Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 03:49   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Is it easier to be Married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Slightly weird topic but I was wondering if it's easier to sail the world as a couple if you're Married?
Hi Simon, you might want to read through this thread as well. I asked the exact same question not long ago, b/c I'm in the same boat (marrigaphorically speaking) as you.
Old 27-02-2013, 04:04   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

You dont need to get married but it gets easier if the girl wears a wedding ring.

Especially if she is younger.

And its not just Arab countries but includes the less touristy parts of Indonesia. In indonesia its a respect type of thing.
In 'moderate' Turkey its to slow down the men who tell the male: "She hasn't got a ring so I will F*** her". Yes, gets gross. What they tell her is unbelievable!
Egypt is worse.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 04:27   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I can't answer that question until I check with my wife.

Once you check with her be ready for some extra husband training, as she will quickly know you lack of knowledge in the area.
Old 27-02-2013, 04:51   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is it easier to be Married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
You dont need to get married but it gets easier if the girl wears a wedding ring.

Especially if she is younger.

And its not just Arab countries but includes the less touristy parts of Indonesia. In indonesia its a respect type of thing.
In 'moderate' Turkey its to slow down the men who tell the male: "She hasn't got a ring so I will F*** her". Yes, gets gross. What they tell her is unbelievable!
Egypt is worse.
So what your saying is... if there's an unattatched woman on board...
"GO ROUND THE CAPE..."
Somali Pirates are pussycats... they just starve ya...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 06:00   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Make sure (even if married) that there is a "testament" from the nominal ship owner/captain, granting the other person full control over the boat in case of incapacitation or death.

Testament should appoint the other person captain and give them the right to transport/hire transport of the boat or sell the boat at their discretion.

Don't kid yourself - this is a very important document. You die and your boat will be impounded awaiting word from the executor of your estate.

But you should have a testament anyway. Otherwise you risk your spouse getting nada.

How about looking at another angle....."A two member corporation or LLC that owns the boat".
I have no idea if this is even a partial solution...that's why I'm bring it up to the minds that be.

Frank (in Chas)
frankb4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 06:12   #21

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: Is it easier to be Married? . . . Here's what you do

Get you "captains", license and when you get on the high seas, marry her . . . all legal and proper as a captain(I think).

Then "lose", the paperwork when you get back home.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 06:36   #22

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankb4now View Post

How about looking at another angle....."A two member corporation or LLC that owns the boat".
I have no idea if this is even a partial solution...that's why I'm bring it up to the minds that be.

Frank (in Chas)
Even though we are married, that is the route we took.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 07:19   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

I sail with my partner too. It does not seem to make any difference.

But it may, if your partner dies and their family want the boat. Depending on how partnerships are regarded in the law of your mother country.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 10:10   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In many nations, a spouse automatically gains legal protections and rights. For instance, if you are hit by a bus, the spouse will be allowed to visit you in the hospital. A "significant other" will be told to go wait outside.

As others have pointed out, a carefully prepared set of papers (power of attorney and formal will being the most important) can probably make sure the SO has those same rights. In the US you would have those notarized, but for use overseas you might want to look into a "legate" which is a stronger internationally accepted form of attesting/vouching for the documents.

As with any critical documents, you might want to carry two sets of "originals" onboard, and leave a third set someplace safely on land that can be faxed or mailed to you.

Even if you are married, if something goes wrong it can be VERY useful to have the right set of papers to make officials happier.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 10:32   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

As Hellosailor said. Also worth considering that in some countries, no matter what paperwork you might carry, if you are not married, local authorities will not respect whatever rights you believe the papers grant you. Such papers are only valid within the boundaries of the country that issues them.

The good news is that equally there are countries where even if you are not married, you will be considered in partnership, if such a legal entity is granted to people living together. They will respect your rights even when you have nil paperwork.

It is a good idea, I think, to make your partner a co-captain. They will have the right to move the boat, should you get incapacitated or worse.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 10:42   #26

Boat: 1984 Nor'Sea27
Re: Is It Easier To Be Married?

All seriousness aside,
It doesn't matter what you are doing... sailing, rock climbing, doing finances or simply gardening. If you are not yet married the wife likes you more and trusts you more. Once married you will be wrong on every count and you will have mutiny. TOTAL MUTINY. So obviously stay unmarried as long as you can.
The other advantage of staying unmarried but being engaged is that you can go to any bakery and sample free cake if you pretend you are looking for wedding cakes. I wish I had known that.

Thanks for letting me vent.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 10:49   #27

Boat: Skookum 53'

Thanks, I like cake!
Old 27-02-2013, 11:57   #28
CLOD

I bet having a set of matched rings gets one 99+% of the everyday "benefits' of being married as long as one doesn't go around telling people they are just for show!
Old 27-02-2013, 12:23   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Don-
At least in the US these days, you often have to present government photo ID in order to simply ENTER the premises, unless you are being carried in. So while matching rings are a nice thought, if the names on the IDs don't match...especially if there is a DNR or other form involved. Everyone in any "administration" is always happier when they can file more paperwork to justify what they did.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 12:44   #30
CLOD

I think that was my point, if "partners" say they are married they can do almost anything real married people can do! I know that we haven't been asked to produce a copy of our marriage license in at least 30 years. I think we only have been asked twice ever, 1-to the Navy when we did the act, 2-when my wife went to change her drivers license.