Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2011, 18:40   #61

Boat: FP Athena 38
Re: Help me choose a hailing port

My hailing port in Bronx, NY. Thats is where I grew up. And to clear up the whole Da bronx and The Bronx in the eyes of the coast gurad it is neither. The offical city name is Bronx, NY.

We are crusing up the East coast right now. My boat will see the Bronx for the first time on June 30th.
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 19:09   #62

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Saw one boat in Trinidad those hailing port was Boise Idaho.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 07:20   #63

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Sir PLEASE as someone who lived the many years ago, but still visits... It is THE Bronx--- or in colloquial termz DA Bronx (expletives optional).....
Sorry. That does differentiate the genuine article from any old Bronx.
Old 25-06-2011, 07:38   #64

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
Sorry but you are incorrect there. If a Washington resident purchases a used boat they pay sales tax on the purchase price. Does not matter where it comes from or if it has had sales tax paid on it before.

Waving at you from across the river in Vantuckey. Home of the Portland tax evaders
Just had to go through this. In WA if you bought the boat someplace else and paid sales tax at the source, you don't owe it in WA. If you didn't, then you do. The fact that someone sometime paid tax doesn't matter.

Also, and this is surely becoming the case everything, the Coast Guard is now acting as a revenue agent for the State of WA. We're out a lot in the winter, and there is less for the Coasties to do, so we get boarded. The last time we got a ticket from the U.S. Coast Guard for failing to have our WA registration on board. You only get the WA registration by registering the boat, documented or otherwise and paying the sales tax or showing that you paid the sales tax before you moved the boat to WA from another jurisdiction.

The Coasties gave us 45 days to show evidence of registration, or pay a fine of $1,500. And the State of Washington would have been notified. Also somewhat scary is that when I went in to take care of this, err, oversight, the woman at the county desk didn't know quite how to value a boat built in 1965 by a Norwegian firm she never heard of. So she called Olympia. The guy on the other end of the line was able to bring up our vessel by documentation number and asked if we had returned from Canada on x date. In other words, he had access to what seemed to be the beginning of an integrated information system that shared data from the Coast Guard, Customs and Immigration and their own financial information. County and Port authorities are now beginning to require registration proof to use their facilities for mooring as well.

So, I am guessing that unless you can figure out how not to be boarded by the Coast Guard for a safety inspection, moor in a public facility, or cross borders, if your state wants you to pay sales tax on your vessel at some point you probably will.
Old 25-06-2011, 07:52   #65

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
. . . Also, and this is surely becoming the case everything, the Coast Guard is now acting as a revenue agent for the State of WA. . . .
The Coasties gave us 45 days to show evidence of registration, or pay a fine of $1,500. . .
Wow, that is a new one - Federal official enforcing State jurisdictional laws/regulations. Usually that is considered a conflict between Federal jurisdiction and State's Rights. But, heck, this is a new world now.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 08:02   #66

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

I did some digging and there's no way around paying the Florida 6% sales and use tax if the boat is there for more than 90 days. They will deduct the amount of sales tax paid in another juristiction. In N orth Carolina an older boat is registered as an antique and the tax is only a few dollars when registered there. Of course there's no tax per say when the documentation is exchanged and the renewals on that are without charge.
The remaining question is how would Florida determine the value of an older vessel. There's no mention of price on the bill of sale on the reverse side of the documentation certificate that can be used to exchange the documentation to a new owner and my boat never has had a title.
On the good side, in Florida if a boat is over thirty years old it can be registered as an antique and there is no charge for the base registration sticker. This is apart from the sales and use tax.
All this to come up with a salty hailing port that won't raise eyebrows and will fit on the pretty scrolled board on my stern.
Old 25-06-2011, 08:22   #67
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

have we mentioned anywhere here that the 4" regulations apply to documented vessels?

If the boat is not documented then I don't think there are any regulations pertaining to the name and port... just the 3" reg numbers on the front half, both sides....

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 08:33   #68

Mine is a documented vessel. Also, if you buy a documented vessel and plan on moving it, get the exchange of documentaion paperwork and fees mailed off to the CG as soon as possible as there is a backlog and a delay of several months before you'll have your new documentaion with your name on it in your hand.
Old 25-06-2011, 08:45   #69
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

well rats, I thought I had a work around fer ya!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 09:00   #70

Boat: PETERSON 44
Tallahassee because you can put the name and port on the sides. Does not need to be on the transom I'm pretty sure. My late boat was set this way Boston ma on the aft rail .
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 09:07   #71

The name of a commercial vessel must be on the sides of the hull and also the name and hailing port on the stern.
Old 25-06-2011, 09:18   #72

Right you are. Did not realize you were commercial. Assumed that if you have s pretty board you were recreational.
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
Top of Page
Old 25-06-2011, 09:20   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
Right you are. Did not realize you were commercial. Assumed that if you have s pretty board you were recreational.
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
Top of Page
quote from
From cg documentation center web site
Old 25-06-2011, 09:36   #74

I'm not commercial. I was just clarifying which vessels are required to have the name on the sides of the hull and that even they are required to have the name and hailing port on the stern.
Old 29-06-2011, 08:33   #75

In case anyone's holding their breath on this. I've chosen Avon, NC as a hailing port. Noble nautical history, fits in the place on the stern and has a nice ring to it.