Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2007, 05:36   #1
cruiser

Importing a Boat From Canada To United States

Have any of you Americans bought a boat in Canada for import to the United States?

What is the procedure for this? Red tape involved? Documentation procedure? Anything to watch out for from a tax perspective?

Most of the best fishing boats I'm looking at are in Canada.

Thanks
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:21   #2

Sean.

I think Charlie might have?

His boats up around BC right now. Maybe you should PM him???

PS. Your PM mailbox is full!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:00   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Sean:

Boats up in BC now but it was actually a purchase of an US Documented boat in Canada and then brought out of the Canada and then brought back in to Canada to go cruising. All rather complex.

Thanks Captain K.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:45   #4

Boat: PDQ32
import of boat

As long as the boat was built in North America it falls under the free trade deal so there is no duty to be paid. Paperwork is no big deal. No taxes need be paid in Canada if you are taking the boat to the US. You may be subject to tax at the final destination depending on where you register the boat.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:27   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
My boat was a registered Canadian vessel when I bought her. I had to "import" the boat into the USA and pay import duty on the sales price of the boat. I can dig up the receipt if you like, but I seem to remember that the duty was 2%. Also, if your potential new boat is a documented Canadian vessel, you also have to have it stricken from the Canadian Government records before it can be registered in any US state, or become a documented USA vessel. It took the Canadian Government about 3 weeks to process my request.

I had a boat broker help with all the paperwork, and it really wasn't all that difficult.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Importing a Canadian-Made boat into the US is cheap (<2% includuing broker's fee) & Duty-Free (NAFTA).
You will need a customs broker, so might as well get the exact details from the broker now.
I think it cost me < $200 on a $30K declared value (not certain, but not much more)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 17:10   #7
cruiser

Ahhh... this is all a lot of good news! I'm glad to hear that any boat built in Canada will be able to be imported to the USA with only a very small fee. Thanks for the information.

Could it be that NAFTA has some small shred of value?

Uh oh... that's a bad question... could lead to serious thread derailment. Please don't answer.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 13:24   #8

Boat: NONE yet
Could it be that NAFTA has some small shred of value?

I almost responded!!
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 14:40   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Importing a Canadian-Made boat into the US is cheap (<2% includuing broker's fee) & Duty-Free (NAFTA).
You still have state sales tax. NAFTA does not extend to the states just the federal government.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 15:51   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Guys,

In Sean's original post, he made no mention if the boat was Canadian built.. or not. He simply asked about importing a boat which happens to be in Canada. A small distinction, but one that is applicable to US customs duty.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 06:35   #11

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Trekker (now PJs Song) was a US-built Endeavour documented in Canada for its orignal owner. When we purchased her we paid no import duties / fees whatsoever other than the USCG documentation fees.

FWIW

Old 24-06-2007, 21:23   #12

Importing a US Built boat back into US from Canada

So from what i am reading, it is simple to import a Knoxville TN built boat back into the USA from Novia Scotia Canada even though it might have been sold there new???? Any duty? I got the 2% but any other hidden items?
Regards
criddy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 08:18   #13

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
In our similar case we paid nothing... no 2% duty, nothing. Only USCG documentation fees and State registration / sales tax in Texas. My guess is that import duty, if it was in effect at the time of original purchase and import to Canada, was paid for that transaction. No return-to-the-US duty should be invovled.
Old 12-06-2008, 18:06   #14

Boat Import

Hello Rick,

We're in the process of shipping our own boat from Canada to our new residence here in Florida. I'm looking for a broker/freight forwarder to handle the paperwork at the border with my hauler. Do you have any connections o this issue?
I'm also woundering what are the imposed taxs and duties on our own boat? thanks, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
My boat was a registered Canadian vessel when I bought her. I had to "import" the boat into the USA and pay import duty on the sales price of the boat. I can dig up the receipt if you like, but I seem to remember that the duty was 2%. Also, if your potential new boat is a documented Canadian vessel, you also have to have it stricken from the Canadian Government records before it can be registered in any US state, or become a documented USA vessel. It took the Canadian Government about 3 weeks to process my request.

I had a boat broker help with all the paperwork, and it really wasn't all that difficult.

Rick in Florida
VIKING33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 18:44   #15

We're in the process of shipping our own boat from Canada to our new residence in Florida. I'm looking for a broker/freight forwarder to handle the paperwork at the US border with my hauler. Does anyone have information on this issue?
What are the taxs and duties on our own boat? thanks,
VIKING33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada