Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2016, 16:58   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Importing Boat Parts to Mexico

What about bringing parts by car? Our boat is in San Carlos and we are keeping our truck for a few months after arrival. If we pick up parts in Phoenix, how does that go?
When BF drove down in June he was never even asked to see inside the truck bed (hard cover).
Old 15-08-2016, 17:36   #17

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I flew into Cancun dozens of times with boat parts. Always had receipts for everything and a neatly printed summery. Always careful to stay under $300. Got the red light several times and handed them the summery with the original receipts stapled to it. Usually waved right on through. A couple of times they counted pieces and wanted to match up receipts to pieces. That was every time except once. I had a cast iron exhaust elbow for a Ford Lehman engine. I didn't even get to the "Push the Button". When the gal on the X-ray machine saw it she called over a supervisor and they wanted to see it. I showed it to them and the original receipt from American Diesel (for $120) and he didn't believe that it only cost $120. I kept saying "Not Yanmar. It's a Ford!" After a couple of long minutes he shook his head and waved me through.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 08:00   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have my boat in Mx. I have crossed in my own vehicle (back of the truck stacked sky-high)and stopped by the Military at the crossing. I just pulled out multi-pages of Mx officialdom...enough to make the guy scratch his head and move me on with a smile.
Using Tufesa bus, I have never been questioned. My 3 huge suit cases full. My advice is to be courteous and well behaved.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 14:26   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

they always ask if you have anything to declare. declare is 300 usd and more. certain other items disallowed in mexico as well need to be declared, as well as firearms.
your consulate has a list of disallowed items. you are given this before you get visa, as i recall.
have fun
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 16:27   #20

Boat: Tayana V 42

Thanks everyone for the information
Jim
James R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 06:34   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

At Los Cabos International (SJD) the customs office now takes Visa and Mastercard so no need to bring a wad of cash to pay duty. Don't know about other airports.
berferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 18:23   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I wonder if they do the same in Nogales?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
import, Mexico, parts