Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2015, 00:45   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: LED Flare alternative approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
BTW, don't night vision goggles work on infrared? That would explain the lack of seeing a LED light source, no heat to speak of.
No, not quite. The quick and ditry explanation of NVG is they require light to work but only small amounts of light and they work better with some frequencies than other. Right now I forget the numbers

In essence, they are like tens of thousands of small electronic cameras in so far they take light, convert to electricity, then amplify the electricty and finally convert it back to light.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:34   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Someone is going to need to tell US boaters that a blinking white light "could be" a mayday.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:39   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Someone is going to need to tell US boaters that a blinking white light "could be" a mayday.
I think you just did.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:49   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Does anyone know if this change is in progress also in the international rules, or is it a USCG only initiative?
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:37   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
If you read their site you can also hoist it into rigging. Photo shows it in water but not only way to deploy. I prefer the green light laser though NOT USCG approved substitute. R
I agree on the Green LED. There were some tests conducted showing one of those with superior performance to red or yellow. I think having one CG approved and any other devices is a good plan. I just like not messing with or storing or even using flames is a good option to have. Many places now do not permit a flare launcher (pistol type). This then is an OK substitute for the necessities without having to buy pretty expensive pyrotechnics every three years.

We have a large drawer of seal-a-meal packed old flares. Probably about a bushel of them.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:47   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Does not look like a flare substitute. More like a buoy light?

It was interesting to see those EU designed 'laser flares' switch to 'LED flares' some time back while keeping the price same (company was I think ODEO or something similar). Wonder if anything to do with trying to get into the more regulated US market.

The info on their site pretty raw. I will browse for a video perhaps.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:20   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The green "laser flares" may be more effective simply because the human eye actually only sees three colors, red, blue, and green. (Our brains "deduce" yellow from the blue/vs/green percentages.) And out of the three? We are most sensitive to a particular yellow-green frequency, so "a little bit" of a green light will (appear to) be brighter than any other color at the same strength.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:59   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The green "laser flares" may be more effective simply because the human eye actually only sees three colors, red, blue, and green. (Our brains "deduce" yellow from the blue/vs/green percentages.) And out of the three? We are most sensitive to a particular yellow-green frequency, so "a little bit" of a green light will (appear to) be brighter than any other color at the same strength.
As a slight clarification regarding the colors we see, we see with only the three cone receptors you mention, 'red', 'green', and 'blue-violet' (plus rods which are sensitive only to black, white and shades of grey), but we do see the full range of colors in the visible light spectrum spectrum from violet (near ultraviolet) through red (near infrared). However, the sensitivity of these receptors is a bell-shaped curve, most sensitive at the colors named.

Theory of color
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 13:12   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
This is only a problem with certain red light wavelengths. The Sirius SOS Distress Light appears to be white light.

See Night vision goggles may not detect certain red LEDs, says FAA - LEDs

It would be prudent to check the wavelength of any red emergency light, see the above link for details.

- Rusty
I got a reply from Greatland regarding their lasers, and the Red is 650 nm, which is 15nm below the range of night vision goggles (NVG's) approved for civil aviation (having a Class B Minus Blue Filter) are only sensitive to energy ranging from 665 to ~930 nm. Their green would also be below this range.

It seems odd that approved NVGs don't encompass the full range of FAA requirements for "Aviation Red" light from about 610-700 nm.

To be safe, I'd suggest verifying any emergency light emitting device is within the 665 to ~930 nm range.

- Rusty
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 13:32   #40

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
www.siriussignal.com

Looks like the alternative we've been waiting for. I can't tell if the battery is owner serviceable.

The SOS Distress Light is the first and only LED Visual Distress Signal Device accepted to completely replace dangerous and environmentally harmful pyrotechnic flares.
  • Complies with all U.S. Coast Guard requirements for “Night Visual Distress Signals” 46 CFR 161.013
  • When combined with the included daytime distress signal flag, meets all USCG Federal Requirements for carriage of DAY and NIGHT VDS.
  • Designed, engineered, patented, and produced in the USA.
  • FEATURES AND BENEFITS
    • ONE TIME PURCHASE — no expiry date so no disposal is needed
    • Family SAFE
    • SIMPLE on/off switch
    • Visible for over 10 nautical miles
    • Environmentally safe
    Battery-operated, buoyant, and lightweight SOS Distress Light, can be hand-held, tethered, or hoisted aloft. Lasts HOURS compared to flares, which last minutes, or flare gun meteors, which last mere seconds
Sorry if I sound cynical. If they can't be shot up as an aerial flare the horizon is limited, I guess today visual distress signals are passe.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 06:27   #41

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Thought a green flare meant a submarine surfacing
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 07:16   #42
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There's a whole other thread about actual green flares. The "laser flares" are not actually flares. And submarines launch smoke buoys to warn mariners, no green flares are prescribed for any US submarines. NZ appears to be the only country that might (might) ever use them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 10:10   #43

Thanks Hello Sailor, for reminding me that subs use smoke, not flares when surfacing during daylight hours. What is the nightime signal ?
Old 13-07-2015, 10:24   #44

I have an all around white anchor light 45' above the Waterline that, in addition to the automatic on at sunset, off at dawn, can be set to flash slowly and quickly, acting as a distress signal or, to guide one back to the boat on a dark night in a crowded anchorage. LED, brighter than the pinpoint anchor lights. I'd have to go into Bowditch to get the height of eye and, of course, the hoe of the observer sets the distance it can be seen.
Old 13-07-2015, 10:28   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sorry if I sound cynical. If they can't be shot up as an aerial flare the horizon is limited, I guess today visual distress signals are passe.
Common sense will tell you that they are designed to replace the handheld flares and not the rocket flares.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum