Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-11-2009, 13:03   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
We have never been boarded in the international waters. We had a too close visit from Aus warship once, NW of Australia but we asked them to row off, which they did. I believe they just wanted to see a small boat up close, the point is it was flat and they came to within a cable or so.

In NZ and Australia my boat was thoroughly searched for something that apparently was not there.

I have talked with a sailor who claimed he had been boarded in the middle of the Caribbean Sea once, by a (US or UK) warship.

b.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:58   #62

Boat: next one awaited
I' ve been stopped and searched by UK customs on two or three occasions;

guess I had it coming because my last boat was an 8metre RIB black hull black tubes black seats -they said it had "drug runner " written all over it

also on the 60th anniversary of D Day got chased away form the aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle by a larger RIB full of gun toting French commandos; my assertion that they did not seem so happy to see the Brits as they were in June 1944 got a rather terse reply of "F*** off 10 miles north immediately"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	honfleur.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	11435  

Old 02-12-2009, 07:54   #63
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i was approached for boarding by the USCG while I was under full sail out of tampa bay into the gulf. as they came alongside I told them it would be difficult for me to stop my boat and they said ok no problem .. go figure.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:27   #64
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i was approached for boarding by the USCG while I was under full sail out of tampa bay into the gulf. as they came alongside I told them it would be difficult for me to stop my boat and they said ok no problem .. go figure.
I've had a similar experience. I told the CG that in my opinion it was unsafe to board in the current conditions, but that they were welcome to follow me to port and conduct a courtesy inspection there. They thanked me and went away.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:46   #65

Boat: Lord Nelson 41 S/V Fair Wind
Send a message via AIM to MJWEENZ
I have been cruising on Lake Erie for 30+ years now. I have been across the border to Canada and back many times on a variety of boats, from a 22' go-fast to our current sailboat. I have passed Coast Guard vessels often, waved at them frequently and got waved back at, but have never been boarded by them. Have talked to many of them when they came to our marina and found them all to be very polite and professional.

The officers from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Watercraft, are a totally different story. Their sole goal seems to be to write as many citations as humanly possible. On many occasions they work Sandusky Bay and stop cruises/boaters for no reason at all other than they can. They are rude and arrogant, show little respect for the boaters or their property and go way beyond what is required to show their authority. Under the guise of a “Safety Check” all they are trying to do is get a whiff of the Skippers breath to see if the operator has been consuming. No “probable cause”, no unsafe acts, just the desire to catch as many offenders as possible. On a popular reservoir here in central Ohio they actually hide in the woods with high powered binoculars looking for boaters consuming alcohol while at anchor and swimming.

While I do not condone drinking or being under the influence while at the helm I fear our loss of liberty and freedom more than I do drunk boaters.

Just my rant.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:18   #66

US CG on Lake Erie generally are as you say. But USCG in the southern regions - ouch!

OH takes its lessons from the road police - and you know how they are in OH. So much RADAR going on there residents need to be worried about radiation poisoning. Fines are a major source of revenue for many OH towns.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:00   #67

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
We have been boarded at sea just once, by the UK coasties, in 2005 - ie before the new legislation. They were very courteous and friendly, didn't ask us to slow down (which was good as we were hunting a tidal gate), looked in a few lockers and finally admitted it was primarily a training exercise. All for two women of a certain age and their elderly cats, so not very exciting from their point of view. We are hearing much more assertive boardings are happening from the new UKBA, with lots of black rubber and aggressive questioning; this may be a shake-down period, and the RYA and others are certainly lobbying around the tactics.

In France we have been boarded and had papers inspected at anchor. V swift and friendly. In Morocco had to show papers at every stop, and were boarded in in El Jebha and Al Hoceima. In El Jebha the v nervous official would not come below nor accept even a glass of water on a baking day. In Al H, the customs man was nice, the policeman much less so. He obviously felt talking to women was beneath his dignity and insisted on all comms going through the policeman. (My French is more than adequate for this conversation, and he spoke French to his colleague.) Again, an offer of coca cola or water was refused. The 'search' was just a quick look round, and really it was just sexist discourtesy, nothing more unpleasant.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
While I do not condone drinking or being under the influence while at the helm I fear our loss of liberty and freedom more than I do drunk boaters.
You might want to change your mind because it's the leading cause of death while boating. Were we to eliminate both drunk and stupid the boating public would be exceptionally safe.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:33   #69

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
You might want to change your mind because it's the leading cause of death while boating. Were we to eliminate both drunk and stupid the boating public would be exceptionally safe.
Many US citizens are more than willing to trade their fundamental freedoms and liberty for money (cheaper car insurance) or safety or whatever! Particularly when it is not their OX being gored.

We have freedom of unreasonable search and seizure yet the CG can board and search anyone on the water without probable cause. How did this happen?

Cheers!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:44   #70

Paul,
While I agree that drunk, and stupid, boaters are a menace, my own opinion is the erosion of our Fourth Amendment rights is a much greater threat to society. Before a law officer can stop you in your car there must be a reasonable suspicion or probable cause for such action (unless it is an OMVI checkpoint, and don't get me started on the constitutionally of that!!). To search your home a search warrant must be issued by a judge, and again there must be a reasonable suspicion of a crime. For the ODNR Division of Watercraft to randomly stop boaters that HAVE NOT broken any laws, rules of the road, obvious safety violations or been witnessed engaging in any dangerous behavior and whose boat may be their home just to smell the breath of the operator is a violation of our Fourth Amendment rights. We should give these up just because we are on the water? (yes, I know we do) This is not about stopping smuggling, terrorism or other acts against the state. It is law enforcement run amuck, with those that write the most tickets and collect the most revenue being rewarded.

However, if we can come up with a way to check IQs during a stop....
Old 02-12-2009, 12:45   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Factually incorrect, at least as it applies to the United States.
Please see:

CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts
Old 02-12-2009, 12:51   #72

And now that I posted this with the name of my vessel I'm sure I will get my share of attention!
Old 02-12-2009, 13:26   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryprocter View Post
Factually incorrect, at least as it applies to the United States.
Please see:
CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts
From your link:

- Lack of appropriate choices in recreational boating. In 2006, the U.S. Coast Guard received reports for 4,967 boating incidents; 3,474 boaters were reported injured, and 710 died. Among those who drowned, 9 out of ten were not wearing life jackets. Most boating fatalities from 2006 (70%) were caused by drowning; the remainder were due to trauma, hypothermia, carbon monoxide poisoning, or other causes. Open motor boats were involved in 45% of all reported incidents, and personal watercraft were involved in another 24%.*

- Alcohol use. Alcohol use is involved in up to half of adolescent and adult deaths associated with water recreation and about one in five reported boating fatalities. Alcohol influences balance, coordination, and judgment, and its effects are heightened by sun exposure and heat.

* U.S. Coast Guard, Department of Homeland Security (US). Boating Statistics – 2006 [online]. 2008. [cited 2008 March 26]:
http://www.uscgboating.org/statistic...stics_2006.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 14:19   #74

Boat: Bruckmann 50
In Canada 2/3 of folks involved in boat related drownings had alcohol in their blood. Maybe it is colder there so they drink more.

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/reprint/159/3/259.pdf

I always wonder if these statistics don't just show that we are really quite a drinking culture rather then how closely alcohol is related to accidents. I have not found the study showing what the control group of people that didn't drown had in their blood.

Jim
Old 02-12-2009, 14:26   #75

GordMay,

No need to pile onto the guy for quoting misleading statistics...unless you too are not suggesting that drunk boating is the "leading cause of death"?????Naw, you can possible think that??? The leading cause of death is drownings without alcohol. Period. 80% of deaths involved no alcohol. 80% is bigger than 20%. Now that I've held your hand, perhaps you will agree with the poster that overzealous inland waterway officials look to recreational boaters as a source of revenue. Cynical, but maybe these times require such cynicism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
From your link:

- Lack of appropriate choices in recreational boating. In 2006, the U.S. Coast Guard received reports for 4,967 boating incidents; 3,474 boaters were reported injured, and 710 died. Among those who drowned, 9 out of ten were not wearing life jackets. Most boating fatalities from 2006 (70%) were caused by drowning; the remainder were due to trauma, hypothermia, carbon monoxide poisoning, or other causes. Open motor boats were involved in 45% of all reported incidents, and personal watercraft were involved in another 24%.*

- Alcohol use. Alcohol use is involved in up to half of adolescent and adult deaths associated with water recreation and about one in five reported boating fatalities. Alcohol influences balance, coordination, and judgment, and its effects are heightened by sun exposure and heat.

* U.S. Coast Guard, Department of Homeland Security (US). Boating Statistics – 2006 [online]. 2008. [cited 2008 March 26]:
www.uscgboating.org/statistics/Boating_Statistics_2006.pdf

Tags
arc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: