Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 12:15   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,055
Re: Holding Tanks

Somewhere in those 200-odd pages (the Clean Waters Act being more easily found under the name 33 USC 1311) I saw a reference to vessels built after 1985 but I'm damned if I'm going to read 200 pages to find out whether a potty is legal.

I think a good topologist could make the point that a boat is similar to a torus, and that a hole in a boat is equal to the hole in a donut, so that whatever is ejected through the hole, wasn't ejected FROM the donut. or boat. Topologists are good at that stuff, they make politicians seem like amateurs.

What's a torus with multiple holes called, anyhow??


John-
After the gungo-ho zero tolerance USCG Commandant from the 80's got replaced...I think it was in the 90's tht the USCG finally got tired of being slapped by Congressmen with po'd donors, ergh, constituents, and the new boss went on record to say the USCG now accepted the fact that "secured" meant what Congress thought it meant, i.e. SECURED. If you can't access it, can't use it, can't reach it, it is SECURED. And they specifically acknowledged that zipties, locked doors, and similar (duh!) ways of ensuring the head couldn't flush overboard, were "SECURED".
Whatever it was, however it was...and since that was pre-internet you'd probably have to serve a FOIA request on the USCG to get the real paperwork...the USCG has long accepted that secured means secured. A local bubba might choose to argue differently, but that's only because he's looking to write paper and he figures you won't appeal or prosecute, you'll just pay up and move on.

You'd probably find something in the back issues of the boating mags as well, since it was big news a tthe time--both that the USCG could be so intentionally obtuse, and then again, that they finally could see the light. I suspect some from Congress had a quiet conversation and said "What part of 'we're gonna cancel your budget, all of it?' don't you understand, Commandant?" and got that one nailed down.

I wonder, if I post my MARPOL and oil discharge placards in Mandarin or Babylonian, would that still be sufficient?
__________________

__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:06   #17
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Holding Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
We have significant problems with bacterial blooms here in Tampa Bay a couple of times a year, and discharge from boats is unquestionably a contributing factor. So it is not ONLY inside marinas!
Again...Where are the facts? Id discharge from boats causing these blooms? A test was done to confirm it was human waste? That is was human waste from boats?
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:32   #18
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Key West FL - Burlington VT
Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Posts: 493
Re: Holding Tanks

It's not human waste, it's the fertelizer run off from farms and the fancy lawns being watered by illegal aliens, who then run 2 stroke leaf bowers for several hours a day, just blowing grass clippings from one mcmansion to the next. Get your facts straight!!
__________________
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:34   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,055
Re: Holding Tanks

There you go, letting facts get in the way of a perfectly good witchhunt. That's just not the way things are done in the colonies.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 15:26   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,594
Re: Holding Tanks

Are you serious??????????????????????????????????????????? ??

Do you ever plan to come within 3 miles of the coast of anywhere but third world countries?

Do you like seeing turds around your boat???? Me either ...
__________________
Randy

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 16:29   #21
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Holding Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
It's not human waste, it's the fertelizer run off from farms and the fancy lawns being watered by illegal aliens, who then run 2 stroke leaf bowers for several hours a day, just blowing grass clippings from one mcmansion to the next. Get your facts straight!!
May I see your study please. be sure to include 1) Type of Algae. 2)Type of Fecal cloriform matter, Enterococcus bacteria and a parts per million concentration. While you're at it please document that "illegal Aliens with leaf blowers are blowing grass clippings from McMansions". I'm sure you have filmed this, asked for green cards and taken samples from the water immediately after an incident.
After all...like you say, I should get my facts straight. I'm sure once you have shown us your data, we'll certainly have a better understanding of the facts.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 16:36   #22
Registered User
 
ReMetau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: Hans Christian 33
Posts: 648
Re: Holding Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
May I see your study please. be sure to include 1) Type of Algae. 2)Type of Fecal cloriform matter, Enterococcus bacteria and a parts per million concentration. While you're at it please document that "illegal Aliens with leaf blowers are blowing grass clippings from McMansions". I'm sure you have filmed this, asked for green cards and taken samples from the water immediately after an incident.
After all...like you say, I should get my facts straight. I'm sure once you have shown us your data, we'll certainly have a better understanding of the facts.

This goes both ways. Please provide data that proves that boaters are responsible for these allege blooms. I personally think that it is leakage from city water treatment facilities and yard runoff of fertilizers

I do use a holding tank until I can figure out a way to deal with composting toilet, but blaming boaters on large algae blooms seems implausible to me.
__________________
Don & Diana
s/v ReMetau - a Hans Christian 33
http://www.remetau.com
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 16:37   #23
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Key West FL - Burlington VT
Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Posts: 493
Re: Holding Tanks

I'm not saying you don't have all sorts of turds down there. But the alge blooms are every where and the turds play a very little part. Also fence off mexico and make 4 stroke leaf blowers.
__________________
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 17:08   #24
sitting on the dock of the bay

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,513
Images: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Holding Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The craze for no discharge areas is just a bunch politicians trying to get their names in the news so they can justify their salaries.
good one. if we would take a closer look at what happens when shore side spills happen .. we might understand the difference between a million gallons of raw sewage and what might be pumped out of a small boat
__________________
sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 17:14   #25
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Holding Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
This goes both ways. Please provide data that proves that boaters are responsible for these allege blooms. I personally think that it is leakage from city water treatment facilities and yard runoff of fertilizers

I do use a holding tank until I can figure out a way to deal with composting toilet, but blaming boaters on large algae blooms seems implausible to me.
I use a holding tank also and I totally agree with all of us doing our part. I was not advocating running the head, full throttle, into the water ways. My statement was in response to the "blame-throwers" around here. Facts are based on a data. I'm willing to go with something that is substantiated. Not random allocations on personal beliefs. Although I believe a mono is better than a cat...just kidding!
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.