Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 17:11   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
Is it easier to be Married?

Hello all,

Slightly weird topic but I was wondering if it's easier to sail the world as a couple if you're Married?

I've been with my Partner for over 15 years now but we never got married.
In terms of ease of passage around the world will this be a problem? Is it easier to be married?

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 17:14   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Is it easier to be Married?

In Arab and Muslim countries, you'd better be married prior to visiting. Everywhere else, no one would care! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 17:19   #3

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Makes absolutely no difference. The Muslim countries never asked us for marriage certificates.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 17:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
In Arab and Muslim countries, you'd better be married prior to visiting. Everywhere else, no one would care! Mauritz
rubbish!

apart from saudi arabia it is a non issue.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 17:29   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It does make certain things easier including any medical issues that might arise. If you have no other reason to not do it, it's probably worth the few bucks to make it legal at the courthouse. Of course she will need her passport amended which IS a hassle. Better to just get a new one.
Old 26-02-2013, 17:33   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Is it easier to be married?
I can't answer that question until I check with my wife.
Old 26-02-2013, 17:42   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Just make sure both names are on the boat just in case one is incapacitated and the other has to move the boat or hire a captain as they would need ownership authority.

My 1st mate is on the boat documentation and insurance in her own name.
This way, if I kick the bucket, the boat is not locked up somewhere waiting for my estate to settle.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 20:38   #8

Boat: Hanse 385

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Some useful info in here.
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 21:14   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
More rubbish!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 21:22   #10

No matter how much suffering one must endure at the hands of righteous authorities, surely it cannot be any worse than being married.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 22:17   #11

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
In Arab and Muslim countries, you'd better be married prior to visiting.
On the contrary, maybe it would make them curious as to why you brought only one of your wives?
Old 27-02-2013, 01:56   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Boat docs aside, being married would make like easier if the other gets incapacitated or dead - where a spouse gets more rights (and without quibble - as it's easily understood, unlike a POA from Idaho etc) to deal with the dull practical (paperwork!) and decision making stuff that entails.

IMO not enough of a reason to get married.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 02:14   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Make sure (even if married) that there is a "testament" from the nominal ship owner/captain, granting the other person full control over the boat in case of incapacitation or death.

Testament should appoint the other person captain and give them the right to transport/hire transport of the boat or sell the boat at their discretion.

Don't kid yourself - this is a very important document. You die and your boat will be impounded awaiting word from the executor of your estate.

But you should have a testament anyway. Otherwise you risk your spouse getting nada.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 03:17   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Make sure (even if married) that there is a "testament" from the nominal ship owner/captain, granting the other person full control over the boat in case of incapacitation or death.

Testament should appoint the other person captain and give them the right to transport/hire transport of the boat or sell the boat at their discretion.

Don't kid yourself - this is a very important document. You die and your boat will be impounded awaiting word from the executor of your estate.

But you should have a testament anyway. Otherwise you risk your spouse getting nada.

If by Testament you mean a Will - then I agree very important. But nonetheless should be noted that a Will from own country does not usually become automatically legal in another country without due process. and there may even be local succession rules that trump the contents of your Will (the first born son gets all the Goats etc ).

In practice with a moveable asset not such a problem (possesion being 9/10ths etc!) and the rules to decide to whom an asset should be passed to can get applied when the boat goes "home" - unless someone wants to argue otherwise.

Am no lawyer , but if you mean some sort of Power of Attorney to allow use / control of the boat rather than giving ownership am not entirely sure those always survive being dead .........but in practice I suspect better than nothing if moving a boat back "home", to then argue / discuss who gets what.

But in any event, good to discuss and think this stuff through before events make them important (can be a bit late then!) - especially if not married and want to ensure that the other partner does not end up the creek without a paddle. physically or financially.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 03:33   #15

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If by Testament you mean a Will - then I agree very important. But nonetheless should be noted that a Will from own country does not usually become automatically legal in another country without due process. and there may even be local succession rules that trump the contents of your Will (the first born son gets all the Goats etc ).

In practice with a moveable asset not such a problem (possesion being 9/10ths etc!) and the rules to decide to whom an asset should be passed to can get applied when the boat goes "home" - unless someone wants to argue otherwise.

Am no lawyer , but if you mean some sort of Power of Attorney to allow use / control of the boat rather than giving ownership am not entirely sure those always survive being dead .........but in practice I suspect better than nothing if moving a boat back "home", to then argue / discuss who gets what.

But in any event, good to discuss and think this stuff through before events make them important (can be a bit late then!) - especially if not married and want to ensure that the other partner does not end up the creek without a paddle. physically or financially.
David, I wrote testament (not will although you might use that term). Such a document should state that in the event of your incapacitation or death (incapacitation to be determined by your spouse/SO/girlfriend), the other one is appointed Captain of the vessel with all the rights and privileges pursuant to the title/position, including, but not limited to: transporting, or hiring others to transport the boat to any port of their choosing and/or, at their discretion, sale of the boat or parts thereof. Any and all proceeds from sale of boat or parts thereof become the property of the new captain.

Whilst the above is not written by a lawyer, it will stand up in most countries, simply because it clearly expresses the will of the owner/captain.

The worst thing someone can do is sail without one. Entering port with:

1- a body - this will start any number of investigations and you can be damn sure you're going anywhere with the boat until everyone is satisfied.
2- no body, but minus one from the crew list. This will also get hoards of investigations started. Better to have a testament
3- an incapacitated captain - go to scenario 1 or 2 above. Boat going nowhere.

We have reciprocal agreements, including pictures, laminated so they can be copied if needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote