Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 10:10   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: i keep peeving tugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i took a boaters safety course, 6 years ago.
they didnt mention sound signals.
i guess having a radio would have been a moot point, even on the powerboat i ran channel 16. now i have to monitor two channels?
If you're operating in a channel with frequent heavy tonnage commercial traffic, it's prudent to monitor 13. If they can't reach you on 13 they will flip to 16, in most cases.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
You need to educate yourself not only about the COLREGS but about safe practices in general. Your last comment leads me to believe that you don't understand "the rule of tonnage". You won't find it in the regs but it's the most important rule there is when operating in a busy channel. If they are considerably bigger than you and limited in ability to maneuver, get the *#&$ out of the way.
If he's not able to spot a tow vessel and its barge he might not even know where "out of the way" is, or which way to turn, etc.

To the original poster, before I got my USCG master's license I had a general idea on navigation rules from my experience, but a formal class setting for several weeks is what really concreted a lot of it into my head and gave me the space to understand the rules and not just blindly accept them.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:13   #18
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
If he's not able to spot a tow vessel and its barge he might not even know where "out of the way" is, or which way to turn, etc.

To the original poster, before I got my USCG master's license I had a general idea on navigation rules from my experience, but a formal class setting for several weeks is what really concreted a lot of it into my head and gave me the space to understand the rules and not just blindly accept them.
wow, several weeks? i might as well pursue my 200ton in that case, right?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:21   #19

Quote:
wow, several weeks? i might as well pursue my 200ton in that case, right?
The masters courses are worth it, if you're really up for it. You'll learn a ton and there's nothing wrong with being a lot smarter on the water even if you don't get the license and then it's not like you need to work with it.

This is where I did my class in San Diego, my 100 ton:

Commercial / Merchant Mariner Courses

But for $150 you can just do the COLREGS section:

Recreational Mariner Courses

If I can remember I think the master's license is basically 1/4 colregs, 1/4 charting, 1/4 general deck level knowledge, and 1/4 paperwork knowledge.

The charting and rules are worth it to most everyone I think, but the paperwork (CFR's, licensing stuff, MARPOL) and bulk memorization of deck knowledge might not be what your after.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:21   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
now i have to monitor two channels?
Two channels is easy; consult the Owners Manual for your VHF. If the PO didn't leave you the Owners Manual, you can probably download it online. If you can't do that, tell us the make and model and I'm sure someone can tell you how to set it to dual-scan.

No excuses, dude. It's not that hard to do things right.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:24   #21

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Rebel Heart, I once assisted a sailboater in my yacht club, a guy who'd retired from the Navy as the skipper of a destroyer, to take his boat north. As we entered Santa Barbara Harbor, I pointed out the marine dredge on the port side of the boat, showing its day signals for safe passage. I told him we were in the danger zone (I, too, have held a Masters for a few decades). He said we were on the safe side of the channel. I reminded him I had previously worked on a dredge. He told me I was wrong. Ten seconds later, the dredge started making a lot of noise, a workboat started speeding out to us at flank speed, then, twenty feet ahead of us, a six foot diameter dredging pipe burst to the surface. and we made an emergency turn and followed the day signals for the correct side to pass the dredge. I suspect Scoobert is still on the learning curve as to his responsibilities as a skipper. Hopefully he, any potential crew members on his, or any nearby vessels, will benefit from expanding his awareness in future travels on our waterways.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Exactly which whistle signals did you receive? One short, two short or five or more short?

I use whistle signals occasionally with yachties. Some understand the meaning and others think I am angry at them, which bolsters the argument for passing an exam to operate a boat. Exams are not perfect for weeding out the incompetents but better something than nothing and right now we have nothing. Yacht skippers should at least be required to know the very basics. It's a frightening thought that someone with no knowledge of boats can skipper a non-commercial boat of any size with any amount of people onboard.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45   #23

Boat: Skookum 53'

Dual scan 16&13, an exchange of 1 short whistle means a port to port passage. 2 short whistles is Starboard to starboard. If you do not sound the same signal then there is no agreement and you have to start over. Unless you are accomplished at moving around the big dogs, it is best to use the radio and remove all doubts. No matter what vessel I am on, I monitor 16&13 even though I rarely speak on the radio, unless needs be. On the radio if they say they will see you on the 1 whistle side, that means port to port etc... if you have any doubt about intentions please call back for clarification.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:46   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Exactly which whistle signals did you receive? One short, two short or five or more short?
it was only a few yesterday. honestly i did not count, i feel like about 3?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:48   #25

Quote:

Would have meant he was backing out
Old 05-07-2013, 10:49   #26

Quote:
Doubtful they threw their engines into reverse (3 short blasts). I'm assuming five, which is the danger signal.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaBoatDriver View Post
Would have meant he was backing out
he was coming down the channel for at least 2 miles before he got close to me.

2 weeks ago the tug did about 20 in a row without stopping.
2 weeks ago he was stopped, in the channel, and i passed on his port side. after i passed him i saw a tug, pulling a barge, the other way then he quickly accelerated up my starboard side. i guess he was waiting for the other tug, and expected me to wait as well.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:56   #28

Quote:

he was coming down the channel for at least 2 miles before he got close to me.

2 weeks ago the tug did about 20 in a row without stopping.
2 weeks ago he was stopped, in the channel, and i passed on his left side. after i passed him i saw a tug, pulling a barge, the other way then he quickly accelerated up my right side. i guess he was waiting for the other tug, and expected me to wait as well.
Probably was waiting and yes he probably didn't want to get behind a sailing vessel that wasn't on the radio with no means of communication making it impossible for him to overtake.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:59   #29

Boat: Skookum 53'

scoobert, it sounds like you could use some more illumination. Do take a course about rules of the road, and take an afternoon and go down to the water way and watch how the different commercial vessels move around, it will become fairly clear, you may also recognize a pattern of movement in your area and if you can get into step with that your stress level will subside.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:02   #30
cruiser

could it have been two, and wanting me to pass on his starboard?
Closed Thread