Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 14:28   #16

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: How Long to Get Certificate of Documentation

The USCG has been chronically underfunded the last many years. They have to decide where best to spend what money they have. Would you rather have them out on the water or pushing paper faster in an office? Despite many opinions to the contrary, just because it is a government process it is not inherently broken.

Last year I sent my application in in May and got the docs in September. It was longer than I expected but the documentation people I used said that was about what they had been seeing. The USCG has to do a title/lien search and I am sure that is pretty hard since they would have to search though a lot of databases to get that info. They are issuing you a "title" to your boat.

The few times I have contacted the USCG documentation center they have been extraordinarily courteous, helpful, and thorough. But, finding your way around other US agency websites is almost impossible sometimes, especially the ones for the FCC (ship station license et al).
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men