Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 09:45   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Has The Cruisers Forum Sold Out?

Dear CF...

I understand your necessity to host advertisements to pay for the infrastructure of this wonderful website....

You have my permission and blessing to continue to do so...

HappyMdRSailor

(remind self to continue to "google" in a parental advisory role in order to maintain the moral baseline two moral baselines of the household)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ad screen cap 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	73278   Click image for larger version

Name:	ad screen cap 2.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	73279  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ad screen cap 3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	73280  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 04-01-2014, 13:45   #122

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
YeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaa...
Hell ya! I wanna look like that when I'm 80.

Just kidding. Is that you boatman?
Old 04-01-2014, 13:55   #123
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Has The Cruisers Forum Sold Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Hell ya! I wanna look like that when I'm 80.

Just kidding. Is that you boatman?
Yup... doing the SMX Surf..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 04-01-2014, 17:17   #124

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

This has been another enjoyable Thread. Thank goodness we all have opinions and choices we can make.....like many here, I am thankful for all the enjoyment I have received and the knowledge gained....it is all far more valuable to me than the $15.01 I paid without hesitation and will again with time to renew.

Thanks to the "owner" and Moderators whom I do not envy for theirs is not an easy task to please all.........Life is Good another day.......just keepa Smilin.....

S/V Water Wings
Old 04-01-2014, 20:41   #125

Hosting forums is a thankless job that only covers the bills if you're lucky! I fully support CF running ad networks to support free access, such an awesome resource. If you don't like the ads pay the membership.

Keep up the great work CF!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-01-2014, 05:15   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuss View Post
If you don't like the ads pay the membership.
I do pay the membership and still get ads at the top of every page.

I participate in a variety of forums, some subsidized by ads, some completely ad-free, some with paid membership in lieu of ads, some with paid membership to participate at all, and some with purely voluntary paid membership. There are lots of business models that work. I pay for quite a few of these forums because I want to support a good site and/or want to squelch the ads.

Where I think CF could be improved is by making membership 100% squelch the ads. That I will very happily pay for. I'm fine with having the choice of pay up or suffer the ads, and we can each make our own choice. It just seems to me that what's offered currently is neither here nor there. I only speak for myself, of course, but I'm unlikely to continue paying membership if it only reduces the ads rather than eliminates them.

But, we are clearly talking to a wall on this subject since the site "proprietors" remain MIA.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:46   #127

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Dear CF...

I understand your necessity to host advertisements to pay for the infrastructure of this wonderful website....

You have my permission and blessing to continue to do so...

HappyMdRSailor

(remind self to continue to "google" in a parental advisory role in order to maintain the moral baseline two moral baselines of the household)
Yeah, that's the one that forced me to install ad block. I cant have my 8 year old boy come in and see that.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:50   #128

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya TwistedTree! Install AdBlockPlus freeware; Google it then download it. You'll never see 95% of the ads from any website you'll visit, including this forum's. It's a great software!

Mauritz
Old 05-01-2014, 06:03   #129

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya TwistedTree! Install AdBlockPlus freeware; Google it then download it. You'll never see 95% of the ads from any website you'll visit, including this forum's. It's a great software!

Mauritz
I took the advice and installed the AdBlockerPlus, no adverts anywhere, happy days are here again.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:13   #130
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm sure Andy loves all this talk about ad blockers etc., kind of like an organized discussion of how to take money away from him where you use his own site to do so. Doesn't seen to be very moral or honest to keep posting about it.

If you don't want to see the ads then pay for a membership or stop reading the site.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:23   #131
cruiser

Well it's a good thing we all don't have the same morals. Morals, honesty, and advertising, that's a whole topic in it self. I am very happy to know about Adblocker and bet hundreds of others are as well. A big thanks to whoever mentioned it.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:36   #132

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Sailorboy! I am a forum supporter who paid $15.01, in the hope that I will not see most advertisements. To my disappointment, advertisements were still popping in, even with my subscription. AdBlockerPlus, the free-ware, took care of almost ALL of the ads; no ads can be seen on any website you'll visit. Life's good!

Mauritz
I UN-complicate things...
Old 05-01-2014, 06:45   #133

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Sailorboy! I am a forum supporter who paid $15.01, in the hope that I will not see most advertisements. To my disappointment, advertisements were still popping in, even with my subscription. AdBlockerPlus, the free-ware, took care of almost ALL of the ads; no ads can be seen on any website you'll visit. Life's good!

Mauritz
I UN-complicate things...
Hey Sailorboy,
I paid too. By the way did you pay or get a free membership. Seems to me that you were complaining about not making the cut on another thread.....But then did.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:53   #134

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Well it's a good thing we all don't have the same morals. Morals, honesty, and advertising, that's a whole topic in it self. I am very happy to know about Adblocker and bet hundreds of others are as well. A big thanks to whoever mentioned it.
Spot on post Horror Hotel, really love when people try to "Preach" their views of morality and honesty to me, and somehow now I am dishonest because I don't want to view images of scantly dressed woman or see an advert for Rocna anchors for the millionth time.

The older I have become the more I have grown to hate the capitalist consumer lifestyle that chews up every aspect of the natural world in the name of profit and has no parity between the fat cat haves and the have not's. When I was drawn into joining the Forum it was represented that it was free to join. I never had an issue with some advertising on CF, it was when the volume and type as well as methodology of them increased to crazy levels. When you allow any advertisers message here and you try to trick me under false pretense to going to a website that I have no desire to visit, it cheapens the experience and makes me feel used.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:57   #135

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Has The Cruisers Forum Sold Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
... But, we are clearly talking to a wall on this subject since the site "proprietors" remain MIA.
This is what comes from not reading previous posts. I think Andy has posted in this thread. And what more is there to say? Some strong contributors got free supporter status for a couple of years. Now it's over. Boaty ponied up, and prob several others I haven't noticed.

There are several small benefits with supporter status, including fewer ads. Buy or fly cuz , ya know, no one rides for free.

It seems somewhat tacky to discuss ad blockers. Can't be many CFers unaware of the technology.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum