woman's mood and demeanor rapidly deteriorated. After having long passed the halfway mark, she began demanding that we abandon the effort and return to Long Beach. Her demands rapidly became louder, and more insistent, despite being assured that we were much closer to relief on the island than would be the case if we reversed course by me and several of the other members of the group. Realizing that she wasn't going to get her way, she shortly worked herself into a full up rage and finally had to be physically dragged below deck by two of the other crew aboard.

Once we'd secured to moorings at Two Harbors, she reappeared in the cockpit with her gear and demanded she be put ashore post haste so she could take the Express boat back to Long Beach. Because of her continued level of agitation, one of the other crew--another lady--volunteered to accompany her to ensure she made it without undue difficulty. The volunteer later reported that she re-initiated her rage on the return to the mainland, evidently fueled by several drinks or more on the Express boat.

Needless to say, I was glad that we had done the mini-cruise as, after having done so, I decided against accepting the BVI trip when the organizers refused to exclude that woman from the cruise although they did offer the put her with a group on a different boat. I learned later that the women made the whole trip miserable for the boat she was on, and, from a mutual friend with whom I discussed the affair, that she suffered from bi-polar disorder, verging on schizophrenia, and quickly went sideways when she went off her medications--which disagreed with her otherwise--or consumed any alcohol (of which she was quite fond).

Taking aboard a crew with whom one is unfamiliar, who may have undisclosed medical or mental conditions that could manifest themselves during the course of a cruise, is, in my view, extremely unwise and, potentially, a recipe for serious trouble as behaviors can go sideways very quickly under less that ideal conditions

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:11   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrick2011 View Post
I worked as captain 25 years,he should have called CG any way possible when the trouble started.Law requires that you always a temp to recover any person that goes overboard.The captain has the right to restrain any person that approaches him in a threatening manner.
A captain has more than a right to restrain someone that "approaches him in a threatening manner" he/she has an obligation to protect the vessel and crew from anyone that displays a potential for harm. The threat does not have to be overt. I am however disturbed by the gun comments, having had hundreds of crew over the years and my share of "incidents" a gun has never been necessary or desirable and in my opinion only adds to the problem. I should point out these aren't "yachty" crew but fishing crewmembers from all over the globe most with no seagoing experience and "spotty" backgrounds.

fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, crew, lost