Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 16:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There is no time required to be out of the EU, A day should be enough, but again the directive allows local Customs to control TI procedures and they can vary what they accept. Since spain has a "thing" about GIB, some spainish customs will not accept being in GIB.

Its also worth noting that while GIB is outside teh VAT area its not outside the "Customs Union of the EU". So there is some argument. By the Ceuta across the strait is a free port and is outside the EU

No there is not. EU citizens are free to live and work in any EU country without hindrence. However they must pay local taxes like the locals. You cant be a sponger.

Not True....
Thats why I had to get residency.... to get a job I needed..no residency no job.... and you cannot sponge ... regardless of the BS you hear.... try walking into a Portuguese dole office and applying for a hand out... they'll disappear behind the desk laughing.... this is not the UK.
You think its different come and try.....
In Spain I worked for a UK company so did not need residency but I did need to apply for a Spanish Marineros Blue Book (Patron de Barco)to meet the legal requirements... this involved my papers/passport being sent away to make sure I was suitably qualified for the job... Spanish taxes were paid...
don't believe all you hear in the UK.... we're the only 'Idiots' who go
by the book.... why dya think everyone heads there...
To get residency is a bit like the Channel Islands... you have to produce evidence that you have adequate funds to support you ..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 11:34   #17

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage
I think as long as you stay in Italian waters, you will find they will accept what ever documentation you have. I have been told that all they want is to know is when you entered the country. If you have been to a non EU country and return to Italy, when you arrive in Italy check in and show some reciepts from the non-EU country and they don't go any further than that. Italy is in may ways less centralized than the US. There is a lot of reginal independence. To me, I think every unit of Government likes to rather arrogantly thumb their noses at the central government and it likes doing that to the EU(politely of course). I sort of gather the local govenment does not get anything out of collecting the tax. Now when you sell the boat, the next guy will probably get caught for the VAT so it looks like you might get your money back then.

But Tunisa is a delightful place to spend a year or so - so I would be temped to play it safe and stay there 18 months.

Sure is a bit scary isn't it. I also gather there are no fines. Sort of pay it now or later or maybe not at all. My Marina Operator really went all out talking to customes etc a couple of years ago for me. So far no questions- but it was desirable for me to be out of the EU for well over 18 months.

Good luck. Cheers. Page
jannpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 11:55   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannpage View Post
But Tunisa is a delightful place to spend a year or so - so I would be temped to play it safe and stay there 18 months.
Tunisia is having a revolution. Get out and stay out would be the advice till it settles down

tunisia - Google News

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 12:02   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hey... Guy's...... don't wanna spoil your fun but the OP was last year.... and the last post April 2010.. so they've been and gone

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote