Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 11:10   #61

Re: How to warn some other boat?

hellosailor,
I was responding to "the country where "cruisers" do not have to have even basic licence/certificate of competency" claim ... so this was the context to my reply. Nothing more ...

In Ontario, since it was more recent for me, no matter where or how you take the course, the exam is administered by the Province.

The Provincial guidelines for competency exam mention some basic code flags for danger and even a Morse code for SOS (to be used at night using flashlight). But ... let's be honest ... both, code flags and Morse code, are not the mainstream modes of maritime communication anymore.

The five short blasts is probably the most practical and best recognized signal for danger in "the countries" where I boat. Thanks to all who validated that for me.
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:22   #62
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
In post 42 I gave boththe Flag (Uniform) and the horn signal dot dot dash.
My bad; sorry I missed it. Spent the weekend sailing, and tried to catch up too fast this morning.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:00   #63

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
Zee you are absolutely right about men not asking for directions, however if old Chris had asked for directions, the new world may not have been found and things would be much more crowded for boating in Europe.
Capt. Ron: "If we get lost, we'll just pull over and ask for directions"
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:06   #64

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
... But ... let's be honest ... both, code flags and Morse code, are not the mainstream modes of maritime communication anymore.

The five short blasts is probably the most practical and best recognized signal for danger in "the countries" where I boat. ...
We think alike.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 18:11   #65

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
I

Hey, it's a good "motivational" poster with a pragmatic message.
How 'bout this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	demotivators_1871_150513 (2).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	56707  
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 18:28   #66

Good one ... could be updated with this more current and famous image.

Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 18:30   #67

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

But maybe the apparently clueless boaters are entering hazardous waters on purpose, as spiritual descendants of Admiral John Paul Jones,
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Old 11-03-2013, 18:48   #68

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I can't resist to mention my story when I pulled my boat right next to the rocks near a dock, and with 18in draft it looks right ON the rocks, and the portmaster came running
out to help me, I said thanks, but "I'm executing a highly unusual maneuver".
Oh the police came too, thinking I was scuttling the boat (right next to the dock, in broad daylight..)

What was I doing? chopping down the timber mast and needed it to fall onto the rocks so I could cut it into pieces to put into the dumpster.

JackB
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 19:01   #69
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Any number of times, while vamping at the end of a pier awaiting a transient slip assignment I've been called on the VHF by a local saying something to the effect of "cat, watch the shoal to your west." I always apriciate that and reply "thanks, got it."

Though I'm not always on 16--the summer chatter can get awfully tiresome--I will be in any crowded or unfamiliar situation.
Old 11-03-2013, 20:24   #70
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
five short blasts means "DANGER!"
We understood five short blasts means 'I don't understand your intentions', although it can and should be used where the danger is approaching collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
In post 42 I gave boththe Flag (Uniform) and the horn signal dot dot dash.\
We understood the signal for other 'Danger' is Morse D...long-short-short; this is also widely used in restricted visibilty by sailing vessels >12m; vessels not under command; vessels with restricted manoeuvreability; vessels at anchor and so on.

We certainly agree that knowledge of marine sound signals (or day signals...or lights!) is a scarce commodity amoungst the general boating community. On the other hand, if someone's horn is blasting away common sense suggests paying attention...but then as they say, common sense is not all that common...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 20:50   #71
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
We understood five short blasts means 'I don't understand your intentions', although it can and should be used where the danger is approaching collision.
Correct. Here's from COLREGS Rule 34: (d) When vessels in sight of one another are approaching each other and from any cause either vessel fails to understand the intentions or actions of the other, or is in doubt whether sufficient action is being taken by the other to avoid collision, the vessel in doubt shall immediately indicate such doubt by giving at least five short and rapid blasts on the whistle. .
Old 11-03-2013, 21:41   #72

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
There's also this rule: Rule 36

Signals to attract attention

If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel any vessel may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal authorised elsewhere in these Rules, or may direct the beam of her searchlight in the direction of the danger, in such a way as not to embarrass any vessel. Any light to attract the attention of another vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:42   #73

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post

We understood the signal for other 'Danger' is Morse D...long-short-short; this is also widely used in restricted visibilty by sailing vessels >12m; vessels not under command; vessels with restricted manoeuvreability; vessels at anchor and so on.

We certainly agree that knowledge of marine sound signals (or day signals...or lights!) is a scarce commodity amoungst the general boating community. On the other hand, if someone's horn is blasting away common sense suggests paying attention...but then as they say, common sense is not all that common...
The internationally recognized symbol for "You are standing into danger" is either the U (uniform) flag or the morse signal for the letter "U" - dot-dot-dash

The Flag "D" (Delta) does not mean "danger". It means, "stand clear of me I'm having difficulty maneuvering"

Readers here should be aware that there are small differences between "American Morse" and "ITU morse" mainly in the numbers section

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:05   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

The collision regulations have the right response for this conundrum. International Code U - you are standing into danger, simple morse signal too, . . _ Too bad if the idiot doesn't understand.

Just get ready to claim salvage...
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:37   #75

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Funny. You should check a flag chart and scope out the Delta flag. It's impossible to invert.

I prefer flying my Cruisers Forum burgee. Charlie Foxtrot. Look that one up.
Ahem, some cruisers DO tow there tenders upside down as a matter of choice!

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote