Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 10:36   #1

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B
Legalities, Bimini On a Boat Not In My Name

Our new boat is 2 months away from being paid off, however we are considering (weather dependent) a trip to Bimini for about a week next month. Is it possible to check in on a boat not registered to you? Anything I should be aware of? I've searched, but it's been really vague and haven't been able to find any answers..

We are so close to paying it off, but didn't quite make it before our slated month off. We are trying to decide between Dry Tortugas again, or since my son and I are doing a lot of diving, Bimini would be nice for a few weeks.

Thanks..
Old 12-08-2014, 10:41   #2

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: Legalities, Bimini On a Boat Not In My Name

Since people take charter boats internationally and captain other people's boats, I assume there is a means. Have you checked noonsite?
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:01   #3

As.long as you have a registration for the boat you are fine. And each person needs a passport. Other than that they just want your money. Either $150 or $300 depending on length.
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:06   #4

That's what I thought, but I haven't been able to get a definite answer via forums or even noonsite.. I'll keep searching, but otherwise I'm going with that ;-)

We have everything else in order, passports etc.
Old 12-08-2014, 14:56   #5

Boat: csy 37

Just out of curiosity, you apparently have a loan on the boat but it's not registered in your name? I can understand not having the title as that is held by the lender until the loan is paid off. But you should have registration or some paper showing you are legally responsible for the boat. If you do, then just add your passports and you are good to go.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 07:05   #6

I'm with onestepcsy37. Even if you haven't paid off the loan in full, you should still be the legal owner of the boat. Just like I am the legal owner of my home, even though a bank holds a mortgage on it. You should have some sort of paperwork that indicates that you are the legal owner. And if the boat is registered in Florida, then it most DEFINITELY should be registered in your name.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 07:33   #7

That is correct your name should be on the title and you should have title in hand the person with the loan should have a lien on that title until you satisfied that lean I hope you're not going to get screwed here. Maybe you bought it from a family member or something like that but sometimes it's a little bit different
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 19:32   #8

No "Loan" on the boat, we were in the middle of selling our other boat and the owner of our current boat sold it to us with 1 year to pay it off. We sold our old boat and are now very close but haven't yet got it paid off. The boat stays in his name until it is paid in full.. We have a very nice contract drawn up by a lawyer, notarized etc. I have all the registration paperwork as well as the documentation paperwork, it's just not in my name yet.

Hope that helps clear it up..
Old 13-08-2014, 19:48   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

So it is owned by a third private party not a bank.

If you have the papers I see no issue. May want to bring a copy of your contract or a letter from the "owner." as a back up.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 21:30   #10

Boat: csy 37

You have no state title or registration in your name, but do have a purchase contract with the registered owner of the boat - hopefully notarized. You could ask the owner to give you xeroxes of his title and registration along with a notarized letter giving you permission to take his boat out of the country. Bahamas customs might accept it and they might not; it's a bit of a grey area.

Or you could just wait until you own the boat...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, legal