Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2013, 21:02   #46

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Re: I'm working on a book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Your doubts are what they are banking on..
My doubts? I sure hope to never be so unlucky or plain stupid that I'd need to illegally enter any country, let alone the post-9/11 USA.

Otherwise, ditto Rakuflames. Certain Colombian products are widely available and rather cheap throughout the continent. Therefore, they don't catch them all.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 21:12   #47
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: I'm Working On A Book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Somebody sure has been looking at the wrong coast for folks entering the US from Mexico and other countrys Via Mexico. Theres boats droping off folks along the bayous down here in So. Louisiana at least every week !! Ive seen the vans full of them headed to other parts of the state and the country! Theres just so much water, and places that folks can't see down here that it's a commen thing these days of low fish prices, and reduced limits, that a guy has to make a little money some way!! I know that Connie and I have been approched to carry some aboard our boat, cus of the size and the fact we live down the bayou !! Of course at our age we would never take a chance! but 40 yrs ago I would be makin big bucks LOL

Sure you would have, Bob. We all believe THAT one!

But you make a good point. Some coasts are much more suitable for hiding than California. Florida isn't great either. We don't have that watery "back country" they have in Louisiana.

That said, sometimes the folk in those areas go back five, six, generations or more -- in other words, strangers will stand out. So you still might be better off with the California coast, where new people are constantly coming and going.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 21:39   #48

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

When a boat's water line is outside its intended water displacement level and is going full speed ahead with very powerful engines, it will trigger a "suspicious" satellite tracking and a search. A heavily loaded vessel will give out a different wave signature than a normally loaded one. Add very high speed to this, and you'll have a boat that is hard to control/maneuver. While it is not possible to catch every boat involved in illegal activities, radar/satellite technology go after the greedy ones.

Mauritz
Simplicity and elegance through engineering.
Old 17-09-2013, 22:17   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
When a boat's water line is outside its intended water displacement level and is going full speed ahead with very powerful engines, it will trigger a "suspicious" satellite tracking and a search. A heavily loaded vessel will give out a different wave signature than a normally loaded one. Add very high speed to this, and you'll have a boat that is hard to control/maneuver. While it is not possible to catch every boat involved in illegal activities, radar/satellite technology go after the greedy ones.

Mauritz
Simplicity and elegance through engineering.

But there's nothing unusual about sailors sailing, stopping here, stopping there for a few days, meandering up the coast. Strip down the living conditions and that weight can be used for other, more illegal things.

It's possible. Little room for a margin of error will only heighten the suspense in the story.
Old 19-09-2013, 16:07   #50

I read about immigrants being left on the Coronado Islands Mx, with a jug of water and promises to come back. The coyotes never do. I also heard about Angels (the ones who drop water in the desert) would visit the islands and bring them water.

Someone mentioned their specific experience of going to customs (I'm guessing San Diego via the Harbor Police) and having the opportunity to "drop" something off if they had wanted to. This is the kind of specific information I was seeking. The only problem is that would be kind of risky.
The Border Patrol website states you're supposed to phone in your arrival some hours in advance with passport numbers, name, DOB, telling them how many passengers you have aboard. I'm not sure if that is required or not, but that would pose a problem.
Someone else brought up sailing up into the Chanel islands. I'm not sure if that's an American boat you're suggesting (assuming so), but how would you pick someone up? Once you harbor in Mexico, you're required to report.

Kidnapping cases are pretty extreme. Most are not random, so I'm guessing the two being referred to were a relative. They could easily track down the relative's boat and then look for it as if they were looking for a car.

Someone else brought up radar. Hmm...Yes, I saw a story that focused on USCG looking for boats after a murder on San Clemente Island (youtubed it, interesting whodunnit). They showed up as blurbs, like a dot and were limited to boats over 100'. The murder was in 2006 and I'm sure if they wanted to look at something after the fact they probably could.
How do you cover up the heat signature on a motor? That's a great idea that would make the line of site difficult, especially if you were not near the coast.
Someone else (sorry, I didn't feel like scrolling back to view names) brought up making the plot more interesting by sailing in heavy seas. If the protagonist (yes, he's the good guy) did his research, then he wouldn't go during bad weather unless there was a specific reason for doing so.
To create more interest, I was thinking of adding a plan b element. For example, James Bond movies always show his toys in advance. In Skyfall, the director does some foreshadowing by showing a pistol being linked with James' finger/palm print; it can only be shot by him. You know there is going to be a seen when this comes into play. It's safe to assume someone is going to try and shoot 007 with his own gun.
Instead of having bad weather when the best course of action would be to go in better weather, it would be something like a dive suit, night vision goggles (you have to have the same equipment), snorkel gear, etc.
I've seen the night vision footage from the helicopters of the USCG chasing a smuggler. It's almost like daylight, even though it's happening at night.
NoBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 16:15   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBoat View Post
I read about immigrants being left on the Coronado Islands Mx, with a jug of water and promises to come back. The coyotes never do. I also heard about Angels (the ones who drop water in the desert) would visit the islands and bring them water.

Someone mentioned their specific experience of going to customs (I'm guessing San Diego via the Harbor Police) and having the opportunity to "drop" something off if they had wanted to. This is the kind of specific information I was seeking. The only problem is that would be kind of risky.
The Border Patrol website states you're supposed to phone in your arrival some hours in advance with passport numbers, name, DOB, telling them how many passengers you have aboard. I'm not sure if that is required or not, but that would pose a problem.
Someone else brought up sailing up into the Chanel islands. I'm not sure if that's an American boat you're suggesting (assuming so), but how would you pick someone up? Once you harbor in Mexico, you're required to report.

Kidnapping cases are pretty extreme. Most are not random, so I'm guessing the two being referred to were a relative. They could easily track down the relative's boat and then look for it as if they were looking for a car.

Someone else brought up radar. Hmm...Yes, I saw a story that focused on USCG looking for boats after a murder on San Clemente Island (youtubed it, interesting whodunnit). They showed up as blurbs, like a dot and were limited to boats over 100'. The murder was in 2006 and I'm sure if they wanted to look at something after the fact they probably could.
How do you cover up the heat signature on a motor? That's a great idea that would make the line of site difficult, especially if you were not near the coast.
Someone else (sorry, I didn't feel like scrolling back to view names) brought up making the plot more interesting by sailing in heavy seas. If the protagonist (yes, he's the good guy) did his research, then he wouldn't go during bad weather unless there was a specific reason for doing so.
To create more interest, I was thinking of adding a plan b element. For example, James Bond movies always show his toys in advance. In Skyfall, the director does some foreshadowing by showing a pistol being linked with James' finger/palm print; it can only be shot by him. You know there is going to be a seen when this comes into play. It's safe to assume someone is going to try and shoot 007 with his own gun.
Instead of having bad weather when the best course of action would be to go in better weather, it would be something like a dive suit, night vision goggles (you have to have the same equipment), snorkel gear, etc.
I've seen the night vision footage from the helicopters of the USCG chasing a smuggler. It's almost like daylight, even though it's happening at night.
No, in the kidnapping they did not use relatives' boats. They bought their own boats and took elaborate measures to disguise them. One guy had a boat yard paint his entire boat battleship gray because he thought that would make him harder to see on the water.

In one case it was a father who snatched his son. In the other case it was a husband and wife who had lost custody of their children to a grandparent. In both cases they were caught.
Old 19-09-2013, 16:20   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm Working On A Book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

In one case it was a father who snatched his son. In the other case it was a husband and wife who had lost custody of their children to a grandparent. In both cases they were caught.
They were not caught... they made it to their chosen destination... but Cuba deported them..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote