Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2013, 15:38   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Has The Cruisers Forum Sold Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
The advertisers get a kickback for every copy of add blocker sold. I always thought the anti-virus software people were responsible for writing the viruses.
I'm not so sure. I use the open source adblocker and it works well enough for me. And they are not selling this software - it's free

Good luck with cheese

CHEESE
Old 30-12-2013, 15:39   #17

I am a bit of a dirt bag and picked my avatar sort of as a joke. The guy pictured is a friend of a friend of mine who is a male model who is known as "The" Nautica Guy. I have met him, great guy BTW

Ever since I put him up, all I see when I am on CF are Nautica ads which sort of burns me because, as mentioned I am a bit of a dirt bag. I have a hanging locker full of pairs of the same colored pants and shirts, fashion not being something I devote a lot of effort to.

The intriguing thing to me is that I cropped the image and photoshopped out some text but the image remains identifiable, go figure. The internets knows all!
Old 30-12-2013, 17:38   #18

Boat: Newport 28

To be honest, I use Chrome, standard install, nothing else. I set my bookmark to the forum, I stay logged in, and nothing I see is so intrusive that it's turned me off at all to the site, much less enough to make the trade-off of such a vast wealth of knowledge and helpfulness, worth stepping away from. Banner at the top, that I scroll by anyway, and a few on the right side, which aren't in my direct field of vision as I scroll down through posts. I'm sure other browsers and things might be different. But for as much information as is here, I'll deal with it, especially given the free cost of said information. And even if it got too much, $1.30 a month or whatever the $15.01 a year breaks down to, would be well worth it to me, for all the assistance this site has offered.
Old 30-12-2013, 17:57   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Ads are served up by google and some by CF vendors. Google ads are based on page content, your location and most especially your past surfing history. Google knows a lot. The ads help keep the doors open, keep the servers humming the site online. If you are seeing ads for odd stuff, you might try dumping your cookies.....

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Old 30-12-2013, 18:00   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

This is the current ad that I'm seeing so how can I complain?

Click image for larger version

Name:	14015034151064405607.jpeg
Views:	521
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	73037
Old 30-12-2013, 18:03   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post

Attachment 73037
umm .... hmm. If you think an ad is inappropriate we can ask google to block the url of the advertiser. I'll need the url of the ad. (please send via PM). But... she is sort of fetching (in a wholesome and tanned sort of way )

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Old 30-12-2013, 18:11   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

all i get are russian bride ads.........what is a MILF? by the way
Old 30-12-2013, 18:19   #23

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Atoll, you are a riot!! LOL The only add I saw was one from Hop-Car, and as they seem to be real folks I sure don't mind that at all!! And Ive seen an add or two from other Marine Companys Ive done Bizz with. Sure don't think any one's selling out ! I won't use pay pal, so I can't become a member so my thoughts don't count for much !!
Old 30-12-2013, 18:20   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35

There are ads here? Where?

Oh, I just turned off Ad Block, and now I see them.

Okay, experiment over, turning it back on now.
Old 30-12-2013, 18:40   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm seriously unaware,- maybe handicapped! The only ads I see are at a banner across the top of each page and once I begin scrolling down through the content, I never see any advertising. I guess I could have some blocking of ads, but I'm truly tech impaired and I've never sought any advertisment blocking. I'll step back and read the accounts, but I seem to be blissfully unaware! Something I have or don't have seems to keep me from being a target! ....'don't tell me they know my pockets are empty!
Old 30-12-2013, 19:01   #26

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I'm seriously unaware,- maybe handicapped! The only ads I see are at a banner across the top of each page and once I begin scrolling down through the content, I never see any advertising. I guess I could have some blocking of ads, but I'm truly tech impaired and I've never sought any advertisment blocking. I'll step back and read the accounts, but I seem to be blissfully unaware! Something I have or don't have seems to keep me from being a target! ....'don't tell me they know my pockets are empty!
I assume it's b/c you're a "supporter." I hope that is provided gratis for all the good work you and your fellow mods do here.
Old 30-12-2013, 19:30   #27

I guess we all have to pay the freight one way or another, although those flashing ads here can sure be obnoxious. I get back at them by buying from their competitors. What really bothers me are the companies like Google and Skimresources that use this site to put scripts on our machines to gather information about us. I'll go far out of my way to protect my privacy and poison the data for those folks. They think I own a fleet of aircraft carriers on Lake Tahoe.
Old 30-12-2013, 19:30   #28

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post

Attachment 73037
How do I get THOSE ads? man...Mine are all boat parts, cars, and random electronics.

honestly, I don't mind the ones that come through, I rarely pay them much attention. I WILL say though, that I HAVE actually clicked one or two in my time. Even though I haven't purchased anything as a result, I do remember there being something that I went "oh that looks interesting, what's that about?". But I'd say that represents about .05% of my interactions..
Old 30-12-2013, 19:55   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I do like some of their T-shirts.

Old 30-12-2013, 20:12   #30

Boat: PETERSON 44

It does appear there are more adds . They don't bother near so much if I am warm and dry in my New weather gear">foul weather gear from dunks boatyard and marine supply. Especially if I am drinking warm Bibbles spiced cider almost don't see any adds after a few. Nothing goes better with a sailing forum then Bibbles and fine foulies from dunks yard.
Hope that helps
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum