Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2017, 06:09   #16

Boat: 42 Krogen #61
Re: Immigration just to get fuel?

If you ate worried about money, stop in the cheap/free countries. Honduras, Caymans, Jamaica, etc. Avoid the pricey ones, Mexico, Colombia(including Providencia & San Andres), etc.

Do your homework and stay legal

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 10:36   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

L-
"My husband has a record" If that was a felony conviction, he might not be allowed entry, You could try a day trip across the land border to find out for sure. Or contact our ICE folks to see what they have to say, and get a reference to the actual law because what someone who answers phones says in "just opinion" and doesn't count.
Stopping for fuel counts as entering the country and making land. You'll need to apply for a cruising permit and follows the rules about reporting your position every time that changes, as well. Yes, even if that's just docking for fuel, you're entering the country. If you sail through without touching land, that's a different story.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 11:10   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If you're talking about the corn islands, it seems you're leaving from Bocas. It's possible to wait for weather, sail north till you pick up the trades, and squeeze around Cabo Gracias a Dios, after which you can fall off and beeline for Mexico. If you want a better angle, work east along the Panama coast--it's lovely cruising, and then jump off from wherever you get. I have gone from Colombia straight to Isla Mujeres without burning much fuel--pretty much just to motor into harbor.

As far as not checking in--a lot of places along the way don't have fuel docks--if you go ashore with a fuel jug to catch a taxi to the gas station, well, you're ashore. Some places like Providencia keep a pretty close eye on who comes and goes, others like Guanaja wouldn't care if you didn't go and hunt down the immigration folk. Everywhere that I can think of that has ready fuel also has immigration paying attention.
But do you really think that if you come in from sea and stop for fuel you won't also want to spend a quiet night at anchor and buy groceries? I can't fathom it.
I say, just plan to check in wherever you HAVE to stop, and make the stop worthwhile.
Old 19-11-2017, 13:11   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Goden, what route/schedule are you planning which you believe requires this?

With a little patience and planning it is quite possible to get from Panama to Florida this time of year without motoring the whole way or even bashing to windward for that matter.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 13:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSchell View Post
I would like to add to this question in a way. We will be travelling south from Canada. My husband has a record ( a DUI from 20 yrs ago) will we have problems stopping for fuel in US waters on the way?
He wasnt convicted of hijacking was he?

(as in hijacking a thread) 😆
Old 19-11-2017, 13:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I'm just working out a sailboat delivery to Florida, so this is timely. I will have about 90 gallons leaving Panama, and it looks like Grand Cayman might be a good stop to wait for weather and fuel if I need it. Is there a fuel dock where I can bring 11 ft alongside?
From where in Panama to where in FL?
Old 19-11-2017, 13:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
If you're talking about the corn islands, it seems you're leaving from Bocas. It's possible to wait for weather, sail north till you pick up the trades, and squeeze around Cabo Gracias a Dios, after which you can fall off and beeline for Mexico. If you want a better angle, work east along the Panama coast--it's lovely cruising, and then jump off from wherever you get. I have gone from Colombia straight to Isla Mujeres without burning much fuel--pretty much just to motor into harbor.

...exactly...

Getting E in Panama during trade winds season (not yet, but soon come) will also get you into more wind (W Panama is almost always light and variable).

From E Panama with good Trades, you can easily make San Andres/Providencia...or just keep going.

...then wait for a cold front in Isla and head for FL. Given that its almost December, those will start rolling down regularly soon.

I have a friend in route to Isla now...looks like he may get a shift to get to the States in a few days.
Old 19-11-2017, 14:38   #23

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Whilst in a different Continent... Gibraltar has fuel docks on the outside of Immigration - you can fuel up (tax free) and pay for it, without entering Gibraltar. You are not permitted to enter Gibraltar from the Fuel dock.
hobsonlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 15:04   #24

Boat: Various

Quote:
I would like to add to this question in a way. We will be travelling south from Canada. My husband has a record ( a DUI from 20 yrs ago) will we have problems stopping for fuel in US waters on the way?
What is your husband's nationality and exactly what is the conviction and where was it?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 15:20   #25

As with most things in life, it's all about preparation:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)And most importantly, don't forget a phone card!

7) And for the overnighter:

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 16:28   #26

He is Canadian and it was a DUI in Canada 28 years ago. I really don't think it will be an issue but want to make sure before we cast off. We are yachters rather than sailers so fuel is an issue for us.
LSchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 16:33   #27

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
He is Canadian and it was a DUI in Canada 28 years ago. I really don't think it will be an issue but want to make sure before we cast off. We are yachters rather than sailers so fuel is an issue for us.
I would think that the people to ask would be US immigration, or whatever they call themselves today, via email so as you have a written traceable response.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 17:29   #28

Boat: Various

Quote:
Was it a misdemeanor or felony or what in the Canadian equivalency? Doubt he'll have any issue in the US. If he was a US citizen going the other way, he would.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel