Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 15:57   #1

Is 'this' the Norm I Can Expect ?

Ok let me first say hi to all been a few weeks since i've been on. But i have to ask as a person who likes to crew and get some exp so that one day when i get my own nice sailing lifestyle (soon i hope). I've been crewing on 2 diff boats in the last few months on a nice older cat at the moment but is it common that on both crew positions that I am always fixing the boats more than we are sailing. I know that part of what im here for is fixing things i guess but if im paying my own way onboard should it be my place to fix everything jus cause i can. I mean the capt/owner of the boat should be responsible for this dont u think , or am i being to sensitive. I'm not paying for the parts but i feel im working more than enjoying and seeing that im paying my own way i think im being takin advantage of a bit.. Anyone have thoughts on this matter? And yes i know sailing is working but @#*!.....
Old 12-11-2011, 16:03   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Is this the norm i can expect

I don't let guests fix things on my boat. Can not speak for others.
Old 12-11-2011, 16:04   #3

Boat: Custom

I have always sat down with an owner and roughed out an idea of what I will and won't do. Stops this sort of issue. Also shows the captains colors real quick I find.

Normally yes I would fix stuff within reason, if I can't/won't fix it I make a note to check it before we leave for one reason.

I DON'T WANT TO DIE!

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 16:07   #4

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

I guess it depends, if you are out sailing and something breaks, you need to help out. If you are setting at the dock and working on the boat then you need to come and crew for me. I have lots of work to do.
Old 12-11-2011, 16:08   #5

Im learning myself...learning sucks but it is what it is...learning, the way I see it, if I spend the next couple of years learning everything I can no matter how bad it sucks, ill be able to enjoy it all the more when I captain my own boat. Which is the one im on now so I gota a lot to learn..lol hope this gave you a diffrent prospective.
Cheers
Coy
coyfish9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 16:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is this the norm i can expect

If its the two of you fixing and having a crack and beer after... thats fine..
If its just you...
He's Taking The Piss...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 16:18   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I knew a fellow once that if he saw me doing a repair or mentioning that I was about to, he would immediately volunteer to help. He was new to sailing and boat ownership and occasionally would go far beyond the call of duty (like when I was replacing the head hoses). I sometimes felt embarrassed but on the other hand, when he had a problem on his own boat, I would always help him fix it and explain how to diagnose the problem and solve it. Sometimes that would be a simple as showing him how a multi-meter works and sometimes a bit more involved such as finding a leak in the pressure water system.

If your current captain is working alongside you, that's one thing. Perhaps he values your expertise. On the other hand if he just says "It's broke, fix it" and then walks off, I'd find another captain. I won't be used.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 16:19   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I would think it all depends on the situation and arrangement with the owner.

Is the owner a friend and he or she asked you along as a guest? If so, then helping out is very nice but like boatman says, if you are doing all the work and the owner is sitting back drinking beer then I would ask for a different arrangement.

If, on the other hand, the owner is not a friend and you asked to sail on the boat in exchange for work then you need to make clear with the owner how much sailing you should get for how much work.

Really need more details about who the owner is and your relationship with the owner to offer a realistic opinion.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 16:19   #9

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

If you were the captain of the boat and some willing person with aptitude offered to help you crew the boat and fix it what would you say to them? He has a good thing going and is gonna milk it for what it's worth. Is there a big M stamped on your forehead. Check in the mirror.
Old 12-11-2011, 16:39   #10

lol well lots of diff relies.... Well thats kinda the thing we never sat down and hammered out details but i found someone needing a hand sailing cause she cant solo anymore and i jumped at the chance to help n learn but there wasnt really any mention of the boat needing alot of work( and yes i know most boats need work) but i think the capt is taking it a bit for granted. Shes a good capt with alot to teach but if we arent sailin but 1 day outta the month or maybe 2 then whats the point i guess.. Jus doin alot of free work i guess... But im in the virgin islands gettn to see some nice scenery so cant complain to much... Might be puttn up an ad in the crew avail sec very soon
Old 12-11-2011, 16:40   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I would say if your spending as much time sailing as fixing, it's a good deal for the experience.

But on the other hand we don't know your quality/skill level of repair. Either way, it's less then owning your own boat. He's taking the risk of taking you out (you being inexperienced) and the risk of your repairs.
Old 12-11-2011, 16:45   #12

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

If you're not happy with the arrangement then try something different. You might find that the next captain will be great or they'll be even worse but you won't know until you try.
Old 12-11-2011, 17:32   #13

My advice would be, explain to her how to make the repair. Help her make them but let her do the work, this way she learns how to do it. I do this with most friends and sailing associates. ..... teach a person to fish.... and they eat forever....fish for someone and they eat for a day.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 19:41   #14

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

A lot depends on whether you are doing deliveries or just along for the ride and picking up a bit of experience. If you were working for me on a delivery, you stand your watch, fix what ever you are able to and pass on to the next watch what the hit list is. In heavy weather or an emergency as defined by the skipper, you would be expected to turn out and lend a hand. if you aren't prepared to do this, you won't be hired by me again and forget about a recommendation.
If you're just along for the ride, ie not being paid, I expect you to help out to limit of your ability and to get stuck in to the problem that might be new to you and learn how to jerry rig and make do with what we have aboard. I try to make it fun, as well as a learning experience. I've never had a problem getting or keeping crew and usually had a number of experienced folks to choose from. I always tried to be straight up with who ever I sailed with as to what was expected BEFORE we left the dock. Only had to put off one crew member in over 30 years of cruising/delivering. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 02:49   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Start lots of jobs and never finish any of them and / or use the "next week" scheduling approach .......and go ashore a lot

My bet is that if Owner was a bloke you would have told him to f#ck off a while back. Especially as you are chipping in with expenses and not getting the actual sailing you wanted (due to the boat needing fixing?) - I would jump ship..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote