Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 09:28   #1

Boat: None
Help with Certificate of Importation (USA Specific)

I have a broker demanding a Certificate of Importation for a listed boat. This is a boat that was imported to the USA in 1996 and has been continuously USCG documented since. The original form (the 1996 equivalent of CBP Form 7501) has of course been lost for years and over several owners.

This is the first time the issue has arisen, and I have bought and sold two yachts; and had contracts on at least three others (all subsequent to 9/11/2001). Seems like it should be a non-issue, given the official documentation. But it's not, at least for this broker.

Does anyone know where to start in calling government offices in search of a copy of the import certificate?
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:03   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Help with Certificate of Importation (USA Specific)

Customs calls it an "Entry Summary" and it appears the current form 7501 was not adopted until 2009, no idea if form number was same or different in '96. Customs and Border Enforcement seems to be the place to start.
https://www.cbp.gov/contact
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:20   #3

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Easy; find another broker.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:57   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I think the CG should have a record. I have found them very helpful and reachable.

And, try another broker. If it’s important, the broker should be able to find this, if it ever existed.

We are a Camper & Nicholson, 1984, documented. English made, 1984. No such paper in our records and the two POs kept everything.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 20:49   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Easy; find another broker.
Might be the best course, Just talked to a friend in the business who said he's sold many such vessels and it's a non-issue once it's registered in the US.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:16   #6

Hey yes, the "find another broker" plan is underway, though aside from this silliness I do like the one we have. And thanks, Ted, for the link. I dug around and found an even more specific email address, one specic to issues with the import form. I don't expect to hear back for a week or so, of course.

Is there anyone here who has even seen this come up before?
Old 11-11-2019, 14:49   #7

I'm really hoping that someone who has had a similar experience, or who has knowledge of the subject, will see this. My apologies to those who might be annoyed by the bump.
Old 11-11-2019, 15:20   #8

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Customs calls it an "Entry Summary" and it appears the current form 7501 was not adopted until 2009, no idea if form number was same or different in '96. Customs and Border Enforcement seems to be the place to start.
https://www.cbp.gov/contact

I’m with Ted. The only CBP paper I have from importing Moonbeam was the entry summary. After 314 days or so the record was updated as having been liquidated. That means that CPB accepted the duty paid as being correct.

CBP may still have the records. It’s also possible that the importer or customs broker have the records, if you can identify them.

Good luck.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:21   #9

I thought some readers might appreciate an update. So ... I spent a great deal of time on the phone with US CBP officers in various locations. I initially called the national "help" number listed on the website. That led me down a rabbit hole leading to the port control office in Miami. The officer there told me that the Trade Department of the US CBP should be able to help out, as they handle importation. He gave me the public number and I called.

They were amused. Or maybe bemused. They also have the final say:

If the boat is USCG documented, it is a US boat and importation is no longer a meaningful topic of conversation; and no customs agent will ever suggest otherwise.

Now if I can only convince the broker...

Tags
import