Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2010, 10:44   #16

Hi everyone. I am looking at a boat in Fl. built in the US and registered in Canada. The boat is in Fl. and I am told it is paid for and has a Canadian title. How should I proceed on this one,liens etc. and will the import duty get me, or just registration/sales tax in Fl. Many thanks.
Victor
sunvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 18:44   #17

Boat: Pearson 323
I believe you said a fishing boat? Used to be that commerical fishing vessels could not purchased out of country and brought in to the U.S. Several fisherman who liked the Canadian boats purchased the hulls and finished building in the U.S. If the boat is to be used commercially I'd check to make sure it can be used for fishing.
Rayallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 11:37   #18

Import Regulations on importing a boat

Provided the boat was actually manufactured in Canada , it will be duty free when importing into the USA. Boats from other parts of the world are subject to 1.5% duty. Presently no other Government agencies are involved at time of import , but the EPA will get involved in 2012 due to emission restrictions that are scheduled to become law. You will most likely need a U.S. licensed Customshouse Broker (such as myself) to customs clear the boat. Regards
hmistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 21:30   #19

I'm looking to buy a boat in Vancouver but I keep hearing about all these brokers! I don't have a buyer's broker and I'm just buying the boat off a guy on craigslist in Vancouver so how does someone like me do the contract, get a customs broker and other to be named brokers? Really is confusing! Any help would be great.
Liberty Risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 18:26   #20

Boat: Beneteau/343
Re: Importing a Boat From Canada To United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Risk View Post
I'm looking to buy a boat in Vancouver but I keep hearing about all these brokers! I don't have a buyer's broker and I'm just buying the boat off a guy on craigslist in Vancouver so how does someone like me do the contract, get a customs broker and other to be named brokers? Really is confusing! Any help would be great.
Did you ever get an answer to this?
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:15   #21

With your dollar being above the canadian dollar it would be cheaper to buy a boat in BC then bring it back to the states. And there isn't that much red tape to go through.
Freedom2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 18:41   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Be aware that you guys have resurrected a very old thread. I doubt the PO would still be interested.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 14:54   #23

THough this is an old thread, I am interested in resurrecting it as well. I am about to purchase a boat in Canada (though US made back in the day) and bring it back down to Seattle. What am I going to have to pay at the border as far as taxes, duty, etc? Is it worth it to try and have the current registered owner (the guy im buying it from) drive it over the border into the states? This is an option.
BigJohn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 16:02   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If it was built in the US there will be no duty. State or federal taxes I have no knowledge of.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:30   #25

Hi Just wondering if anyone has had recent experience with this. We are trying to help sort this out for the sale of our Canadian made boat in BC to a U.S. resident bring it into Washington. If anyone has any recent experience any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
m.r.armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:08   #26

We sold our boat last year, in BC to a Seattle resident, We purchased the boat in Seattle. So for our buyer he was told he would need to pay the Seattle State taxes when he comes with the boat through customs. This is all we know. We did have to fill out the paperwork for the marine title which he needed to bring across the border, and you need the purchase am..amount, in American money; this is what customs requires. Also; the boat owner... so the person selling the boat is required to be at customs when the new buyer brings the boat across the boarder. So.. what we did; the buyer pays for a skipper who will have a signed paper ;by the seller and act on your behafe. I hope this helps....
Old 12-07-2015, 12:16   #27

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.r.armstrong View Post
Hi Just wondering if anyone has had recent experience with this. We are trying to help sort this out for the sale of our Canadian made boat in BC to a U.S. resident bring it into Washington. If anyone has any recent experience any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
I recommend using a documentation agency/agent. They're very familiar with all situations and how to process most expeditiously. Yes, there is a cost. But there's a value in making it easy and doing it right.

On the boat described, built in Canada, there will be no duty.

It will be subject to sales taxes, excise tax and property tax in Washington, if you plan on keeping it there. Here is a link to all the state requirements. You'll notice they are different depending on whether you're a resident or Washington or not.

http://dor.wa.gov/docs/pubs/watercra...x/boatbroc.pdf
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 15:19   #28

I did send a comment today but I was just thinking about it and how easier to make it for you; Just call the US customs, they'll tell you what you need to do. This is what our Yacht broker did, as he wasn't too familiar either. Also call marine title in Seattle; those 2 places will tell you exactly what is needed. Hope this helps
Old 13-07-2015, 12:45   #29

Thank you for the info! It seems so far that we are thinking it is more complicated than it really is. Thank you again.
m.r.armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 13:42   #30

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.r.armstrong View Post
Thank you for the info! It seems so far that we are thinking it is more complicated than it really is. Thank you again.
Well, if you use someone like Marine Title or other such companies in your area (there are many in Seattle) then it's very simple as they tell you anything you need to do.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada