Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2010, 07:10   #61

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Foremost among a number of international agreements and partnerships that promote enhanced
maritime security cooperation are the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and the Convention for the International Maritime Organization (IMO).

Quoting “Piracy off Somalia: a sketch of the legal framework”
Here ➥ Piracy off Somalia: a sketch of the legal framework « EJIL: Talk!

“... The law applicable to piracy off Somalia is presently a mix of customary law, UN Security Council Resolutions and treaty law. If pirates are captured, questions of national law and international human rights obligations also arise.
In my view, there is no short-term, military “fix” for piracy. It remains to be seen whether recent uses of lethal force against pirates will deter them, or escalate violence against ships and hostages ...”

“... The core of the customary law of piracy, as codified in Articles 101-107 and 110 of the UN Law of the Sea Convention (UNCLOS) is relatively simple. Piracy consists of: (i) any act of violence; (ii) committed for private ends; (iii) on the high seas or in a place beyond the relevant jurisdiction of any State; and (iv) which is committed by one vessel against another. Any State may send a warship to board a pirate vessel, arrest those on board and subject them to the jurisdiction of its courts. Warships may also use reasonable force to that end ...”

“... One of the problems with the current attempt to combat piracy is that though, as a matter of international law, all States have jurisdiction to try pirates, few States have adequate national laws for the prosecution of pirates who have not committed offences against either their nationals or flag vessels. This has lead to some startling results, such as the German navy releasing some captured pirates on the basis that they had no authority to detain them. While UNCLOS requires that States must co-operate to suppress piracy (Art. 100) it only provides that a capturing warship may send pirates for trial before its courts (Art. 105). The inference is that States are under no duty to have adequate national offences for trying pirates and may co-operate in the suppression of piracy by other means (such as “deter and disrupt” patrols). If States are under a positive obligation to have such laws, the majority have been continually in breach since before the 1920s League of Nations codification project ...”

“... The relevant (UN Security Council) resolutions on Somali piracy are 1816, 1838, 1846 and 1851, all containing the talismanic Chapter VII authority to use “all necessary means” to counter piracy. In broad-brush terms, these Resolutions encourage States to develop a cooperative framework to counter piracy in the region as well as granting specific authority to “cooperating States” to enter Somalia’s territorial sea to repress piracy in a manner consistent with the international law applicable on the high seas. 1851 authorises “cooperating States” to go further and engage in counter-piracy action on Somali soil ...”

“... The capturing of pirates is not free from practical, and some consequential legal, difficulties ...”

“... Rather more complicated is what to do with a captured pirate

...”
Say what?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 07:23   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Methinks Gords got to many windows open at the same time....
OR...
The latest batch of 'Moonshine' is undergoing 'testing'....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 08:50   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock View Post
I'm sorry. But seeing something every HOUR by the naked eye while crossing the Pacific OCEAN is A LOT of trash. That is just what you saw on the surface floating while at the helm or winch!
OK, if you say so.

It's certainly more than I would like to see, but this visible surface trash is hardly an ecological disaster of biblical proportions. And it's not how some of the Garbage Patch advocates, or the woman making the TED presentation, are portraying it. There's a big difference between ten, or even one hundred floating bits per square mile, and a trash island so thick you can't kayak through it.

Again, my point is this: Yes, ocean trash is bad. There's more of it than we would like. It causes problems. Just don't lie about it.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 09:02   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless (and otherwise undetectable to the human senses) gas.
Notwithstanding it’s imperceptibility to human senses, it’s a highly toxic poison.
I wouldn’t take too much comfort in not noticing any CO in my salon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 09:31   #65

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
“... Rather more complicated is what to do with a captured pirate ...”
Put them on ocean garbage clean up. They're out there burning fuel, looking for something anyway.
Old 29-11-2010, 09:50   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless (and otherwise undetectable to the human senses) gas.
Notwithstanding it’s imperceptibility to human senses, it’s a highly toxic poison.
I love it Gord.... don't stop.... hahahahahahhehehehehehahahaha.... no.... arrrggghhhhh.... hehehehehe

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 11:47   #67
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
My eye brow raised as well in the first few moments of this pesentation. I don't know what bothers me more, the destruction of the Oceans or the self appointed few that would regulate the majority. Regulated with their own sense of what is right and by how they present their own drawn infallable facts. I'm always concerned even more on how they themselves would like to have it enforced.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions (Bernard of Clairvaux)
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 12:46   #68

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
My eye brow raised as well in the first few moments of this pesentation. I don't know what bothers me more, the destruction of the Oceans or the self appointed few that would regulate the majority. Regulated with their own sense of what is right and by how they present their own drawn infallable facts. I'm always concerned even more on how they themselves would like to have it enforced.

Bugger... and I was having such a good trip before I knew the destination...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 12:59   #69

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Genuine question asked in genuine ignorance... to be classified as poison, does a substance have to actively cause some vital body part to malfunction, or is it still poison if it replaces oxygen, causing death?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 13:17   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Excerpted from Wikipedia:
"In the context of biology, poisons are substances that can cause disturbances to organisms ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 13:17   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Genuine question asked in genuine ignorance... to be classified as poison, does a substance have to actively cause some vital body part to malfunction, or is it still poison if it replaces oxygen, causing death?
Such as Nitrogen, CO2, Argon, and that deadly Dihydrogen Monoxide (Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide)?

Seriously Gordon, you are right to be (hypothetically) concerned about CO, but at what concentration do you take extraordinary measures? Wouldn't you want to know if you should shut down all sources of combustion and start taking Oxygen, or merely open the windows (ports) a crack? This is why usable measurements are a good thing.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 13:39   #72

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post

Think "The Music Man".

Oh, we got trouble...right here in River City".

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 14:14   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchybro View Post
Some might find it a little suspicious that in the pictures of dead, rotting birds full of human-made debris, the birds have apparently eaten no "natural" debris - not a piece of driftwood, not a mollusk shell, not a rock, nor any of the other thousands of naturally-occurring debris in and around the ocean, even though these items of natual debris outnumber items of man-made debris by many orders of magnitude...

Some kooks might argue that if a bird would eat a bic lighter, he would also eat a rock or a seashell or a piece of driftwood... But its clear that anyone who would spread rumors such as that are paid shills for Big Plastic, probably vote to the Right, drive Hummers, keep their thermostats set on 85* in the winter and 60* in the summer, and don't believe that their every fart is melting an ice floe and drowning a polar bear.

But I believe the pictures are real and not staged by radical whackjobs with a political agenda. Any emotionally sensitive person can clearly see - through the tears in their eyes - that these birds really did die horrible, painful deaths from eating the trash of an evil society that is little more than a cancer on Gaia, our Mother Earth. Its important to feel this tragedy in your heart, and not to think about it in your mind..

Its really easy to see how a bird might mistake pieces of trash for fish or other natural foods they normally eat. After all, they can't really see, feel, smell or taste things - it’s a wonder they haven’t gone extinct long ago.

Why, just the other day I was walking my dog and I had the same problem - I was hungry so I ate an old discarded Bic lighter I found in the ditch because I thought it might be a hamburger, then found a cigarette butt and ate that because it I thought it was a French fry. For desert I found and wolfed down two pieces of rubber off a tire because I thought they were candy bars.

By this time, it was no surprise to see that my dog had eaten about a gallon of plastic packing peanuts out of an old trash bag because they are roughly the same size and shape as his dogfood and he couldn’t tell the difference (he's colorblind). He then ate a steel bottle cap - guess he thought it was a dog biscuit.

Then I saw this poor deer back in the woods behind my house and the full extent of this tragedy dawned on me; the problem isn’t limited to the ocean - MY GOD!!! ITS SPREAD TO LAND!!! AAAAAHHHHHH! This deer might have survived eating the caulk tube, the vitamin bottle and salsa jar, but the plastic water bottle wedged in its jaws preventing it from being able to enunciate its message to the 911 operator... Oh, what a terrible way to go!

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 21:05   #74

Boat: O'Day 28
Ahh.. Here's the future anyway:

Seasteading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tho' I won't be able to afford one of the floating "gated communities" anyway.
Old 29-11-2010, 21:55   #75

Boat: Vagabond 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Methinks Gords got to many windows open at the same time....
OR...
The latest batch of 'Moonshine' is undergoing 'testing'....
OMG, Point me to the moonshine windows!!! I want to play. Too funny