Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 11:04   #16

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: LED Flare alternative approved

Some significant advantages. It goes for hours. When it runs out you can replace the batteries and then goes for hours more.
It wont burn your life raft or dinghy and sink it.

Nor can it burn the holder (or those down wind).
Nor does it have the same disposal problems.

No issues taking them on a plane. So if you crew on long, particularly overseas passages, then worth having one of your own. Just like a PLB.
Something worth including in a life raft or grab bag is a kite. So in a little wind you're able to raise your visibility from the sea surface by attaching a light to a kite.

And in that worst and very scary case, when you've fallen in to the water, it's dark and cold with waves splashing over you and you know it may be a little while before any on board realise you're missing. . .

Check out this competitive product from Odeo flares in the UK .
Old 11-07-2015, 11:31   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I've got a ton of flares, but they keep expiring. I would buy the LED just so to avoid being hassled by the coast guard...they do random checks and I've been warned about expired flares already.

Although the pryo flares expire, I keep them around...in an emergency I'll be glad to have them. However, does anyone know how long they really last?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:48   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I've got a ton of flares, but they keep expiring. I would buy the LED just so to avoid being hassled by the coast guard...they do random checks and I've been warned about expired flares already.

Although the pryo flares expire, I keep them around...in an emergency I'll be glad to have them. However, does anyone know how long they really last?
on keeping them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:14   #19

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

Ok playing devils advocate here. Working for the fire department we started to switch a large portions of our strobes over to LEDs. We use them for medevac LZ markers at night. Part way thru changing them we asked a couple of the helo pilots how visible they were. I was shocked to find that their night vision goggles didn't see the LED strobes but did see the normal type strobes. Something about the light type or frequency. Now I am concerned that should one be disabled at night with total LED lights would the night vision goggles the CG uses see the Lights. Any coasties out here able to comment on night ops and the changes in use of LEDs? This would be a big concern if one consider replacing a lot of spare flares for LED strobes

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:34   #20

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
I organised a flare night at my yacht club a few years ago. Very difficult event to organise as an aside. Needed approvals from Fire, Police, Air Traffic, Coastguard, Military etc. But anyway.

Invited all our members to come along and try out firing off some flares. Most brought expired flares. Some people had flares dated from 1970s. We fired off several hundred flares (most long expired) that night. We only had 2 failures.
Since then I've always kept all my expired flares (likely operator error anyway).

It was an interesting night too. I think one lesson we all learnt was that you really needed to have tried firing off some flares in a safe environment, if, in an emergency, you expect to be able to do so on a stormy night at sea. Also very very easy to burn yourself or fellow crew, and very easy to create a serious fire.

The instructions are difficult to read even in daylight.

Several people set off rocket flares upside down (bad bad bad). In a life raft that would be the end. But honestly it is so easy to do.
Old 11-07-2015, 13:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampabayfireman View Post
Ok playing devils advocate here. Working for the fire department we started to switch a large portions of our strobes over to LEDs. We use them for medevac LZ markers at night. Part way thru changing them we asked a couple of the helo pilots how visible they were. I was shocked to find that their night vision goggles didn't see the LED strobes but did see the normal type strobes. Something about the light type or frequency. Now I am concerned that should one be disabled at night with total LED lights would the night vision goggles the CG uses see the Lights. Any coasties out here able to comment on night ops and the changes in use of LEDs? This would be a big concern if one consider replacing a lot of spare flares for LED strobes
This is only a problem with certain red light wavelengths. The Sirius SOS Distress Light appears to be white light.

See Night vision goggles may not detect certain red LEDs, says FAA - LEDs

It would be prudent to check the wavelength of any red emergency light, see the above link for details.

- Rusty
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 13:59   #22

Boat: Lots of boats.

I'm with you! I plan to purchase one of these lights as well. I have a dozen expired flares on the boat (all in plastic and in great shape). I will never give another nickel to the Orion company to replace expired flares. That expiration date is a scam to sell more flares. Orion has been sitting on this cash cow long enough. I will always keep a set of flares around for smoke should I have issues during the day, but my compliance with the coast guard will be through a light that lasts for hours and has little safety issues around gasoline and my neatly packaged orange rescue flag.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 14:09   #23

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

Well the ones we were using were both white with blue lens or blue with clear lens.

Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 14:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampabayfireman View Post
Well the ones we were using were both white with blue lens or blue with clear lens.

I emailed Sirius to query what wavelength it is, so when they reply, I'll update here.
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 14:54   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
I will never give another nickel to the Orion company to replace expired flares. That expiration date is a scam to sell more flares. Orion has been sitting on this cash cow long enough.
Every time I have sold my boat, I included the ORION flare kit I used onboard, along with all the other safety gear. When I buy a new boat, I buy a new ORION flare kit, so I have new flares. The flare kit used to run about $100, but now I think its much more. What bothered me was that the flare kit did not include enough flares to be legal...still had to buy another package of "shells". Also, I needed 6 additional shells, but they only come in packs of 4! (this is canadian regs).

Yes, orion should be very worried.

I have sailed with my kids since they were little. I have always told them the flare kit is the most dangerous thing on the boat. And it always gets a special place. However, if I really run into trouble, I think the "can of orange smoke" will be much more effective at getting attention, since we rarely sail at night.

I hope there is a "flare night" here sometime...I have never fired a flare. I have, however, read the instructions...seems simple enough. The handheld flares a bit more complicated to light.

I once took all my expired flares to the local fire hall. I had understood thats what you are supposed to do. The firefighters all just looked at me funny and told me to just fire them off on Canada Day (canadian version of 4th of July).
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 17:47   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I can tell you that I'm one of many people who has had 10-15 year old flares ALL fire exactly the same as new ones. Other folks have had many failures, and the bottom line is that MOISTURE and OXYGEN are what kill flares, simple age does not. If you take your pyros on "day one" and place them a metal ammo can which is hermetically sealed, and you throw in some dessicant packs and oxygen absorbers (both on Amazon) and then CLOSE THE CAN, they will last damn near forever.

I put a large label on the can saying it contains PYROS and FLARES and it is dated and HERMETICALLY SEALED - DO NOT OPEN EXCEPT IN EMERGENCY. Along with a list of what's in it. Anyone who wants to inspect it is welcome to, as long as they sign a form stating that they are intentionally ruining the hermetically sealed storage of my emergency lifesaving equipment and they assume liability for consequential failure and damages.

I recently spoke to Olin because I'd bought new highway flares for the car, after discovering the old ones in the trunk (ok, maybe 30 years old and just in their bags) would not light at all. They said well, they package them in sealed polythene bags with a three year date (which you can't read unless you open the sealed bags) and I over-sealed those bags y taping them over with real mylar duct tape, which should also block oxygen and moisture.

But those plastic barrels this the twist-lock lid, full of loose flares? Worthless. No protection at all. That's guaranteeing a crapshoot.

4th of July is usually a "flare night" and if I was on the water, I'd refrain. Near the water, I'd just give a courtesy call. Inland...really, those flares go up half as high was fireworks, o one is going to mistake them for distress flares. They really show you what 12g flares are good for. (Not much.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 19:53   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Also, I needed 6 additional shells, but they only come in packs of 4! (this is canadian regs).
You should be able to buy packs of 3 shells. We sell 3 packs of approved shells in Victoria.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 20:03   #28

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:

On the 4th of July 1993 we shot off some expired SOLAS parachute flares from 1970. Every one of them worked perfectly, so we saved the rest of them.
They're still aboard in our "oh ****" bag.

BTW, don't night vision goggles work on infrared? That would explain the lack of seeing a LED light source, no heat to speak of.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 20:38   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Oddly enough, I saw the Olin 12g shells in WallyMart just last week. Here in the US, they are now FOUR TO A PACK when the regs still call for 3, last time I looked.

So at least one maker just isn't putting 3 to a pack anymore.

This is like hot dogs versus buns, right?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 23:37   #30

Boat: New Bavaria 36

I once took a ride on trading ship 180,000 tons and everything that is not at least 40 meters in height, does not exist
Moreover, most cruise none of the staff did not bother to look out of the windows.
Israeli skipper libi belozersky, sailed on Italian s/v that has lost ballast spent 9 days at sea. Trades ships past in front of them did not notice fireworks.
Only a small tug boat was able to see them
Ilan
ilana is offline   Reply With Quote