Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2013, 11:10   #1

I am new to sea travel and have a few questions.

As the title states, I am new to sea travel, and read a thread about a boat being impounded in Mexico for not having a zarpe, and not having US permission to leave?

So when a private boat owner wants to leave into international waters, what are the steps from the beginning to setting sail?

Can DHS say you cant leave?
Do board your vessel prior to departing?
Does one have to sign in at a harbor office or something in this nature?

When coming into foreign territory, what are the steps? Radio in Im sure but as you begin to port, do you have to go to their port authority for inspection?
Where do you get your passport stamped?

These are just a few I have. I would like to have a better understanding on my rights at sea and what they entail.

Thanks for your help viewers!!
dogg_town414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:21   #2

Re: I am new to sea travel and have a few questions.

Can DHS say you cant leave?

Sure, they can revoke your passport (late on child support, etc). The USCG can declare your passage manifestly unsafe and order you off the boat. But there's a 99.9% chance you can just sail away without doing anything. Have current passports and check the requirements of the country you're entering into. DHS doesn't really care about you leaving, it's the arrival country's rules you need to follow.

Do board your vessel prior to departing?

Probably not, but in the case of leaving from the US to Mexico you can be boarded by both Coast Guards or Navies for any reason they see fit. Less than 1% chance and even then it will be a routine safety inspection.

If you want a US Zarpe (clearance leaving the US) you get it at Customs at your port of departure. For the story you've heard about an impounded boat in Mexico there are hundreds (thousands?) of boats every year heading into Mexico without zarpes and without problems. Mexico is nothing if not fragmented and lacking in common applicability of the law.

When coming into foreign territory, what are the steps? Radio in Im sure but as you begin to port, do you have to go to their port authority for inspection?
Where do you get your passport stamped?

Totally variable. Go to Noonsite.com — Noonsite for a complete and current set of rules broken down by country. Clearing into Mexico is different than French Polynesia which is which different than France which is different than Brazil. Each country has their own rules, requirements, and fees. Some things like current passports sort of go without saying.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:47   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

If you want a US Zarpe (clearance leaving the US) you get it at Customs at your port of departure. For the story you've heard about an impounded boat in Mexico there are hundreds (thousands?) of boats every year heading into Mexico without zarpes and without problems. Mexico is nothing if not fragmented and lacking in common applicability of the law.
I do not think you should interpret this as not needing a zarpe to go to Mexico. If people choose to go to Mexico without the necessary published paperwork, then they can't whine about it when their boat is impounded. No doubt another member of the "it's not my fault" generation.

The best advice is find out what is required and do it. Let the officials impound the next boat behind you coming in.

I have found noonsite.com as the best source but I always verify the information with the country's immigration website.
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 12:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
I do not think you should interpret this as not needing a zarpe to go to Mexico. If people choose to go to Mexico without the necessary published paperwork, then they can't whine about it when their boat is impounded. No doubt another member of the "it's not my fault" generation. The best advice is find out what is required and do it. Let the officials impound the next boat behind you coming in. I have found noonsite.com as the best source but I always verify the information with the country's immigration website.
What exactly is the "it's not my fault generation"? Are they the children of the "it's not my problem generation"? Who were the children of the "I'll do whatever the hell I please cause I lived through WWII generation?"

A little clarification please...
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 12:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
What exactly is the "it's not my fault generation"? Are they the children of the "it's not my problem generation"? Who were the children of the "I'll do whatever the hell I please cause I lived through WWII generation?"

A little clarification please...

I thought it was very simplistic and self explanatory. There is a generation of people who possess a trait to not take ownership of their mistakes. When bad stuff happens to them, they blame other people. The couple in question that had their boat impounded did not follow the rules and got caught.

Touch a nerve, did I?
Old 30-10-2013, 12:28   #6

Quote:
I thought it was very simplistic and self explanatory. There is a generation of people who possess a trait to not take ownership of their mistakes. When bad stuff happens to them, they blame other people. The couple in question that had their boat impounded did not follow the rules and got caught.

Touch a nerve, did I?
85 posts on here and you're trolling members and insulting people.
Old 30-10-2013, 12:33   #7

Quote:
I thought it was very simplistic and self explanatory. There is a generation of people who possess a trait to not take ownership of their mistakes. When bad stuff happens to them, they blame other people. The couple in question that had their boat impounded did not follow the rules and got caught. Touch a nerve, did I?
A nerve? Hardly.

Although I'm pretty sure you made this generation up, my question as to clarification is to the age ranges you set for this little generation.

Ignorance as bliss and not owning to ones own mistakes are not generational specific (at least that's what history teaches us. Well, those that read it).

The fact that someone would lump millions of people into one category that the person happily portrays beneath him is only one thing; bigotry. I guess you could also use arrogance.

For me, if I were to lump people by age into a "generation" of self-serving take no ownership in their mistakes, I would peg the 50-80 group. But I know that's not the case for all of them. Only 98%. Which is why I wouldn't troll the Internet and spew that kind of dribble.

Every person is different, hence why I asked for clarification.
Old 30-10-2013, 13:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
A nerve? Hardly.

Although I'm pretty sure you made this generation up, my question as to clarification is to the age ranges you set for this little generation.

Ignorance as bliss and not owning to ones own mistakes are not generational specific (at least that's what history teaches us. Well, those that read it).

The fact that someone would lump millions of people into one category that the person happily portrays beneath him is only one thing; bigotry. I guess you could also use arrogance.

For me, if I were to lump people by age into a "generation" of self-serving take no ownership in their mistakes, I would peg the 50-80 group. But I know that's not the case for all of them. Only 98%. Which is why I wouldn't troll the Internet and spew that kind of dribble.

Every person is different, hence why I asked for clarification.
I realize when someone cannot make a point in an intelligent intellectual fashion, they start becoming loud or name calling. For this reason I will not take offence to your bullying insinuation of bigotry or arrogance. But instead, I will recognize your inability to form a coherent position on the subject matter.

Alas, I will not take credit for making up the phase "it's not my fault" generation. The term has been around for at least 5 years that I am aware of. Craig Harper, a top selling Australian author even posted on his blog about it.

The word generation, while in its normal context (in America) can refer to a group of people by age group. In addition however, according to the Oxford English Dictionary the word generation can refer to a specific group of people within a specific category of like traits.

I have learned a very valuable lesson from you, sir. When a person asks for clarification, I need to be aware when I do clarify, should they not understand the explanation, they may attack my personal character.
Perhaps in the future you could save us all a few internet bytes and just go to Google.
Old 30-10-2013, 14:02   #9

Quote:
85 posts on here and you're trolling members and insulting people.

No insult was intended or in my opinion implied on my part. If my communication was interrupted as such, then I am truly sorry.

Why would you target my number of postings? Since when did a person’s number of postings undermine their ability to communicate on a subject matter with intelligence?
Old 30-10-2013, 14:07   #10

I found this link to be very helpful in this discussion:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ignore&u=50070
Old 30-10-2013, 14:08   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as a us citizen cruising asailboat, entering ensenada in the last regime, not current one, i needed only my fuel receipt from san diego in ensenada to show. the capt of port asked me from where i departed and how long i expected to stay in mexico. i said i was only going to be 4 days so he gave me 6 months, and all was perfect.
i have yet to hear of anyone losing their boat for wont of zarpe.
drugs and guns, yes. zarpe, no.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 14:13   #12

Quote:
I found this link to be very helpful in this discussion: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ignore&u=50070
Thanks Rebel Always the voice of reason.
Old 30-10-2013, 14:17   #13

Quote:
I found this link to be very helpful in this discussion:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ignore&u=50070

Oh, now I understand. When another person on this site has a difference of opinion or you can not understand their viewpoint you just simply resort to name calling.
Old 30-10-2013, 14:35   #14

Boat: Outremer 50S

Or back to the OP's question -

You can get US Customs and Border Patrol to stamp a form 1300 for you:

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_1300.pdf

That's the official method, fill it out, print it, take it to a Customs office, hope you find someone nice that understands (since it is rarely done). That gives you an official clearance from the US. I'd say that 99% (99.9?) of boaters headed to Mexico don't bother (I never have) but when headed to other places it is far more likely (and I have done).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 15:57   #15

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Dogg Town,

Don't leave. It is seldom this bad this soon.

For my generation any way.