Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-08-2011, 09:24   #16

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Is Flying Your Ensign a Requirement ?

The Conch Republic flag is a BS flag. Just a publicity stunt created by the so-called fresh water conchs. Nor real Conch;s.

Haven't been able to figure out why people are afraid of being courteous when visiting other countries. In foreign ports at anchor and underway, my ensign and courtesy flag are always displayed. Both for PRIDE and COURTESY.

Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 12:28   #17
Marine Service Provider

Courtesy yes...but not feeling too much pride these days.

Old 20-08-2011, 12:35   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

I can understand some people not wanting to fly the US flag for political reasons, but is not liking what you think the flag represents worth the increased risk of having problems by not flying it?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 13:20   #19

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
Haven't been able to figure out why people are afraid of being courteous when visiting other countries. In foreign ports at anchor and underway, my ensign and courtesy flag are always displayed. Both for PRIDE and COURTESY.
You don't understand why people from the USA would be a little hesitent to display the Stars and Stripes? The fact that our beautiful and prideful flag draws attention and most of the world hates us doesn't offer enough reason? The fact that it seems to ensinuate that the vessel is occupied by rich and spoiled Infidels doesn't register with you? I myself want to show courtesy, and well meaning, and be left alone after that as far as politics go, which means I DO see a few reasons not to go out of my way to establish myself other than as a sailor in a foreign country that has "Come in Peace" and with good intent.
Old 20-08-2011, 16:17   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
You don't understand why people from the USA would be a little hesitent to display the Stars and Stripes? The fact that our beautiful and prideful flag draws attention and most of the world hates us doesn't offer enough reason? The fact that it seems to ensinuate that the vessel is occupied by rich and spoiled Infidels doesn't register with you? I myself want to show courtesy, and well meaning, and be left alone after that as far as politics go, which means I DO see a few reasons not to go out of my way to establish myself other than as a sailor in a foreign country that has "Come in Peace" and with good intent.
FWIW,

Ann and I have been cruising a long time, primarily in Mexico and the SW Pacific, but with visits into SE Asia on friends boats.

We have always flown the ensign and the appropriate courtesy flag. In these 25 years, we have had ONE incident of anti-American sentiment directed at us. That, surprisingly, was in Whangaroa, New Zealand, where a drunken young man on a tourist boat shouted a lot of unpleasant things at us. Others in the party appeared embarrassed by his behavior.

It may surprise the above poster, but in most of the nations that we have visited, Americans are still viewed favorably. We have only sampled a small fraction of the world, and there may well be some cruising destinations where Americans are universally disliked. I don't think that many of the areas torn with Islamic hatred are usually included in cruising plans, and thus don't appear to be a problem to many cruisers.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann
Old 20-08-2011, 16:46   #21

Boat: Lagoon 420

We are Canadian and have had many opportunities to travel throughout the USA and get to know the people and enjoy the country. We have done so by Car, Motorcycle and Sailboat. I also work with many Americans. You should be proud to fly your flag. Great Country and Great People.

The minority that might have something to say because they see a flag are ignorant and ill informed. Get to know the people first! I suppose that comment holds true no matter which country the flag is from.
Old 20-08-2011, 17:11   #22

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafthaus View Post
We are Canadian and have had many opportunities to travel throughout the USA and get to know the people and enjoy the country. We have done so by Car, Motorcycle and Sailboat. I also work with many Americans. You should be proud to fly your flag. Great Country and Great People.

The minority that might have something to say because they see a flag are ignorant and ill informed. Get to know the people first! I suppose that comment holds true no matter which country the flag is from.
Very nicely put from our much appreciated neighbor from the north.
Old 20-08-2011, 17:13   #23
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by krafthaus View Post
You should be proud to fly your flag.
Most of us are!
Old 20-08-2011, 19:28   #24

With almost 2 RTW's have never had any problems being American and always fly my ensign and proud to do so.

Too many people watch too much TV.

It all has to do with the person, not the flag. Have had many locals want to visit and talk to you abouy the USA. Been invited to many homes for dinners and gotten rides and assistance because we are from the USA. Many cruisers miss a lor of fun if they are hiding who they are..
Old 20-08-2011, 22:25   #25

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Very nicely put from our much appreciated neighbor from the north.
In fact, we've visited your part of the Hudson River cburger. We enjoyed the fireworks on the 4th of July in 2004 across the river from you in Sleepy Hollow. There were fireworks going off all up and down the river - very enjoyable! We loved seeing the bunting and the flags on the homes as we drove through New York and New England.
Old 21-08-2011, 17:07   #26

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Ok Not meaning to take this topic sideways........But

In my years of cruise working through the Caribbean on work permits in different countries. I have been required to pay import duty on my vessel/home because I am no longer considered a transient vessel. No worries that's the price you have to pay......but my question.....Now that my vessel is a documented resident, by payment of import duty....am I still required to fly a courtesy flag? Oh and can those duty payments add to the value of the vessel? Two questions really.....thoughts?
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 18:08   #27

Since you are just a documented worker, not a residenr, I would GUESS, yes to the courtesy flag. To make surem hust go down to Custom/Immigration and ask them. After all, thats who you would be in trouble with..
Taxes don't raise the value of anything.
Old 21-08-2011, 18:23   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsailors View Post
Ok Not meaning to take this topic sideways........But

In my years of cruise working through the Caribbean on work permits in different countries. I have been required to pay import duty on my vessel/home because I am no longer considered a transient vessel. No worries that's the price you have to pay......but my question.....Now that my vessel is a documented resident, by payment of import duty....am I still required to fly a courtesy flag? Oh and can those duty payments add to the value of the vessel? Two questions really.....thoughts?
G'Day CS,

IMO (and experience) if your boat is registered in a foreign country you should indeed continue to fly the courtesy flag. Its tax status does not change its port of registry.

And yes, if you chose to sell your boat in the country where you have paid the importation fees, its local value will be greater. Whether you can realize any of this increase will depend on too many factors to allow speculation. We sold our previous boat in Australia after importing her. If she had not been imported, an Australian buyer would have had to pay the duty, and thus would not have been willing to pay as much for her. As it happened, our buyer was Dutch... and it didn't matter to him. Oh well, it had seemed like a good idea at the time!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-08-2011, 20:52   #29

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Thumbs up Re: Is Flying Your Ensign a Requirement ?

Thank you all for your quick replies.!! Being the good mariner, I believe I am and still being a guest, on a work permit. I feel it is prudent to fly a courtesy of the country I am transiting, be it days or years. I am still a foreign flagged vessel. I was just wanting to get some thoughts

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 07:53   #30

...I agree.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: