Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 19:29   #76

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: i keep peeving tugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
could it have been two, and wanting me to pass on his starboard?
If you listen to 13 in a crowded channel you will hear a LOT commercial vessel chatter as they communicate constantly, asking what each other's course and/or intent is, giving notice of what their own situation (maneuverability, course, etc.) is. This information can not only help you stay out of their way but also give you notice of boats that you can not even get a visual on that you'll need to watch out for.

To say you're not going to bother with the radio but instead keep a cheat sheet of sound signals is like saying you're going to keep smoking and eating cheeseburgers and bone up on stints and open heart surgery.

scoobert, also keep in mind that ships in a river moving with the current are significantly less maneuverable than those headed up-current and have the right of way. That may have factored into the situation you described.
Old 05-07-2013, 20:04   #77

Boat: Prairie 29

Ah Scoobert. I recognize the boat. I was a little confused about the IO pushing you around in Albany though. Please PM me the name of the tug. I have most of their numbers. I will ask, to get his perspective.

Where specifically did this occur? What bouy? I transit this river year round, and know it pretty well.
Old 05-07-2013, 20:13   #78
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
i had assumed, incorrectly, that the rules were the ones i was taught in the boating class. i had no idea there were more.
the ones i was taught were, keep right, yield to port, run your lights, yield to sailboats under sail, yield to all unpowered craft, and your responsable for any damage your wake causes. the course was taught by sheriff's....
Meh . . . that wouldn't have been the Lake County (California) Sheriff's Department that taught you, would it Scoobert?

TaoJones
Old 05-07-2013, 20:15   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
The easy way I learned the sound signals for passing was: starboard has two syllables, port has one. Regardless of intent or request, this interpretation is impossible to confuse.
To give an addition to this valuable memory aid, the differences between meeting (and the above signals) and overtaking are often (OK, let's be honest) almost always not understood.

The way to keep it straight is: The vessel initiating the signals sounds One or Two short blasts. These indicate that the vessel is going to turn to Starboard (one blast) or to port (two blasts). This is the SAME whether the vessel is meeting, or overtaking.

The confusion comes when you are being overtaken. The guy is coming up behind you, and sounds one Blast. He is going to turn to starboard. That makes him overtake you on your Starboard side.

This is backwards from a meeting situation. Meeting on one blast, you would be met on the port side. I wish I had the graphics from the CG exam, but I can't find them. If nothing is learned about standing by on a Radio, then learn what whistle signals mean. it could save your life (or mine, so I don't have a heart attack meeting you.)
Old 05-07-2013, 20:25   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Under Rule 34 of Inland Rules you sound same signal in agreement. Five if you disagree.

Remember this is for power-driven vessels.

The International Rules are different

You certainly didn't mean to infer that Rule 34 does NOT apply to Sailing vessels did you?

As mentioned in Rule 9 (b) "A vessel less than 20 meters shall NOT impede the passage of a vessel that can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or Fairway." This sort of trumps Rule 34 in the circumstances being described.

When a vessel is proceeding and hears one, two or more whistles it would be nice if the SV knew what the whistles meant, and (since we are discussing narrow channels) how other vessels maneuvering may react, maneuver and behave in the channel. I can just imagine Capt. Swashbuckler saying to himself after reading your post: "Yup, I don't have to read Rule 34 now."
Old 05-07-2013, 20:30   #81

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Give all commercial vessels a wide berth. Don't rely on The Rules of The Road. If I would have followed the Colregs in Alaska I would have been sunk by a fishing boat a long time ago.
Old 05-07-2013, 21:20   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post

You certainly didn't mean to infer that Rule 34 does NOT apply to Sailing vessels did you?

As mentioned in Rule 9 (b) "A vessel less than 20 meters shall NOT impede the passage of a vessel that can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or Fairway." This sort of trumps Rule 34 in the circumstances being described.

When a vessel is proceeding and hears one, two or more whistles it would be nice if the SV knew what the whistles meant, and (since we are discussing narrow channels) how other vessels maneuvering may react, maneuver and behave in the channel. I can just imagine Capt. Swashbuckler saying to himself after reading your post: "Yup, I don't have to read Rule 34 now."
Rule 34 makes specific mention of power-driven vessels. I am assuming that was the status of the OP.

We need to be cognizant of all sounds not just those that apply to our own vessel. How many know the sound of a vessel underway but adrift in fog?
Old 05-07-2013, 21:21   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Give all commercial vessels a wide berth. Don't rely on The Rules of The Road. If I would have followed the Colregs in Alaska I would have been sunk by a fishing boat a long time ago.
Was he engaged in fishing?
Old 05-07-2013, 21:29   #84

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I just read through this thread and am appalled by the OPs attitude. In addition to USCG regulations radio use is controlled by FCC regulations as well. The OP is correct that having a radio on board is not a requirement for a recreational vessel of less than 20 meters, it is strictly voluntary. The problem for the OP is that he does have a radio on board and as such he is required by FCC regulations to use it and maintain a proper radio watch. See the following paragraph from CFR 47:

CFR

47 CFR 80.310 - Watch required by voluntary vessels.

There is 1 rule appearing in the Federal Register for 47 CFR 80. Select the tab below to view, or View eCFR (GPOAccess)
prev | next
§ 80.310
Watch required by voluntary vessels.
Voluntary vessels not equipped with DSC must maintain a watch on 2182 kHz and on 156.800 MHz (Channel 16) whenever the vessel is underway and the radio is not being used to communicate. Noncommercial vessels, such as recreational boats, may alternatively maintain a watch on 156.450 MHz (Channel 9) in lieu of VHF Channel 16 for call and reply purposes. Voluntary vessels equipped with VHF-DSC equipment must maintain a watch on 2182 kHz and on either 156.525 MHz (Channel 70) or VHF Channel 16 aurally whenever the vessel is underway and the radio is not being used to communicate. Voluntary vessels equipped with MF-HF DSC equipment must have the radio turned on and set to an appropriate DSC distress calling channel or one of the radiotelephone distress channels whenever the vessel is underway and the radio is not being used to communicate. Voluntary vessels equipped with Inmarsat A, B, C, M or Fleet F77 systems must have the unit turned on and set to receive calls whenever the vessel is underway and the radio is not being used to communicate.

Scoobert, it is not an option under the law for you to simply not use your radio. If you have it on board you must use it. If you don't want to use it, take it off the boat (not the brightest of ideas). As a 45 foot boat you are required to keep a copy of the USCG rules of the road on board. Please read the section on sound signals and commit the rules to memory. It may just save your life
Old 06-07-2013, 00:56   #85

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Just sayin Im starting to think you just might be TROLLING !!
That was my thought as well. If not...stay out of Texas too!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:50   #86
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Ah Scoobert. I recognize the boat. I was a little confused about the IO pushing you around in Albany though. Please PM me the name of the tug. I have most of their numbers. I will ask, to get his perspective.

Where specifically did this occur? What bouy? I transit this river year round, and know it pretty well.
hi cappy,
the IO was not pushing, lol, that was my dingy for the day. i had to shuttle people back and forth from the dock in albany to the yacht, the dingy we have now will not cut it for people transport. so i towed up my bayliner. i did not look at the name of the tug. tug boat names sound quite strange to me. He was side lashed also, about 7AM in coeymans, on july 4th, just before the break wall at high tide. i am guessing you might know who he was with this information. he was towing what i believe to be an empty fuel barge. my memory tells me he may have been green and white? but i do not know for sure.

I am genuinely curious what i did wrong. as i said, i could see his entire port side, then he turned onto a collision course with me, still about 3/4 mile away. unless he wanted starboard to starboard, i cannot understand why.

EDIT: wait wait wait...
i am getting my port and starboard all messed up.
i could see his left side. so i could see his port side, then he turned to port.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:46   #87

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
hi cappy,
the IO was not pushing, lol, that was my dingy for the day. i had to shuttle people back and forth from the dock in albany to the yacht, the dingy we have now will not cut it for people transport. so i towed up my bayliner. i did not look at the name of the tug. tug boat names sound quite strange to me. He was side lashed also, about 7AM in coeymans, on july 4th, just before the break wall at high tide. i am guessing you might know who he was with this information. he was towing what i believe to be an empty fuel barge. my memory tells me he may have been green and white? but i do not know for sure.

I am genuinely curious what i did wrong. as i said, i could see his entire port side, then he turned onto a collision course with me, still about 3/4 mile away. unless he wanted starboard to starboard, i cannot understand why.

EDIT: wait wait wait...
i am getting my port and starboard all messed up.
i could see his left side. so i could see his port side, then he turned to port.

A long tow or push may be required to crowd to one side of a fairway in order to make a tight turn. Under those circumstances the operator may want you to pass on the "wrong" side to prevent forcing you out of the main channel.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:03   #88

Boat: Mac 26X
I still smell a troll. Can anyone really be this dense? You got your port and starboard mixed up?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:07   #89
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
I still smell a troll. Can anyone really be this dense? You got your port and starboard mixed up?
Why do people not know what a troll is. Are you so dense?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:16   #90
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Contrary to most of my cruising bretheren. I have long advocated for mandatory "boating licences". I believe the Power Squadron 11 week course should be an absolute mandatory minimum.

Scoobert undeniably proves my point.