Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 15:50   #61
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: i keep peeving tugs.

i had assumed, incorrectly, that the rules were the ones i was taught in the boating class. i had no idea there were more.
the ones i was taught were, keep right, yield to port, run your lights, yield to sailboats under sail, yield to all unpowered craft, and your responsable for any damage your wake causes. the course was taught by sheriff's....
Old 05-07-2013, 15:51   #62

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I have (since I'm a moderator here) just deleted several posts that were insulting and not germane to the discussion. ...
The g-d d-mn Germans got nothin' to do with it!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-xix...ls_intentions/

Old 05-07-2013, 15:52   #63
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
The g-d d-mn Germans got nothin' to do with it!

Smokey and the Bandit (1977): Sheriff Signals Intentions - Video

when i get home i am going to punch your mama in the mouth!
ha! 70's were funny....
Old 05-07-2013, 16:16   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i had assumed, incorrectly, that the rules were the ones i was taught in the boating class. i had no idea there were more.
the ones i was taught were, keep right, yield to port, run your lights, yield to sailboats under sail, yield to all unpowered craft, and your responsable for any damage your wake causes. the course was taught by sheriff's....
There are also rules that apply when encountering vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver. This may apply to tugs with tow, vessels constrained to a deep channel, boats dredging equipment or with some types of fishing gear in the water (to mention a few examples). There aren't that many rules you have to know, so get yourself a book, or go online, and study them.

And do use your radio in a situation like you have described. Even knowing the rules your appropriate course may sometimes be difficult to determine, so if there is a question give the other vessel a call. He's not yelling at you because he's a jerk, but because you are making his job difficult or dangerous. Find out why.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 05-07-2013, 16:24   #65

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Boy scoobert, for your own sake never come to Louisiana or really any southern ICW or rivers. Cus your interpataion of the inland rules and ours down here are sure not the same !! The first or second push boat with a big barge you would meet would most likely sink ya and that would be the end of it !! At least buy a book and read it before ya tell folks who are trying to help ya out they don't know what they are talking about !! Just sayin Im starting to think you just might be TROLLING !!
Old 05-07-2013, 17:48   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Hi Scoobert
The 'right of way' rules are much more complicated. There are LOTS of situations where sailboats under sail must give way to motor boats.

The easiest way to remember order of priority for giving way is to memorise the following mnemonic. And the easiest way to remember mnemonics is frequent repetition (eg run through this each time you brush your teeth and in will sink in soon enough).

"Generally, anchoring our red tugboat diligently minimizes surge loads."

The first letter in each word above is the first letter in the priority situation.

It is not enough to have it written at the nav station (bathroom is a much better place ) - you must be able to remember it instantly.

Generally,
General responsibility. Above all else, don't have a collision. "I had the right of way" isn't a defence if there was something you could have done to avoid the other boat.

Anchoring
Anchored. Anchored, stopped, or moored boats must be avoided by all other vessels.

Our
Overtaken. Boats being overtaken have the right of way over the overtaking vessel. (This is true even if the slower boat is power and the faster boat is sail.)

Red
Restricted maneuverability. Boats with restricted maneuverability, whether due to fishing, draft, length, towing, or other causes, have the right of way over vessels not so restricted.

Tugboat
Traffic separation. Vessels participating in a traffic-separation scheme have the right of way over non-participating vessels. (If you must cross a traffic lane, try to do so at right angles.)

Diligently
Downriver. On certain inland waters, powerboats proceeding downriver have the right of way over upriver and crossing vessels.

Minimises
Man-powered beats sail beats motorboat beats seaplane. Human-powered boats (canoes and rowboats) have the right of way over sailboats, which in turn have the right of way over powerboats, and even they have the right of way over seaplanes. I think of this in terms of increasing technological sophistication: the fancier your equipment, the fewer rights you have (sort of a class reversal).
This is an important one for sailors, of course, but note that there are a number of situations listed above where sailors must still give way.

Surge
Starboard boat or starboard tack wins. This actually represents two rules, depending on whether the meeting boats are both sail or both power. (If one is sail and one is power, the rule above applies.) For power boats, the boat approaching from starboard has the right of way. For sailboats, the boat that is on starboard tack has the right of way, regardless of from where it is approaching.

Loads.
Leeward boat wins. When two sailboats meet on the same tack, the leeward boat has the right of way over the windward boat.

And what do you mean by "yield to port"? If nothing else takes precedence, the starboard boat has right of way

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 05-07-2013, 18:01   #67

Boat: grampian 26

I read somewhere that it is two toots to the port and one to the starboard or vice versa. Those are supposedly the signals used by the push barges on the ICW. indicating the side they want you to pass on. Someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in.
Old 05-07-2013, 18:07   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
I read somewhere that it is two toots to the port and one to the starboard or vice versa. Those are supposedly the signals used by the push barges on the ICW. indicating the side they want you to pass on. Someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in.
Two toots means pass starboard to starboard.

One toot means pass port to port. If it is a head on situation this is the preferred way of passing.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 05-07-2013, 18:11   #69

Its hard to believe that some one would not understand the DANGERS involved by not knowing the rules or having a radio on and debate it ???? BUT not surprising,when I moved from inland lakes to the coast I thought that surely these boaters know the rules with all the commercial traffic and intersecting channels etc and that guy in the 45fter surely he knows.NOT! If the signal was given with the finger you can bet it was 5 whistles ,Monkey BOATERS is the nice term that is used
Old 05-07-2013, 18:11   #70

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

NOTHING is worse for a commercial boat than a yacht that is not monitoring the radio!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 18:13   #71

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I have (since I'm a moderator here) just deleted several posts that were insulting and not germane to the discussion. Please keep it civil!

And Scoobert, you have been given some very good advice. Learn the regulations, and keep a radio at the helm. People's lives and livelihoods are at stake.
Well stated, Paul Elliott, clear and to the points!

Ann
Old 05-07-2013, 18:18   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Two toots means pass starboard to starboard.

One toot means pass port to port. If it is a head on situation this is the preferred way of passing.
If you are signaled are you meant to respond in kind indicating you understand his intentions?
Old 05-07-2013, 18:38   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post

If you are signaled are you meant to respond in kind indicating you understand his intentions?
Under Rule 34 of Inland Rules you sound same signal in agreement. Five if you disagree.

Remember this is for power-driven vessels.

The International Rules are different
Old 05-07-2013, 19:02   #74

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

The easy way I learned the sound signals for passing was: starboard has two syllables, port has one. Regardless of intent or request, this interpretation is impossible to confuse.
Old 05-07-2013, 19:19   #75

Thanks for the clarification and certainly good to know for anyone transiting narrow waterways with heavy commercial traffic.
Closed Thread