Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 19:15   #91

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Help Me Choose a Hailing Port

You shouldn't be taxed without representation? Good idea, but not the case. If you can win that one at the Supreme Court a lot of us will be happy. After all, many state tax systems are tailored to tax the out-of-stater disproportionately. Sort of like the small town radar traps on major roads.

AFAIK the usual wide net cast by states for boats is the concept of "primary use state". For years Washington would pounce on Oregon and Alaskan boats there for more than 60 days, and hit them with one-time use tax (equal to sales tax, about 9%), annual excise tax, plus fines. Now there is a process to pay for an extension beyond 60 days (nothing is free), but only if filed before the end of 60 days. Apparently it never occurred to them that 2 months out of 12 is nothing like primary use, but that was how it was defined. At least there is an extension now.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 19:23   #92

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
GEEZ FRICKIN LOUISE!. IS NOTHING SACRED?

Fellow boaters, I realize many of you do not know better, and worse, ya don't give a flip but there are traditions involved here.

Yeah yeah, I know new folk don't care about traditions but that is your loss kiddies, not mine. Go buy yer Hunter 27 or 43 and keep telling us how wonderful it is.

Wait! I want to include that 14 meter sloop as well for you know who I'm talking about, Commodore.

I will go to my stash tomorrow for the cite if need be lubbers, but a hailing port like Bumflick, Co is not ok.

It's been the rule for a century but I guess ya had to hear it here first, right now. That grinding you hear is me shaking my head.

Don't bother flaming me.

Read a little.
Around here...I love seeing the 45'+ sailboats with hailing ports like Nacagdoches or Lufkin or freaking Abilene. Maybe if it's a trailer boat but COME ON!

I'm with you Crabby.
Old 29-04-2014, 08:44   #93

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

It is common for the "it's Un-Constitutional" folks to get their britches in a bunch when they don't very carefully read and understand the "system." States and Fed's, etc., don't actually violate the Constitution (which by the way, is not an admissible document in any court of law except the US Supreme Court) by charging non-residents what logically appears to be "taxes."

Actually what they are charging non-residents are "user-fees." Florida is very up front about it with their boat "user fee" of 6% which just so happens to be exactly identical to the State Sales Tax. If you are a resident you pay the "Sales Tax" - if a non-resident they charge you the "User Fee" - gotcha coming or going.

It is not uncommon for low-level government employees to confuse the two since basically they give the same results - money from your pocket. And there seems to be a trend during these times of tight local and State revenue for local officials to try to "push" the limits on what they can actually charge and/or collect from you. YOU, need to be knowledgeable about the rules and laws in order to successfully thwart them.

As to the "Physical Address" as part of the Application for USCG Documentation - that was apparently changed in 2004 in response to security paranoia about who actually owns the vessel and where are they so they can be found, if needed. This was about the same time, IIRC, that the Feds attempted to ban the use of PMB's or private mail box addresses by individuals. But anyway, the controlling Fed law as to vessels is:
§ 67.113 Managing owner designation; address; requirement to report change of address. The owner of each vessel must designate a managing owner on the Application for Initial Issue, Exchange, or Replacement of Certificate of Documentation; or Redocumentation (CG-1258).
(a) The managing owner of a vessel owned by one person is the owner of the vessel.
(b) The managing owner of a vessel owned by more than one person must be one of the owners. The person designated as managing owner must have an address in the United States except where no owner of the vessel has an address in the United States.
(c) The managing owner of a vessel owned in a trust arrangement must be one of the trustees.
(d) The address of the managing owner must be as follows:
(1) For an individual, any residence of the managing owner.

(2) For a partnership, its address:
(i) In the State under whose laws it is organized; or
(ii) Of its principal place of business.
(3) For a corporation, its address:
(i) For service of process within the State of incorporation; or
(ii) Of its principal place of business.
(e) Whenever the address of the managing owner changes, the managing owner shall notify the Director, National Vessel Documentation Center within 10 days.
[CGD 89-007, CGD 89-007a, 58 FR 60266, Nov. 15, 1993; 58 FR 65131, Dec. 13, 1993, as amended by CGD 95-014, 60 FR 31604, June 15, 1995; USCG-1998-4442, 63 FR 52190, Sept. 30, 1998]

When I documented my boat you could put just about anything in the "address" box but that was many decades ago. Now you need to put down a "residence" (or resident) address where you can be legally, physically "found."If you find that intrusive of your "right to privacy" there is no "requirement" that you USCG Document your vessel. You can just as well State Register it instead. Most States are not so picky about what you put down as a State address - here in Florida folks use PMBs like Green Cove Springs, etc. Or you can document it outside the USA like the big rich boys do . . . And, iirc, a Fed law was passed several decades ago that all vessels of about 25ft or more be either USCG documented or State Titled - but not both. However, the State can require you to "register" and pay a fee for which you get a little decal to display on your USCG Documented vessel so the local LEO's can see that your vessel is registered with a State, etc., somewhere or other.But I must agree, as a seriously old-timer, that living in the USA and expecting any degree of privacy is a joke - that was given up decades ago in the paranoia about "national security" and guarding against terrorists. Since you'all collectively voted for it (the US citizens, that is) you really can't complain about it.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 15:26   #94

Boat: Finnsailor Motorsailor 35

Well said BLUE CRAB.... the only way to get rules and laws changed is to have boat associations "haunt them" constantly. There also fees and licenses charged to establish an association. Even if the overhead is an office located in some ones home.... but it's worth the fight for sure!
Cornucopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 15:57   #95

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Help me choose a hailing port

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Well, Reno is short and no danger of a nevada tax man finding you!
+1, Sara!! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 17:37   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
GEEZ FRICKIN LOUISE!. IS NOTHING SACRED?

Fellow boaters, I realize many of you do not know better, and worse, ya don't give a flip but there are traditions involved here.

Yeah yeah, I know new folk don't care about traditions but that is your loss kiddies, not mine.

I will go to my stash tomorrow for the cite if need be lubbers, but a hailing port like Bumflick, Co is not.

I agree. We had a power boat across the dock with a hailing port from Las Vegas, NV. It was for tax reasons. Guess Vegas didn't give him a big enough payoff. LOL
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 18:41   #97

Boat: 2002 catalina 390

I'm kinda liking Remote, Oregon or how about Dismal Niche, Washington
What I've found is the Coasties don't care what name is on your transom as long as it matches your documents.
mikeguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 17:56   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeguyver View Post
I'm kinda liking Remote, Oregon or how about Dismal Niche, Washington
What I've found is the Coasties don't care what name is on your transom as long as it matches your documents.
Spot on! You can have any name/port you like. It is, in fact, only a unique name and has no real meaning. You , as well, do not have to change your name or port if you move. AND if you drive your car through another state on your vacation, you don't re-register & title at every border, nor do you pay a cruising fee to drive the public roads.

The only item of importance is the name can be traced and in most states, that you paid the sales/transfer tax when you bought it and that your water use sticker is current.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 15:48   #99

Boat: working on it

I know this thread is ancient, but it's the best I can find, so, apologies in advance.

I'll soon close on a USCG-documented vessel, former owner's hailing port is Ocala Florida, but it's kept in a Daytona Beach yacht club marina. I want to change the name and hailing port, so I know I need get my bank to approve the name change and submit the appropriate form to the USCG for change of name and location.

The boat will be kept in Annapolis Maryland and is subject to a one-time Maryland 5% excise tax. I'm fine with that. But for personal reasons I would prefer to list Olympia Washington as the hailing port and identify Olympia on the stern, or possibly list both Olympia and Annapolis.

Can I legally do that, must I provide a physical address in Olympia and are there any tax implications?

Since it's documented, it doesn't require any state identification numbers, only the USCG ID number on a prominent feature in the boat. It will require a Maryland decal.
salishpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 16:05   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by salishpaddler View Post
I know this thread is ancient, but it's the best I can find, so, apologies in advance.

I'll soon close on a USCG-documented vessel, former owner's hailing port is Ocala Florida, but it's kept in a Daytona Beach yacht club marina. I want to change the name and hailing port, so I know I need get my bank to approve the name change and submit the appropriate form to the USCG for change of name and location.

The boat will be kept in Annapolis Maryland and is subject to a one-time Maryland 5% excise tax. I'm fine with that. But for personal reasons I would prefer to list Olympia Washington as the hailing port and identify Olympia on the stern, or possibly list both Olympia and Annapolis.

Can I legally do that, must I provide a physical address in Olympia and are there any tax implications?

Since it's documented, it doesn't require any state identification numbers, only the USCG ID number on a prominent feature in the boat. It will require a Maryland decal.
I think you can with a USCG document. I had mine as Skagit City, Washington on a boat that never came to Washington. ...and Skagit City hasn't existed for over 100 years!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 16:27   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I like Steamboat Springs, Co.

You can choose any name and port that pleases you. It’s only a name in the documentation.

Beware, however using California. The California tax authorities troll the USCG names for any vessel using any California location as a port and send you a tax bill. Your problem then to fix. I know of no other states that do this,
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 16:36   #102
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Ok if you want to turn heads—- Roswell, NM
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 16:47   #103

My USCG documented Jeanneau 36i's home port was Las Cruces, NM.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 17:24   #104

Like the others said. This came off the internet.

HOW DO I CHANGE THE NAME OR HAILING PORT OF MY VESSEL?
The name and/or hailing port may be changed by filing an application for change on form CG-1258 with the appropriate fees. If your vessel is subject to a mortgage of record, you must obtain permission from the mortgagee on form CG-4593.

Enjoy your new boat!!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 19:09   #105

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

You can have your hailing port as x as long as it's also x on the boat. Your mailing address is your mailing address. Actually our boat has hailing port different from stern, but stern and doc's mailing address are same for last eight years. But we only go to Canada. No questions.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote