Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 08:25   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Ketch 33'
Leaving the US

I am a resident of the United States. I will be selling my home and moving aboard my boat to begin an extensive cruise, probably not returning to the US. My boat is a US Coast Guard documented vessel but there is also a requirement to have the boat registered in my state of residence. Once I sell my home and move to the sea I will no longer have a US residence address. You cannot use a P.O. Box for registration purposes. Will I still need some kind of resgistration other than the US Coast uard Documented Vessel?
thesailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:52   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Leaving the US

No. We have done the same thing and have not had any state registration for several years.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53   #3

You should look up rules and standards for expatriating yourself. There are a lot of things (like voting, if you intend to do that) that require a state residency. You might want to look at a mail service like St Brendan's Isle that lets you maintain a non-PO Box address in the US, and they'll handle all your mail for you.

The state registration thing in addition to the federal documentation is a new one to me; I actually didn't think that was allowed. Regardless, plenty of states (including California) don't require registration for a documented vessel.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
No. We have done the same thing and have not had any state registration for several years.

Mark
So you still have a state residence established? Vote absentee?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:00   #5
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I don't believe being a state resident and the requirement to register your boat go together. The boat is more about where it is as to whether it has to be state registed.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:17   #6

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. The simply answer to your question is NO. Been there, done that. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:25   #7

No, dont worry about registration. However, you should keep your Driver's License etc up to date unless you want to take the test again! Also, beware if you drop auto insurance entirely and return, you will lumped into the category of "no prior insurance" with the 16 year old's and DWI people. There is a way to stay on the insurance radar for a minimal amount every year.... dont ask how I know this!!!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:39   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Opening a "scan my mail" account with SBI will give you a domestic contact and address to keep. No Florida income tax and they'll excuse you from jury duty, so there's no real downside. Some auto insurer's will issue a "non-owners liability policy" that is inexpensive, and of course with that and a Fl driver's license you'll be able to keep that status current as well. It also pays to ask your insurer, because some of them will take you back with no problem after several years of no car. Others won't, and most will charge steep rates for newcomers who haven't had a car. Just tell 'em you're going to sea, won't need a car for some years, what is their policy on taking you back? It can pay to ask.

Similarly, if you have boat insurance (liability probably required) your insurer will probably want a US address, again SBI is an answer to that, and ensures your mail will be accessible. There are others, but they've got a long solid track record.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
So you still have a state residence established? Vote absentee?
Yes, but state registration of a boat is only required if the boat is kept in the state.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59   #10

Quote:
Yes, but state registration of a boat is only required if the boat is kept in the state.

Mark
Mind if I ask what state? I'd like to stay in California because I dig this state, but I've heard Florida is a lot better for expatriation.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:14   #11

Florida. We use St. Brendan's Isle for mail service and residency. A fantastic service and a fantastic crew. We would never physically live in FL.

Mark

Old 02-02-2012, 14:27   #12

Quote:
Florida. We use St. Brendan's Isle for mail service and residency. A fantastic service and a fantastic crew. We would never physically live in FL.

Mark
Couldn't agree more.
Old 02-02-2012, 15:01   #13

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Heah, Florida also has its good side, and it's on the water. I've spent quite a bit of time there and had a good experience, plus it's a great base from which to explore the Bahamas and the rest of the Caribbean.

In any case, no you do not need state registration once you leave a particular state, but at least one state, Florida (again!), requires all boats to be state registered somewhere, even if you have USCG documentation. However, if you are not actually in Florida, this doesn't apply. In other words, you could use Florida as your "home" address, for tax purposes, driver's license, whatever, but as long as you weren't keeping your boat there physically there is no need for a state registration.

Also, keep in mind that you do need an address somewhere in the USA for your CG documentation, and they will send a renewal notice once a year that has to be filled out and returned to keep your documentation up to date.
Old 07-02-2012, 16:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesailorguy View Post
I am a resident of the United States. I will be selling my home and moving aboard my boat to begin an extensive cruise, probably not returning to the US. .....
Never say that you are leaving and not returning. There are financial rules with severe taxes levied on your money if you are leaving permanently. Better to say that you are take a very long vacation.
Brian in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 17:00   #15

Boat: Union Polaris 36

i agree with Brian, just go on an open ended vacation, otherwise the government agencies get bent out of shape.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote