Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 16:10   #286

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Impounded boats in Mexico

Latitude 38 can be like a Pitbull..
Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-01-2014, 16:36   #287
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well...I guess you would have to of gone online, made the attempt, gone to Mexico and experienced it for yourself before passing that one. Nice jab by the way to our countries leader.
Half right

I would have gone online.

But if I had failed (and I needed a TIP before arriving) .......I would not have gone.

I also would not have gone if paperwork simply too much aggro or requirements uncertain.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-01-2014, 18:19   #288

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

We were aboard Squid many years ago: quit an interesting boat.

Ann

Different Squid, mine is even more "interesting". But I have a real cruising boat now, tried to change my signature but couldn't figure how to do it. Here's a photo of my Squid (sorry for the thread drift - as you were).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	this one.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	74951  

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-01-2014, 18:36   #289

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Isn't it possible to get the TIP in Tijuana?

When I went to Mexico I went to Tijuana by land (when the boat was in San Diego) and obtained my reciprocal ham license. That was no big deal. I would think it is possible to obtain a TIP there, before taking the boat into Mexico.

I think it was a mistake to fill in the TIP application online with knowingly false information. It definitely opens the door to charges. Better to find another way.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2014, 07:06   #290

Boat: Crealock 37

Checked into Ensenada two days ago. Couldn't have been easier. All the officials knew exactly what numbers needed to be where on the docs. No problema. Nobody that we've met in the marina is very concerned. Anyway, we are moving south tomorrow. Love it here and glad we made the jump. Good luck to all!
timor-bound is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2014, 07:15   #291

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

We tried to apply for out TIP online before we arrived in Mexico. We saw that the options that we needed weren't there and decided to do it in person when we checked in in Ensenada. Cruiseport Village gave us a ride to the offices and the whole check in procedure was as simple as could be and only took 1/2 an hour. Check out was equally easy.
I can't imagine why anybody thinks that you are required to get a TIP before you enter the country. Even if you were, the SAT doesn't have any boats to chase you down with and they're not waiting in the marinas for you to arrive so that they can seize your boat or anything, they're in Tijuana, Guadalajara, and Mexico City.
Old 30-01-2014, 21:37   #292

Agreed. We didn't bother with TIP or visas prior to entering. Way easier to do in Ensenada.
Old 30-01-2014, 23:12   #293

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

My plans have been to leave for Mexico around the time of the Baja HaHa 2014... and they still are. I have been following this episode, and even though it has been a major problem for those impounded by it... I think it will ultimately be resolved and the boats released.

The one thing that I don't like about the HaHa, and why I may not be able to participate fully in it, is that from my observations - before this event, and after - I think its a whole lot easier (and fun - read: Hussongs, etc) to clear in and be done with it in Ensenada... so that's my plan!

Cheers!

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvTikiNotion
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 31-01-2014, 03:52   #294

Agreed. We didn't bother with TIP or visas prior to entering. Way easier to do in Ensenada.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:57   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Ricko View Post
My plans have been to leave for Mexico around the time of the Baja HaHa 2014... and they still are. I have been following this episode, and even though it has been a major problem for those impounded by it... I think it will ultimately be resolved and the boats released.

The one thing that I don't like about the HaHa, and why I may not be able to participate fully in it, is that from my observations - before this event, and after - I think its a whole lot easier (and fun - read: Hussongs, etc) to clear in and be done with it in Ensenada... so that's my plan!

Cheers!
I'm not, personally, a huge fan of the haha but regardless I'm pretty sure there are boats every year that join from Ensenada. They get down there early, clear paperwork, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2014, 08:40   #296

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Latitude 38's boat has been released as well as others, so it sounds like my prediction of the end of the month to resolve this mess was correct. The TIP issue should quiet down now, but this is Mexico. Read the L38 news about the new regulation requiring captains licenses for all boats entering the country...
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2014, 09:09   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Latitude 38's boat has been released as well as others, so it sounds like my prediction of the end of the month to resolve this mess was correct. The TIP issue should quiet down now, but this is Mexico. Read the L38 news about the new regulation requiring captains licenses for all boats entering the country...
I'm not advocating cruisers having a captains license to sail their boat locally or in other countries but I am a supporter of a basic certification in sailing, docking and seamanship. I mean, really, you need a license for a car. I see people all the time that cannot anchor, dock or sail with even a little bit of efficiency. Many cannot read weather, plot on a chart or know the do's and don'ts of the VHF radio.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 03-02-2014, 20:19   #298

Just to keep the record straight, seeing as I believe it to have become a little 'bent' in the latest from Latitude 38:

Feb 3, Richard Spindler writes: "Among the released boats is one that fled Mexico for the States in the middle of the night a while back. "Liberating" a boat that already illegally fled your country . . . that pretty much sums up this fiasco."

Okay, I admit it, it is me to which Richard is referring but there are a few problems with the facts. Maybe Richard didn't read any of my detailed posts in this forum. I'll reiterate, please bear with me.

1/ We did NOT flee (illegally fled) the country. We had permission, a zarpe etc. from the port captain AND a letter of permission to leave from Marina Coral.

2/ It was NOT the middle of the night, it was 3 pm local time after calmly clearing out, shopping for a few snacks in the local Soriana, filling the tanks and leaving - at or below the posted speed limit, I might add.

3/ As for "Liberating" me or my boat - I can't, in all honesty, say it was ever NOT liberated. All I got was verbal gobbledegook from the marina. The grainy fax I was shown had my boat name wrong and nobody at all knew what was going on. Sounds more like a plot for a Marx Broz comedy. Too bad it wasn't funny and the joke was on us, but the actual true frustration, fear, anger, etc that took place is minimized by not getting the facts straight or embellishing them - even just a little bit.

I am glad to hear the situation is coming to an end.

Thanks to all the cruisers and posters that stuck with us through this trying time.
CSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2014, 20:42   #299

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Whoa! I don't see ANYTHING that says Mexico is moving to require CAPTAIN'S LICENSES to entry Mexico on a boat!

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvTikiNotion
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2014, 21:00   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Stone View Post
Just to keep the record straight, seeing as I believe it to have become a little 'bent' in the latest from Latitude 38:

Feb 3, Richard Spindler writes: "Among the released boats is one that fled Mexico for the States in the middle of the night a while back. "Liberating" a boat that already illegally fled your country . . . that pretty much sums up this fiasco."

Okay, I admit it, it is me to which Richard is referring but there are a few problems with the facts. Maybe Richard didn't read any of my detailed posts in this forum. I'll reiterate, please bear with me.

1/ We did NOT flee (illegally fled) the country. We had permission, a zarpe etc. from the port captain AND a letter of permission to leave from Marina Coral.

2/ It was NOT the middle of the night, it was 3 pm local time after calmly clearing out, shopping for a few snacks in the local Soriana, filling the tanks and leaving - at or below the posted speed limit, I might add.

3/ As for "Liberating" me or my boat - I can't, in all honesty, say it was ever NOT liberated. All I got was verbal gobbledegook from the marina. The grainy fax I was shown had my boat name wrong and nobody at all knew what was going on. Sounds more like a plot for a Marx Broz comedy. Too bad it wasn't funny and the joke was on us, but the actual true frustration, fear, anger, etc that took place is minimized by not getting the facts straight or embellishing them - even just a little bit.

I am glad to hear the situation is coming to an end.

Thanks to all the cruisers and posters that stuck with us through this trying time.
I always wondered if Richard read this forum. If he did, he'd probably deny it. He is in sensationalizing mode right now. Maybe even payback for the inconvenience he put up with also. Maybe you were used as a pond. I wouldn't put it past him to make a point.
He tends not to debate people. If anyone writes into Latitude and he doesn't like what they say, he will only reply one scathing reply back to them. He probably knows he would be eaten alive on a forum.
That said, I'm glad you're back safe and sound and set the record straight.

Tags
Mexico