Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2010, 08:38   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Have you seen the Pacific garbage patch?? And that's just what's on the surface!!
[Please, somebody stop me!]

Have YOU seen this garbage patch??? Take any pictures? Did you manage to record the lat/lon? (Hint: It's not out there!)

Click back in this thread and read my postings on the garbage patch. Do some research of your own. Then come back and tell me I'm wrong.

NOTE: In this context I am referring to garbage patch visible on the surface.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 08:52   #92
Armchair Bucketeer

DOJ_Land Exists!

Death to the Un-Beleivers!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 09:03   #93

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
[
We don't need baby seal meat and fur.. we have the technology to reprocess plastic to make our fleeces... and many other things to keep us warm... we don't slaughter because of need... but because we can...
See! There we go making a plastic substitute for something that grows naturally in the food chain and will decompose once we're done with it.
Old 30-11-2010, 09:10   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
See! There we go making a plastic substitute for something that grows naturally in the food chain and will decompose once we're done with it.
LOL.... Del... just keep recycling... trash bag to jacket to trash bag to jacket... provide/maintain employment and stop the waste island growing...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 09:33   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Someone's always trying to sell something ...

We use to refill bottles and some places still do. Glass is heavy, breaks, takes space to store and is expensive to first produce. So there was a move to those wonderful, cheap plastic bottles that could be thrown away. In many places recycling glass meant smash it and melt it down which takes a hugh amount of energy to do. Since the primary components of glass are cheap and plentiful it made plastic seem even more wonderful. Some municipalities no longer recycle glass. BUT WAIT .... couldn't we just refill them? Yes we could. So why don't we? Back to the beginning and the belief that says the market is king.

As for the seals; harp seals are not now, nor have they ever been, considered an endangered species. Blue tuna on the other hand are on the verge of extinction and a ban is being considered. It's a shame they aren't all cute and cuddly looking.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 09:37   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
It's a shame they aren't all cute and cuddly looking.
But seals are cuddlie....... Cerebral Jukebox Magazine - This will make your week
Old 30-11-2010, 09:50   #97
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
As for the seals; harp seals are not now, nor have they ever been, considered an endangered species. Blue tuna on the other hand are on the verge of extinction and a ban is being considered. It's a shame they aren't all cute and cuddly looking.
I'm not against the harvesting of seals parse... but from my limited understanding only the furs are taken and the carcass left to rot... can the meat not be marketed... maybe to the Japanese... or sell it to the Chinese as a better product than powdered tigers penis...
As for the Blue Tuna... folks wanted quota's cut by 50% in 2011... they finally agreed on a reduction of 600ton.... less than 2%.
How much chance is there of a ban given the track record... eg; for Nth Sea/Atlantic Cod as another over-fished species....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 30-11-2010, 10:25   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
They eat seal meat in communities on the coast and it is used in pet food. I doubt any is left to rot anywhere but in propoganda. There isn't very many being killed anymore. At this point the real danger facing seals is the loss of pack ice to global warming. As for cruelty to animals; peoples energies would be more wisely focused on farming practises in the US. They are not only cruel to animals but they pose a great environmental threat and endanger human life.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 10:40   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
They eat seal meat in communities on the coast and it is used in pet food. I doubt any is left to rot anywhere but in propaganda ...
Seal meat is generally considered to be inedible and unfit for human consumption. While there is a small market in Newfoundland for the seal flippers (for seal flipper pie), most of the rest of the very small amount of meat found in the slaughtered seal, if utilized at all, would be purchased by pet food and fur farm industries.
Currently, Canada exports the following seal products: sealskins (furskins/pelts and leather), seal oil, and seal meat.
Canada sold pelts to 11 countries in 2004 with Norway, Germany, Greenland, and China purchasing the largest quantities. Other buying countries were Finland, Denmark, France, Hong Kong, Greece, South Korea, and Russia. In 2004, only Taiwan and South Korea purchased any seal meat.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 12:09   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Seal meat is generally considered to be inedible and unfit for human consumption.....................
In 2004, only Taiwan and South Korea purchased any seal meat.
There is a big 'what to do' going about eating seal meat............
Canada's Seal Hunt Begins - With An Inuit Lawsuit Against EU Restrictions : Native American Legal Update
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hunt_sealhunter.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	21578  
Old 30-11-2010, 16:06   #101
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Thanks Del... I found the Comments section below very interesting...
I did not realise the Seal Hunters were heavily subsidised...
and I'm really glad I don't eat fish...

Old 01-12-2010, 06:16   #102

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
This is getting to sound like the "Phyoplanton" thread where folks with an agenda (some have good agendas and some bad agendas) resort to "shock hyperbole" to try to spice up their cause. Newspapers, TV news, mass media have made that tactic their stock and trade. Now, everybody is using it and frankly amongst moderately intelligent folks it is getting tiresome. It was fine when only the used car salesman used the tactic, but like the children's story of "Cry Wolf" the effect is now back-firing. Any valid and worthwhile "cause" is now getting ignored and discarded after the proponents start throwing out these illogical, unsupportable "shock" claims.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:41   #103
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Bit like boat manufacturers and a lot of us.... lots of numbers and statisics we cant verify and/or understand so...
As they're "Experts" they must be telling the truth so MUST BE RIGHT.....
Just because its true don't mean its THE TRUTH
if that makes sense

Old 01-12-2010, 06:49   #104

Boat: grampian 26
Let's see now, this thread started out as a comment on the need for laws governing the use of the high seas then evolved into the Texas garbage patch and we are now onto clubbing baby seals. I can't wait to see where we are going next. Carry on gentlemen.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:53   #105
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Let's see now, this thread started out as a comment on the need for laws governing the use of the high seas then evolved into the Texas garbage patch and we are now onto clubbing baby seals. I can't wait to see where we are going next. Carry on gentlemen.
That big floating patch of plastic they saw was probably Bash and a load of friends tied up together for a party on a calm day.....
Note; I DID NOT say garbage...