Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 15:55   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 449
How to warn some other boat?

How to warn some other boat that it is getting into trouble?

For example, the other boat is speeding mindlessly on the wrong side of a channel marker toward a rocky shoal?

Waving hands and yelling does not work, VHF radio does not work, and only option is the horn signal or some pyrotechnics ... is 5 SHORT inappropriate, or too much?
__________________

__________________
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:15   #2
Registered User
 
stillbuilding's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Posts: 961
Assuming that you do not have a 'U' or 'K' flag to fly, and assuming the object skipper would not understand their meaning anyway, I would guess 5 short blasts would be most appropriate. Repeat until noted.
__________________

__________________
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:26   #3
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Re: How to warn some other boat?

There is a colgregs signal of 5 shorts blasts which means "I am unaware of your intentions." Its really designed for when two boats meet. However, any commercial or well trained skipper would know it. Whether or not he knows you are talking about him would be the questionable part. However, at the very least it would attract his attention.
__________________
Cheers
Oz
...............
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:38   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: How to warn some other boat?

With 5 horn blasts, he my or not know whats going on ! but at least he might try to find out what ya want! but if hes dumb enough to be doing what he's doing, he will mostly just wave and smile !! LOL
__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 16:50   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: How to warn some other boat?

usually dont those in the fast boat's situation deny the fact they are in trouble and continue on anyway....is a male stubbornness thing,, i think....come on guys, you dont even ask directions when yer lost...why would yáll even think the horn was for your actions....has gotta be for someone else....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 17:05   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: How to warn some other boat?

many times in coral anchorages i have hopped in my rib and led vessels in through tricky enterances when they start wavering or circuling out side.

quite a few times in disasterous parking attempts i have ended up hopping on the boat and parking it for them!

many times times we have ended up towing boats off the bricks after standing on the bow and signaling.

rule no1 when signaling is to make eye contact so the person knows you are trying to tell them something.

rule no 2 is to make clear and consise signals using both arms to point.

genarally shouting is a waste of time untill very close due to wind or engine noise.
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 17:14   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
David M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: research vessel
Posts: 10,152
Re: How to warn some other boat?

5 short might work. It would be appropriate since it means "What are your intentions?"
__________________
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 17:24   #8
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 59
Re: How to warn some other boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post

How to warn some other boat....

....the other boat is speeding mindlessly on the wrong side of a channel marker toward a rocky shoal?


why bother, just bring popcorn, coke and enjoy yourself...



__________________
transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 17:42   #9
Registered User
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA, boat: Deale, MD
Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Posts: 1,409
Re: How to warn some other boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
usually dont those in the fast boat's situation deny the fact they are in trouble and continue on anyway....is a male stubbornness thing,, i think....come on guys, you dont even ask directions when yer lost...why would yáll even think the horn was for your actions....has gotta be for someone else....
That's why some of us have GPS that tells us where to go.
__________________
Daniel - Rhapsody Blog,
“A sailor’s joys are as simple as a child’s.” — Bernard Moitessier
"I don't need therapy, I just need my boat"
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:02   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 449
Re: How to warn some other boat?

Thank you all for the confirmation and comments.

The marked and visible part of the shoal in question is not only in the middle of what looks like perfect deep water but its underwater part (shelf) extends to one shore. Every season there is a bad grounding there, and we see number of power boats cutting thru that area. The jet boats are ususally lucky ... the I/Os are usually not.

The 5 SHORT blasts and eye contact with both arms pointing in the right direction ... from now on.

I wonder if we also should carry a sign on the boat with explicit "YOU" wording ...
__________________
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:15   #11
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: How to warn some other boat?

For a significant number of boaters, especially powerboaters, everything they learned about boating came from their experience driving a car. They will have no idea that nautical whistle signals amount to anything other than what a taxi driver means when he honks his horn.

Best bet would probably be a hail on VHF 16.

I was once passed by a 50'ish ChrisCraft Connie that was towing his tender upside down. I tried to raise him on the radio, and when that didn't work, gave a blast on the whistle. He circled back around, flipped me off, and then powered into the sunset, the tender still upside down.
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:24   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Re: How to warn some other boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
many times in coral anchorages i have hopped in my rib and led vessels in through tricky enterances when they start wavering or circuling out side.

quite a few times in disasterous parking attempts i have ended up hopping on the boat and parking it for them!

many times times we have ended up towing boats off the bricks after standing on the bow and signaling.

rule no1 when signaling is to make eye contact so the person knows you are trying to tell them something.

rule no 2 is to make clear and consise signals using both arms to point.

genarally shouting is a waste of time untill very close due to wind or engine noise.
Nice post, love you good samaritans
Hope you are around when we need a little help.
E
__________________
Mrs. Rain Dog~Ocean Girl
https://raindogps34.wordpress.com
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:30   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 151
Re: How to warn some other boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
There is a colgregs signal of 5 shorts blasts which means "I am unaware of your intentions." Its really designed for when two boats meet. However, any commercial or well trained skipper would know it. Whether or not he knows you are talking about him would be the questionable part. However, at the very least it would attract his attention.
It appears that for commercial shipping either eight or nine blasts of the horn is the proper number -- or maybe not!


Bulk Carrier Runs Over Cargo Ship in
Singapore Straits
__________________
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:39   #14
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: How to warn some other boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
How to warn some other boat that it is getting into trouble?

For example, the other boat is speeding mindlessly on the wrong side of a channel marker toward a rocky shoal?

Waving hands and yelling does not work, VHF radio does not work, and only option is the horn signal or some pyrotechnics ... is 5 SHORT inappropriate, or too much?
5 short.

Jump to camera and switch from pic to movie mode.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:59   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: How to warn some other boat?

A nice 1,000,000 candle power beam/light would get their attention, then some horning with some arm signaling is about the best bet IMO.

But if all else fails, just kick back and enjoy the show...


.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120speed-med.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	56279  
__________________

__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.