Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37   #1

Help me understand where I can anchor in SF Bay (map included)

I'm new to this and am looking for a place to anchor in SF Bay, maybe for up to a few months. I don't even own a boat yet, I'm just trying to understand logistics. Looking at the following map:

Chart 18649

Would I be allowed to anchor at around the position below? It seems to be out of the way of commercial lanes, and it doesn't appear to have any anchor restrictions.

37° 47' 29.6" N
122° 23' 17.8" W

This is in between the Bay Bridge and the BART tunnel. You can look it up by typing the coordinates into the link below:

Google Earth Online

I understand I need a permit to do so? With whom? How do I know where I'm allowed to anchor with my permit?

Lastly, and this is a dumb question, what are the regulations about tying my dinghy up when I go ashore? Would I need to go down to the marina near Pier 42 (near the ballpark), or would I be allowed to tie it up somewhere near Rincon Park?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Telefonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:07   #2

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Question Re: Help me understand where I can anchor in SF Bay (map included)

I also would like answers to these questions,,i plan on being in SF Bay in June.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefonica View Post
I'm new to this and am looking for a place to anchor in SF Bay, maybe for up to a few months. I don't even own a boat yet, I'm just trying to understand logistics. Looking at the following map:

Chart 18649

Would I be allowed to anchor at around the position below? It seems to be out of the way of commercial lanes, and it doesn't appear to have any anchor restrictions.

37° 47' 29.6" N
122° 23' 17.8" W

This is in between the Bay Bridge and the BART tunnel. You can look it up by typing the coordinates into the link below:

Google Earth Online

I understand I need a permit to do so? With whom? How do I know where I'm allowed to anchor with my permit?

Lastly, and this is a dumb question, what are the regulations about tying my dinghy up when I go ashore? Would I need to go down to the marina near Pier 42 (near the ballpark), or would I be allowed to tie it up somewhere near Rincon Park?

Thanks in advance for any help!

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 13:57   #3

Re: Help me understand where I can anchor in SF Bay (map included)

I've ridden my bike by this spot twice a day every weekday since January 3rd of this year. Beautiful view, especially at 6:30 am. For what it's worth, I've yet to see a boat anchored in this area or a dingy tied up to the nearby ramp. The building directly South is a fire house and the boat tied up to the dock is a fire boat. Not sure if you'd need to keep clear.
Solipsist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 14:00   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

There are no legal long-term anchorages in SF Bay. People do anchor out in various locations, but they are typically druggies, losers and other homeless types. Join them if you wish, but it is not legal.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 14:04   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
There are no legal long-term anchorages in SF Bay. People do anchor out in various locations, but they are typically druggies, losers and other homeless types. Join them if you wish, but it is not legal.
I understand that they're finally planning to move out the long-term anchor-outs in Richardson Bay prior to the America's Cup. Out go the derelicts, in come the mega-yachts.
Old 05-03-2012, 14:28   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Out go the derelicts, in come the mega-yachts.
You won't see me shedding any tears.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:08   #7

Thanks for the info.

Is it legal anywhere near by (like near Berkeley or Richmond, for example)? How do I go about finding this stuff out on my own so I don't need to keep asking on these forums?

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 16:48   #8

one can anchor in aquatic park. Not sure for how long, and I believe that you can't use a motor because of swimmers. It can have alot of surge as is true of all the anchorages and marinas along the waterfront. I have seen plenty of boat anchor along the south side of the giants ball park durig the day but I do not know the policy for overnight. There is good anchoring at Clipper Cove between treasure Island and Yerba Buena Island but there is alot of traffic noise from the Bay Bridge. I am not sure about anchoring along richmond, berkeley, or emeryville as it is shallow, and a lee shore. You might contact Latitude 38 a bay area sailing mag. They usually do a yearly piece on sailing and anchoring in the Bay. There was also a cruising guide to the Bay Area by Carol and Bob Mehaffey published a number of years ago that had all the important info in it you are looking for.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:56   #9

Great! Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy View Post
one can anchor in aquatic park. Not sure for how long, and I believe that you can't use a motor because of swimmers. It can have alot of surge as is true of all the anchorages and marinas along the waterfront. I have seen plenty of boat anchor along the south side of the giants ball park durig the day but I do not know the policy for overnight. There is good anchoring at Clipper Cove between treasure Island and Yerba Buena Island but there is alot of traffic noise from the Bay Bridge. I am not sure about anchoring along richmond, berkeley, or emeryville as it is shallow, and a lee shore. You might contact Latitude 38 a bay area sailing mag. They usually do a yearly piece on sailing and anchoring in the Bay. There was also a cruising guide to the Bay Area by Carol and Bob Mehaffey published a number of years ago that had all the important info in it you are looking for.
Old 05-03-2012, 17:20   #10

try Active Captain:

https://activecaptain.com/index.php

plenty of details as regards anchorages, regulations and restrictions
svfinnishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:24   #11

Active captain is an excellent suggestion
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:30   #12

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Angry Re: Help me understand where I can anchor in SF Bay (map included)

I'd be glad to see the derelicts go as well (navigation hazard),,but that's just the thin edge of the wedge,,,the next think you know its all mega yachts and beachfront condo owners who don't want normal people near them.
I am biased towards the blue color guy,,always will be,,,(what i truly think of yachties and rich people deleted for the sake of world peace) I say its time to fight back....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
You won't see me shedding any tears.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:30   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Boats anchor in the Alameda Estuary in a little bay just west of Coast Guard Island. The shore is pretty rocky so don't know about dinghy landings. Also don't know if these are policed at all. Always seems to be a couple of 'veteran' boats there when I pass. When I say 'Veteran', they look like viable cruising boats, nothing like the decrepit state of the typical Richardson Bay anchor out.

Richardson Bay is soon to be or already is a no discharge area. That's really no discharge of any kind. Think the yuppies and ecoNazi's got together to get the no discharge rule passed. A lot of money for West Marine and boat workers installing all those holding tanks for grey water. If there is no waterborne pump out, almost none of the anchor outs are going to be able to comply because they barely float, let alone motivate.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:32   #14

Coast Pilot #7 covers the west coast U.S. You may find some useful info in it. Free to download in .pdf format at NOAA's Office of Coastal Survey web sight.

United States Coast Pilot®
Old 05-03-2012, 17:45   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee what ever happend to all the anchorages shown on older charts ?? I have several older charts (over 20 yrs old LOL) and they show serveral anchorages around San Fran Bay both north and south bay ? I guess no one asked if they were going to take these Goverment listed places to anchor away from cruiseing sailors ??r maybe its the nazi- eco terriorists takeing them all away !! LOL I don't know where ther are now but I know where they were ! LOL Just wondering

Tags
anchor, sf bay