Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 13:30   #1
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Italian Waters - Liability Insurance of Five Million Euros

Any yacht sailing in Italian waters is required to have third party liability insurance of five million euros.

Noonsite: Timely Reminder about Italian Insurance Requirements
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 13:56   #2

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
"Cover can be purchased locally from an Italian insurance company."

....hmmmph: of THOSE laws is it!?
Old 30-03-2012, 16:02   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Italian waters liability insurance of five million euros.

it goes on to say-anyone caught with out this insurance will not be premitted to leave the harbor
Old 30-03-2012, 16:18   #4

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Well I suppose we will take Italy off our itinerary. Sad because its one of the places I wanted most to spend a good bit of time in. Methinks we can say thanks to Costa for this. Hopefully enough other yachts will skip Italy and they will come back to their senses and require a realistic amount of liability coverage.

Edited to add- when you factor in the proposed anchor/mooring tax, it makes skipping Italy a no brainer.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 16:38   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I’ve sailing thru Italy a dozen times and only once was I able to check in-only because after trying many times no one wanted to do the work of filling out the paper work-I have to wonder if anything will really change_i will post this summer im going to be there again
Old 30-03-2012, 16:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy
Well I suppose we will take Italy off our itinerary. Sad because its one of the places I wanted most to spend a good bit of time in. Methinks we can say thanks to Costa for this. Hopefully enough other yachts will skip Italy and they will come back to their senses and require a realistic amount of liability coverage.

Edited to add- when you factor in the proposed anchor/mooring tax, it makes skipping Italy a no brainer.
You're right unfortunately. Such a shame as almost every port/anchorage from Genoa down to Napoli is just such a joy to visit! It's all gonna be bareboat charter (which will fly up in price) companies going under and the newer marinas suffering as mega-yachts start relocating to France.
Old 30-03-2012, 16:59   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
You're right unfortunately. Such a shame as almost every port/anchorage from Genoa down to Napoli is just such a joy to visit! It's all gonna be bareboat charter (which will fly up in price) companies going under and the newer marinas suffering as mega-yachts start relocating to France.
Proving once again that irrational, unfair and unequal taxiation is a deterrent to whatever activity is taxed. The marias, restaurants etc and all marine trades will evaporate. This has been done many times and results are always identical. We lost 1/4 of all marinas in Michigan and 4 of 5 boat builders along with all associated trades the last time boat tax happened here.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 17:16   #8

its $10mil here in Oz

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 17:59   #9

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

I'd not get too excited about just Italy. A lot of British marinas now require 3rd party liability insurance of £3,000,000 which seems a bit steep but there you go. Obviously there are a lot of boats much more expensive than mine!
Old 30-03-2012, 18:15   #10
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Well I guess I'll leave the boat in Spain for a few weeks and site see overland in Italy...if we get that far. On the other hand, New England is not that bad in the summer!
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:40   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

No comment.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 11:30   #12
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Any yacht sailing in Italian waters is required to have third party liability insurance of five million euros.

Noonsite: Timely Reminder about Italian Insurance Requirements
While not commenting on the law itself, I'd like to point out that fulfilling this requirement is not extremely expensive - around the price of 60 liters of diesel at current prices (better won't comment on that either...). Attached is (a part of) a scan of a third party policy I paid last year, from a well known insurer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tp.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	39346  
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 13:10   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm

While not commenting on the law itself, I'd like to point out that fulfilling this requirement is not extremely expensive - around the price of 60 liters of diesel at current prices (better won't comment on that either...). Attached is (a part of) a scan of a third party policy I paid last year, from a well known insurer.
Most people with insurance , cettainly this side of the pond will have liability cover of 4-5 million euros. It's not expensive to raise it to 5. don't know what people ate going on about.

Dave
Old 03-04-2012, 13:32   #14

...and in other news:

Italian Tax Withdrawn
News - Latest News
TUESDAY, 03 APRIL 2012 00:00
A controversial tax, which was being levied on yachts visiting italian ports, has been withdrawn following heavy pressure from within the marine industry. A successful lobbying campaign by the Italian marine trade association UCINA and other bodies, has resulted in the Italian government passing an amendment in legislation that liberalises a number of tax laws, meaning that the rules will apply only to yachts owned by Italian nationals.

Anton Francesco Albertoni, president of UCINA, said: “We are pleased that foreign pleasure boaters can now organise their holidays in our seas without having to pay any additional charges.”

Courtesy of sailingtoday.co.uk
Old 03-04-2012, 14:13   #15

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Italian Waters - Liability Insurance of Five Million Euros

My problems are A: there is a big difference between 5 million and 3 million in fact a difference of 2 million and B: Italy just seems to be piling it on to yachts. I don't get why the insurance requirements for the EU isn't the same across the board.

Glad to hear that they've adjusted the laws to apply to Italian flagged vessels.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance