Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2013, 08:53   #91

Re: Have you ever be cited for using VHF?

I just went through the online registration process. First you go to fcc.gov and get a FRN (the FCC registration number). You will use this number to then apply for a Ship License to get a call sign, MMSI and register all of your equipment (including EPIRB). This costs $160 and is good for 10 years. You have to go back to the fcc.gov website to find out when your license has been approved and can print it off there. It took about a day or two. I was expecting an e-mail but did not get anything so far. It will have your call sign and MMSI number. Then, the restricted operator license permit is another license application (RR code.) Use your FRN again and the site will keep track of all licensing under this one number. The restricted op license is for each individual who will use the radios. It is $60 per person and is good for your lifetime. It was confusing at first. I sent an e-mail asking for information and they sent an e-mail back telling me to call. If you have questions, call 877-480-3201. They were very helpful.
Uno Mas Cerveza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 21:43   #92

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Lagoon4us that's a strange call sign as VMR446 is the call sign of Gladstone Queensland VMR ??????
Jacko this is a copy of the email i got this morning.

Hello Frank,

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that the call sign ‘VMR446’ sounds like one you have registered with your Volunteer Marine Rescue.
VHF radios are covered under a Class Licence with ACMA, allowing owner’s to have call signs of their choice, which allows owner’s to use their vessel name, registration number or have one given to them by their local VMR.

Only HF radios are required to be registered and allocated a call sign from ACMA.

Please be advised the call sign you have listed ‘VMR446’ is fine, however it will not appear on the ACMA website registered to your details, as VHF radios are no longer allocated call signs from ACMA.

Kind regards,

Natasha Lusso
ACTING ASSISTANT MANAGER
406 MHz/MMSI DATABASE OPERATOR
PLANNING & BUSINESS SUPPORT
EMERGENCY RESPONSE DIVISION

82 Northbourne Avenue, Braddon ACT 2612
GPO BOX 2181, Canberra ACT 2601
p
02 6279 5766 or 1800 406 406
f
02 9332 6323 or 1800 406 329
e
ausbeacon@amsa.gov.au
w
Australian Maritime Safety Authority
Old 05-06-2013, 06:05   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I just went through the process as outlined by Cerveza. Worked perfectly. We might want to put his post as a sticky in front of the rules and red tape section. Saved me 100 dollars from the guys that wanted to "help me out and do it" at the port.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:33   #94

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Good to know...let us know if the Canadian CG ever asks for it! Or anyone, really...
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:46   #95

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
All this talk of regulatory compliance reminds me there are two kinds of people on earth. Our city has a "rat on your neighbors" hotline for people who let their grass grow beyond the height limit. The grass police will come to your house, measure your grass with a steel engineering ruler and make you mow the lawn or charge you $300 for the city to do it. There are two kinds of people: those who will call that number for whatever reason and whatever justification, and those who never will.
Absolutely

I wonder if any new updates to this thread...

Anyone been cited?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:59   #96
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Have you ever be cited for using VHF?

Only thing I've ever been questioned on is a lack of call sign.. but you don't get one if your 'SSR'... only if your 'Blue Book'...
MMSI is the best on offer..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:06   #97

Boat: Carter offshore 35

When applying for the MRO remember to add everything including radar.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:22   #98

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I'm not sure if I'm licensed properly or not. I have an FCC radio station license and the Restricted Radio Operators license I got for free 35 years ago. If one looks at the web site one now needs to supply a photo and Id to get this license. Mine has no photo but it does say lifetime license on it. Since I am alive (well mostly anyway) I don't plan on giving the FCC any more of my money for a new one.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 15:29   #99
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Have you ever be cited for using VHF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Only thing I've ever been questioned on is a lack of call sign.. but you don't get one if your 'SSR'... only if your 'Blue Book'...
MMSI is the best on offer..
Huh , you get one based on a ships station radio license application , not related to registration , you just apply for a ships license. , its free you get call sign mmsi etc.

Dave
Old 07-01-2014, 15:39   #100
cruiser

I'm still interested in the original question, and it still sounds like "no".

Anyone? Anything?

Not "I know a guy whose sister's girlfriend's cellmate met a guy in a bar who paid ten grand to a Mexican state trooper and a CIA operative...", but a citation. To you. About your VHF license or lack thereof.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 15:43   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I got all the numbers last year, and went cruising in BC for a while. Never used any of it, although the AIS is valuable. No one ever asked me for any qualifications anywhere. Not even crossing the border. Not even the Coast Guards. I kinda feel let down- couldn't they roust me just a bit for my paranoia? Maybe when I get to Panama...
Speaking of Customs- I got all excited to do the custom thing- put on my best clothes, ate all banned food, both took baths before showing up in Canada after being in the San Juans for a week. All they did was listen to my phone call and say welcome to Canada. Turns out they had been following my AIS signal since crossing the border and already had done all the background check on our boring lives.
Gee- at least they could have checked the fire extinguishers...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 15:49   #102
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Have you ever be cited for using VHF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Huh , you get one based on a ships station radio license application , not related to registration , you just apply for a ships license. , its free you get call sign mmsi etc.

Dave
Damn.. my 1st boat with a VHF (6th owned) I registered Blue Book.. pre A4 crap... and got issued with a call sign.. so just assumed it was a Lloyds Registry thing as I did not get one with my SSR reg's...
Mind.. been getting by just fine so no big deal..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 16:10   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just by the way . . . . . the (current) panama canal requirement for VHF

Articles:

9. Very High Frequency (VHF) Radio: Every power-driven vessel of 300 gross tons or over, every power-driven vessel of 100 gross tons or over carrying passengers for hire, and every commercial towing vessel of 7.92 meters (26 feet) in length or over, shall be equipped with at least one VHF transceiver, as follows:
a. The transceiver must be operable from the navigation bridge.
b. It must be equipped with International Channels 12 (156.99 MHz), 13 (156.650 MHz), and 16 (156.800 MHz).

and

Article 34: Vessels shall operate their radio equipment in conformity with the principles and rules stipulated in the international conventions to which the Republic of Panama is a party.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 16:50   #104

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution

In OZ the licence is a Federal requirement, and they water police tend to be State so not their problem unless you are being an idiot and they want something to ping you for.

Only time I have ever needed to show it was applying for a MMSI, then I needed to send a copy with the application. 1 x MMSI for the boat and connected radio, AIS etc and a different MMSI for the hand held ICOM M92 with DSC registered in my name.

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:25   #105

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

I've heard the USCG come on channel 16 and verbally spank folks for various improper uses of the VHF (tying up CH 16 for ten minutes like it was a cell phone, kids making fart noises, people cursing like, well, sailors, etc.) but I've never heard of anyone being cited for anything.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf