Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2013, 06:49   #1

Have a cigar? Be careful!

Cops take boat and stogies, even without proving a crime | The Daily Caller
Old 26-04-2013, 07:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Have a cigar? Be careful!

Sometimes it makes you wonder whose side they are on. Seemingly not on the side of The People sometimes.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 08:03   #3

Boat: Alberg 30
Or at least, if you're going to import 33 boxes of counterfit Cuban(fake cohibas) then do it on someone else's boat.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 08:32   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I love how the article indicates US Custom's Web Site doesn't warn people that they may search you boat or car! Not to mention, no where is it stated if the owner tried to conceal the cigars or if the owner tried to declare them.

Stories like this always make me suspicious and I suspect there is more to this than what is printed...

To try and get the whole picture, I searched the internet for both the boat name and the owners name and did not find any other hits, except by the Daily Caller, which is obviously a right wing newspaper.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 08:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
..., except by the Daily Caller, which is obviously a right wing newspaper.
Seriously? A right wing newspaper? Even if it was which its not, it still doesn't balance out with the vast majority being left wing media.

But back on topic this is why I never bring anything questionable on board be it booze, smokes, leather goods. If something is too good a deal then it is.

The treatment of counterfeiters has become so draconian because of the proliferation of counterfeiting. From the benign of handbags to the seriousness of circuit breakers and pharmaceuticals.
SeaBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 09:21   #6

Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Sorry if I offended you SeaBuffalo my post was not about politics...

The point was no one else is reporting this seizure/incident and we only have one perspective from the Daily Caller, which is obviously slanted towards the owner of the boat.

Old 26-04-2013, 09:29   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
... Stories like this always make me suspicious and I suspect there is more to this than what is printed...

To try and get the whole picture, I searched the internet for both the boat name and the owners name and did not find any other hits, except by the Daily Caller, which is obviously a right wing newspaper.
Had you read any of the Daily Caller's articles during the Bush years, I suspect you would have presumed it to be a left wing journal and would have been gushing with praise...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 09:37   #8

Quote:
Sorry if I offended you SeaBuffalo my political comment was not about politics...
Fixed it for you. Who me? I said what?

Back on topic. There seems to be a lot more to this story. What more can be said based on so little information?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 09:50   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
I love how the article indicates US Custom's Web Site doesn't warn people that they may search you boat or car! Not to mention, no where is it stated if the owner tried to conceal the cigars or if the owner tried to declare them.

Stories like this always make me suspicious and I suspect there is more to this than what is printed...

If you carry in counterfeit merchandise, your vessel can be seized, just as it will be for drug smuggling. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone doing that sort of thing.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 09:51   #10

Quote:
Sorry if I offended you SeaBuffalo my post was not about politics...
You didn't offend me at all, the buffalo has a tough hide. As was said after me the paper during the bush years looked like a constant left wing drive by.

But I do agree there is a lot of people who just give the "I was innocently walking down the street with the police just beat me to a pulp" then we see the video of them jumping at someone with a gun. The. Suddenly their memory gets better.

Not saying that's the case in this circumstance but there is a lot missing from this story.
SeaBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 11:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Had you read any of the Daily Caller's articles during the Bush years, I suspect you would have presumed it to be a left wing journal and would have been gushing with praise...
Since it was created by Chenney Advisor and the front page seems to be anti Obama... I would not have guess that, so I looked it up on Wiki.

The Daily Caller | Ask.com Encyclopedia

Obviously we have differing views and I will leave it at that

Old 26-04-2013, 11:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
If you carry in counterfeit merchandise, your vessel can be seized, just as it will be for drug smuggling. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone doing that sort of thing.
It is also illegal to bring more than 100 cigars into the US, without declaring them and paying duty on them....

It will be interesting where this goes and what finally happens to the owner and the boat

Old 26-04-2013, 11:30   #13

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
RICO laws at work against the regular citizen. And years ago our government swore they were only to be used against the Mafia
sums it up. and Patriot Act just for terrorists, then suddenly everyone with a gun, bomb or computer is a terrorist. So far, nobody cares, everyone re-elected.
If you don't do anything wrong, why should you worry???
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 11:45   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

The boat was siezed because it was transporting counterfeit goods. I've made my living on my copyright and I'm all in favor of fighting both copyright and trademark violations. Maybe the guy didn't know they were counterfeit, in which case he should be off the hook -- 24 isn't a lot, easily a personal supply.

But I'll never get up in arms over the laws applying.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 12:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
sums it up. and Patriot Act just for terrorists, then suddenly everyone with a gun, bomb or computer is a terrorist. So far, nobody cares, everyone re-elected.
If you don't do anything wrong, why should you worry???
This guy was stupid, got caught and we still don't know the whole story... yet.

Don't make this about government conspiracies, especially with no facts.

Asset Forfeiture, is commonly used when the accused is making money from his crime, which includes the transportation he used to commit that crime.

Although the article didn't mention it, someone had to get arrested to make this happen...

So once again I say there is more to this than what is in the article and I look forward to hearing about it...