Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2006, 20:34   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Question Log Book Entries

This is something that I tend to procrastinate on but I'd kinda like to get an idea of how other small vessel (under 80') cap'ns make their entries.

I've seen pre-printed log books that have inserts for weather, course and bunch of other stuff I wouldn't really have much use for.

Are there any real requirements or is it just an open book where one just puts in what they like?

Myself, I just make notes as I go of my departure time, destination, L & L, when I get there and times related to events. At the end of the day while anchored out or tied-up I try to make the entry (unlikely). I still have notes from last year and was just making the entries. The main reason for this thread.

.................................................. ...................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 21:22   #2

Generally, you might've answered your own question, del ?

Just log in departure location. General heading. Longitude & Latitiude. And calendar date.

Some people want to ge farther than just what I listed. But, it's not really necessary. I'm not going farther than what I listed above.

That's my two cents!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 09:29   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
One thing mentioned elsewhere and VERY worthy of consideration:

Be SURE to log when you turn any navigation light on/off or when you initiate sounding fog signals. During the inquiry after any collision at sea (heaven forbid) those entries will make a difference between large and small liability awards. Also be sure to note that you observed the navigation light was functioning properly - especially in the case of anchor lights.

Old 17-05-2006, 11:07   #4

Boat: C&C 27
Along with the lights you may also want to make a note of any significant navigation action, for example: heard PAN PAN from XYZ boat, crossed shipping lane, turned at waypoint.... I also make log records of repairs and improvements to the boat, inspections, people I meet, etc. I do keep weather records but unless there is a significant change only on a daily basis. If I want to remember it it goes in the log. Generally I start a log entry each morning and leave it on the table making short one line entries during the day and recapping in the evening.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 12:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
It should be noted that a Ship’s Logbook is competent evidence against her, but the courts have usually refused to admit the log as evidence in the ship's favor, on the ground that it is a "self-serving" document.
In other words, log entries can be used against you, but not necessarily for you.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 12:39   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
This is one task I have to hang my head in shame with. I hardly ever make a log entry and even when I start one on a longer trip, I alwasy fail to continue it. I am dislexic (as you probably have already seen) and so one of the difficulties with Dslicex's is paper work.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 22:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
If I'm out for just a day sail, I'll just jot a few things down on a pad of paper and flesh it out later in my log (electronic).

If making a passage, I'll make regular detailed log entries (also on paper - to transcribe later). My log entries contain Date and time, heading, lat & long, SOG & COG and any other observation I feel is noteworthy.

I also log significant items accomplished - such as when and what bright work was done, zincs replaced, bottom cleaned and so on.

These log entries are primarily for my own benefit. Also come in handy when I write up any of my little adventures (these are mostly therapeutic in nature, but a few have escaped to public domain).
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 00:28   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thanks all for the replies. It seems if one wants to get any kind of Cap'ns license from the Coasties, one has to prove sea time as one of the prerequisites.

Myself I have a lot of time out on the water but seem to have no way to prove it other then the ownership of so many boats.

I wonder if the 4 years of cruising around the Pacific, while in the Navy, would count?....................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 01:47   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Any logged Sea time while under the supervision of a skipper as far as I understand.
I have the same problem here. I have spent my whole life on boats, but I have no logged time. For the licence I want so as I can do what Sean is doing, I have to have logged time on a commercial vessel. I don't really want to do that. A small amount of logged time on my own boat goes toward it, but mostly it is commercial that is required.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 02:44   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sea Service Requirements for USCG Masters Licence:

- OUPV* (“Six Pac”) require 360 eight-hour days aboard vessels.

- Near Coastal OUPV require 90 eight hour days in Near Coastal waters and 270 eight-hour days on Inland waters.

- Inland Master require 360 eight-hour days aboard vessels.

- Near Coastal Masters need 360 eight-hour days in Near Coastal waters plus 360 eight-hour days on Inland waters.

All licenses require 90 days sea service within the past three years on the waters for which you are applying.

Documentation of Sea Service

- Signature of owner on small vessel sea service form. If the vessel owner is the license applicant, proof of ownership must be included. One day of service consists of a minimum of four hours underway, not at the dock. You can claim only one day in a 24 hour day.
http://www.nemaritime.com/pdf/uscg719s.pdf

- Letter of service from the vessel owner ( supplemental Small Boat Experience Letter)

- Certificate of discharge

- Transcript of military sea service (Military and foreign vessel time is evaluated by the Coast Guard)

* OUPV - Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (6 passengers or less)

Lots more information: http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/
or 46 CFR 1-40
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...6cfrv1_05.html

Old 18-05-2006, 04:42   #11

Boat: C&C 27
This logging of sea time for the six pack can be described as 'flexible'. I spoke with a couple of the schools here in Texas who train and test for the six pack and both said that that documenting time was not an issue if you own your own boat. I suspect that is true since I know two "fishing guides" (read rich guys who wanted a write off for their fishing gear) who managed to get their six packs without real seatime documentation.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 08:19   #12

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Flexible yes, but they DO check records. If you claim to have owned a USCG Documented vessel, they will try to match up the dates of your reported sea time with your ownership period. They also do this for time claimed under supervision - the documented vessel should at least be non-fictitious.

I would assume that they spot-check this as they don't have the manpower to check each and every claimant.

Old 18-05-2006, 11:10   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
Not mandatory for small private vessels

Delmarvy, As far as I know there is no legal requirement in the States for keeping a log on a small private vessel. However, there may be several practical reasons for wanting to do so. But practicality is somewhat subjective and defined in what ones needs are and what makes you feel good. Several cruising sailors have told me that they do not keep a log. Others have very extremely detailed logs, especially of passages. As for what I do: I have a log book that I keep on the boat. I also have two small separate log books that I acquired some years ago when I was a member of ASA and US Sailing. Those books are mainly for sign off when I do trips on other boats (friends, charter, etc) and the main purpose is to use if and when I want to get USCG Captain's license which up to now I have not tried to do. My ships' log book is a commercially available one that I bought at a chandelry and has sections devoted to trips, maintenance and repairs, fuel purchase and consumption, radio usuage, etc. I am meticulous regarding anything regarding fuel purchase and consumption and maintenance and repairs. I almost never log day sails unless something very, very notable occurs. Likewise, I do not log radio traffic unless something very notable occurs. Notable to me means things like if I call PAN PAN to announce my presence to a freighter which I detect on radar that seems to be bearing down on me. I keep log notes on all my passages. Those notes usually include general things like time of departure and arrival, places and ports visited, names of crew, general weather and significant (to me) events of the day. Significant happenings may include such things as equipment malfunction or breakage, encounters with other vessels while at sea, etc. I try to record notes daily but sometimes it is not practical if the seas are very high. Then I just do my best to remember what has happened on previous days. Remembering can be more difficult than you may think. As if sleeping for 3 and 4 hour periods for several days is not enough to interfere with memory, short handed sailing can sometimes mean sailing when being extremely tired and sleep deprived as what can occur on rough passages when the Captain can be called out to assist the other crew on watch. On open water passages and sometimes while coastal cruising I maintain a log in which I record every couple of hours the latitude and logitude, heading and speed. My Raymarine chart plotter has a log function that can automatically record the boats lat. and long. every half hour. I made this log on ruled paper as a form that I could make multiple copies of. This I do in case I have a shut down of my boats GPS. I carry a hand held GPS as a backup, but that requires frequent battery changes when using it continuously. I have had electrical system failures in which the boats GPS went down and it was real comforting to know that I could plot my past course on paper charts and using DR techniques have a chance of hitting land somewhere in the general vicinity of where I wanted to go. (Yes, I am another one of the many sailors who procrastinate on learning Celestial Nav. But even if one knows celestial there are many times when the weather can be overcast for days and nights on end.) And regarding the comments that a boats log could be used against you but never to help you. I have had cruisers who did not keep an official boat log tell me that was one of the reasons they did not keep one. As for example, should they for whatever reason need to go somewhere that they should not be or seen something that maybe they should not have seen, a log of their activities may be like shooting themselves in the foot. This is a wordy response. Guess I have too much spare time on hand today. Cheers!
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 11:57   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wouldn’t bother using it - but kinda neat ...

Latitudes and Attitudes BoatNotes Software
Scroll Down For The Links To Your FREE L&A BoatNotes Software Download
http://www.xchangingminds.com/latsat...otes/index.htm

Vessel Log, RouteLog, UnderWay, CruiseLeg Mileage, Weather Watch
Documentation, Maintenance / Repair, Reference Items, Race Records, Collectors
Provisioning, Stowage, The Galley, Excursion Journal, SeaSide Review
Calendar Section, People Contact, Photographs, Custom Area

Old 18-05-2006, 13:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
I wouldn’t bother using it - but kinda neat ...
I'm curious, is it a software log in general that you wouldn't bother using, or this one in particular.
JGarrick is offline   Reply With Quote