Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-11-2009, 08:32   #46

Boat: contessa 32
Boarded in the hudson riv 100 miles N of nyc by local sheriffs dept of Dutchess and
Ulster countieswith CG men on board. CG men were polite and professional ;local cops were complete a holes ;rude, with little idea of small sailboat capabillites.
sheriff ordered my passenger to turn boat downwind while mainsail luffing (I had been sent below to search for a bell that wasn't required for my 31 feet; resulting jibe almost took the heads off the 2 coasties posturing in the cockpit. If jibe had sent them into the water they would have sunk like stones with heavy boots,guns,ammo ,radios etc..Hudson R. here is less than 1 mile wide w wooded shoreline,yet is patrolled by CG,state police ,park service,local town police,DEC,home land security ETc.etc.Who is paying for all of this? And why do I not feel safe when I see these cowboys?

ulster counties with CG men on board too.

Old 21-11-2009, 08:40   #47
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
We hire people (at least our tax dollars do) to talk softly and carry a big stick.

Nothing political about that decision, just the reality that if they were not out there policing their chosen area, the coast of Somalia would seem a lot closer.

Freedom’s just another word for …nothing left to loose…..

Old 21-11-2009, 10:07   #48

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
I believe... that security declines as security machinery expands. ~E.B. White

The more insecure we feel, the more guns we buy and gunmen we hire, the less secure we are. The "Patriot Act" may have been the final blow to America's freedom to pursue life, liberty and happiness that began with the War on Drugs. There was an uproar back in the 80's when the CG began boarding boats without probable cause, but it has become accepted with time.

A friend of mine jokes that soon, the top 1% will own everything, and half the 99%will be hired as security guards to protect them from the other half.
Old 22-11-2009, 05:26   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
The US Marshal's Service came under some scrutiny in the mid-late 1990's for their practice of hiring thugs and biker-lookalikes and their unprofessional look, demeanor, and behavior, and were subsequently ordered by Congress to clean up their act or else (lose funding), which they should have done by now. When was your experience exactly?
Don't recall exactly; but late 90's, perhaps spring of 2000.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 07:02   #50

Boat: Beneteau 35
I was sailing in Puget Sound when a big motor cruiser pulled up and was hailed for a safety inspection by the coast guard auxiliary. I said no and they looked dumbfounded. I never stopped and they followed me for a bit then went away.
Old 22-11-2009, 07:23   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
The USCG can not board a non-US-flagged vessel in international waters without compelling evidence that it's engaged in piracy, drug-smuggling illegal broadcasting or human trafficking, unless the master gives them permission to board. They may try to coerce that permission - either on VHF or by sending a boat full of armed troops. In US waters or the territorial waters of any state that has an agreement in force, the USCG can board and search any vessel.

From UNCLOS:
Quote:
Article110
Right of visit
Quote:
1. Except where acts of interference derive from powers conferred by treaty, a warship which encounters on the high seas a foreign ship, other than a ship entitled to complete immunity in accordance with articles 95 and 96, is not justified in boarding it unless there is reasonable ground for suspecting that:
(a) the ship is engaged in piracy;
(b) the ship is engaged in the slave trade;
(c) the ship is engaged in unauthorized broadcasting and the flag State of the warship has jurisdiction under article 109;
(d) the ship is without nationality; or
(e) though flying a foreign flag or refusing to show its flag, the ship is, in reality, of the same nationality as the warship.
2. In the cases provided for in paragraph 1, the warship may proceed to verify the ship's right to fly its flag. To this end, it may send a boat under the command of an officer to the suspected ship. If suspicion remains after the documents have been checked, it may proceed to a further examination on board the ship, which must be carried out with all possible consideration.
3. If the suspicions prove to be unfounded, and provided that the ship boarded has not committed any act justifying them, it shall be compensated for any loss or damage that may have been sustained.
4. These provisions apply mutatis mutandis to military aircraft.
5. These provisions also apply to any other duly authorized ships or aircraft clearly marked and identifiable as being on government service.
Old 22-11-2009, 08:40   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

FWIW the UK seems to have decided to go down the bully boy route of inspections with the UKBA (UK Borders Agency), both onshore and via RIB (whilst dressed as Rambo wannabees ).

Apparently looking for illegal immigrants (UK Govt can't seem to find the million plus illegals onshore - I guess they figure they are all hiding on boats ), Smugglers (another step in the War on Drugs - designed by someone who must have been smoking something ) and Terrorism (ignoring the fact that the UKBA are not equipped to deal with any terrorists they encounter, the slight loophole is the UKBA will not be enforcing the Border with Ireland - for the very good reason that they would likely get deaded - it never totally stopped over their, and now seems to be kicking off again, but that's another thread on another forum ).........not sure if the UKBA remit includes anti-piracy, if so - given recent events - a loud Boo! should scare them off............

Be interesting to see how the UKBA deal with our North American cousins at sea, given their tendency to be a bit more armed than the local yachts........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 09:37   #53

As a former Boarding team member with 26 years of sea duty, the friendly approach is all ways the best for the cruiser. Even then, there are times that "intell" will push the tension up a notch. Best "boarding" was a expensive yacht, where we were requested to take our boots of in the salon as it had white as snow deep pile carpet. As the crew of this fine yacht were all starke naked and very beautiful young women. Thank Gawd the owner (over 60 and well not the best lookin) had his shorts on as he worked with us.
The worst was a 75 foot coverted fishin trawler, with a beligerent owner, found loaded weapons in every space, where he said none onboard, then proceeded to argue with the Boarding officer, then assaulted him, He lost it all in Matthew Town. Seems he had warrants in 3 countries for murder.
Old 22-11-2009, 10:35   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
1998--mexican navy in mexican waters off coronado islands....they were searching for any weaponry, illegal fishing equipment---donot go there without a mexican fishing license and own fishing gear--is considered poaching..have been boarded twice by mexican, they are most polite and respectful when they board, btw.....never by uscg--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 18:37   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene343 View Post
I was sailing in Puget Sound when a big motor cruiser pulled up and was hailed for a safety inspection by the coast guard auxiliary. I said no and they looked dumbfounded. I never stopped and they followed me for a bit then went away.

Auxiliary has no legal authority. They are civilian aux period.
Old 22-11-2009, 18:49   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
The USCG can not board a non-US-flagged vessel in international waters without compelling evidence that it's engaged in piracy, drug-smuggling illegal broadcasting or human trafficking, unless the master gives them permission to board. They may try to coerce that permission - either on VHF or by sending a boat full of armed troops. In US waters or the territorial waters of any state that has an agreement in force, the USCG can board and search any vessel.

From UNCLOS:
[CENTER]

UNCLOS and Agreement on Part XI - Preamble and frame index[/LEFT]
If the USCG has a representative (onboard the cutter) of that country the vessels flag represents or an agreement with said country(and permission from said country) , they can board the vessel in international waters. Usually it is good intell that makes for the more involved permission of the Flag country. But that only usually an hour. Even the Boats (coastal freighters) with drugs onboard will give permission to board. They get more through than the USCG finds.
Old 22-11-2009, 18:53   #57

Boat: Beneteau 35
i know that and why i didn't comply....
Old 22-11-2009, 19:32   #58
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I think a pleasant

"No thank you" would have sufficed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene343 View Post
i know that and why i didn't comply....
Old 22-11-2009, 21:14   #59

Boat: None :(
We got boarded by the local Sheriff in north Florida. They were trying to catch people with their plumbing out of order. They and came screaming up and jumped aboard without much introduction. They were uniformed and had a state parks person on board the whaler they were in. They put dye down our head and then hopped off to do the next boat.
We wondered what authority they had to come aboard, but it didn't seem worth arguing about.
I don't know why they wear those heavy boots, they leave marks and would be a nightmare if they fell in.
JMB
Old 25-11-2009, 12:49   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Yes , 13 times, 6 times by the US coast guard, the last time the coast guard stop me in the way from bahamas to dominican republic about 30 miles from luperon, in the night , with wind and waves, another nasty one last year about 17 miles from Oporto Portugal , looking for boat papers , and because im delivery a catamaran from france and the owner dont have the final boat papers whe made the stop in Oporto to talk with customs.
Weren't both those way out of territorial waters?

Tags
arc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: