Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2011, 16:53   #31
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, Wash.
Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Posts: 1,794
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectTheOcean View Post
John, are you saying that if one arrives in Trinidad with a flare gun on his vessel, that safety device is contraband?
No, I did not.
I said that one had to get a Permit to purchase either a flare gun or the flares while in Trinadad. And I was told that getting a permit from the Police was almost iimpossible.
__________________

__________________
John A is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-03-2011, 22:01   #32
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectTheOcean View Post
John, are you saying that if one arrives in Trinidad with a flare gun on his vessel, that safety device is contraband?
That is true - flare guns in Trinidad are "normally" required to be held by customs until you leave. Whether you get them back is debatable. The locals convert them to pistols by using steel inserts.
- - However, the first time I arrived in Trinidad back in 2004, a nice Customs guy wanted to see the boat and when he stepped into the cockpit and saw my SOLAS round flare kit hanging on the wall - he faced away from it and told me to get that thing out of the cockpit and put away down below somewhere. He went on to explain the problem with locals thieving those kits, if they can see them, and converting the flare pistols.
- - You have to declare flares, etc. on the customs forms so I just enter "SOLAS" flares and nobody pays any attention to it.
__________________

__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-03-2011, 22:11   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 68
Send a message via Skype™ to ProtectTheOcean
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Okay, a bit of improv here. Should we maybe carry standard flares and some sort of (clay pigeon style) launcher to get a regular flare into the air? Will that work? Seems like that would resolve the problem all the way around (of not being able to keep flares for safety purposes.)
__________________
ProtectTheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-03-2011, 22:33   #34
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, Wash.
Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Posts: 1,794
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

I checked into Trinidad for 7 hurrican seasons from 2002 thru 2008, I just declared them and never had my boat boarded.
I had to wait to replace my outdated flares until I was in Granada.
__________________
John A is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-03-2011, 22:37   #35
Registered User
 
muskoka's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Posts: 775
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectTheOcean View Post
Okay, a bit of improv here. Should we maybe carry standard flares and some sort of (clay pigeon style) launcher to get a regular flare into the air? Will that work? Seems like that would resolve the problem all the way around (of not being able to keep flares for safety purposes.)
Look, you need to research what is considered contraband by the countries you intend to visit. I doubt the authorities will be swayed by CF members "resolving the problem all the way around". In most places standard handheld flares are acknowledged to be essential safety devices on yachts, but flare guns are not nearly as widely accepted.

Firearms are strictly controlled or outright illegal in many countries. In order to comply with local laws you may have to surrender your weapon - or they may view importation as a felony. The point is that this is serious, and you need to be crystal clear on the laws. You really don't want to find out after the fact that your assumptions are wrong.

Look at cannabis: In Canada possession may get you a small fine or suspended sentence. In Singapore possession makes you eligible for the death penalty. Many countries apply absolutely draconian rules when it comes to drugs or firearms.
__________________
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-03-2011, 22:54   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 68
Send a message via Skype™ to ProtectTheOcean
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Uhm, yeah, I get that. Really didn't just fall off the turnip truck last night. So what's wrong with the idea of something spring-loaded that can launch flairs high into the sky? Did you have something specific, like that they don't weigh enough, that the velocity would put the flare out, or were you just reminding us all that different countries have different rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
Look, you need to research what is considered contraband by the countries you intend to visit. I doubt the authorities will be swayed by CF members "resolving the problem all the way around". In most places standard handheld flares are acknowledged to be essential safety devices on yachts, but flare guns are not nearly as widely accepted.

Firearms are strictly controlled or outright illegal in many countries. In order to comply with local laws you may have to surrender your weapon - or they may view importation as a felony. The point is that this is serious, and you need to be crystal clear on the laws. You really don't want to find out after the fact that your assumptions are wrong.

Look at cannabis: In Canada possession may get you a small fine or suspended sentence. In Singapore possession makes you eligible for the death penalty. Many countries apply absolutely draconian rules when it comes to drugs or firearms.
__________________
ProtectTheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 22-03-2011, 06:14   #37
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I checked into Trinidad for 7 hurrican seasons from 2002 thru 2008, I just declared them and never had my boat boarded.
I had to wait to replace my outdated flares until I was in Granada.
Quite true in most cases, only once was I "inspected" and the customs guy was polite and "helped" me learn how to avoid problems that might crop up with a less than friendly official. One year "ratty" courtesy flags was the hot item with threatened fines unless you bought a new one. Things rarely ever stay "exactly" the same year after year.
- - But in general, all over the Caribbean very few Customs officials ever really "look" at that form you filled out. They just fill in their part of the form and collect the money. But every blue moon or two you get a "new" one who wants to examine everything in minute detail. This is where you might have hassles you really are not interested in dealing with. So we learn to "play the game" and keep things short and simple.
- - Exotic "solutions" are really not necessary, just learn how to make the officials job simple and quick without pushing the "legal" envelope too far and life is simple and pleasant even if a little tedious.
__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 22-03-2011, 08:28   #38
Registered User
 
muskoka's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Posts: 775
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectTheOcean View Post
Uhm, yeah, I get that. Really didn't just fall off the turnip truck last night. So what's wrong with the idea of something spring-loaded that can launch flairs high into the sky? Did you have something specific, like that they don't weigh enough, that the velocity would put the flare out, or were you just reminding us all that different countries have different rules?
The thread is "has anyone actually sailed with firearms?" - not launching flares. Or turnips.

Some suggestions, launch them with surgical cord or bungee run inside a piece of ABS plumbing pipe. They need fins or a drogue attached or they'll just tumble in flight. And no, the velocity won't put the flare out as they're intended for use in extremely high winds with heavy salt spray. Happy now?
__________________
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-03-2011, 10:06   #39
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,577
Images: 240
Re: Constitution

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
... The original poster asked for experience regarding international firearm laws ....
firearms-regulations-by-country
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/firearms-regulations-by-country-1641.html
Firearms Regulations by Country

Getting out of date by now
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-03-2011, 10:12   #40
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Which countries do we throw the flare guns overboard before we enter.

Surly cruisers don't cruise without flare guns as they can be required.

UK................
Flares.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OCFLR5615.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	25408  
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-03-2011, 10:25   #41
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
UK................
Flares.........

Thank you.

I have no experience with hand launched stick flares. It seems to me it could require a lot more attention than pointing a pistol. Is there a delay after activating?
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-03-2011, 10:33   #42
Mooderator
 
capngeo's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Key West & Sarasota
Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Posts: 4,211
Images: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Enough about flares..... the thread title is
Quote:
Has anyone actually sailed with firearms
Facts: Good
Opinions:Bad
__________________
Any fool with a big enough checkbook can BUY a boat; it takes a SPECIAL type of fool to build his own! -Capngeo
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-03-2011, 10:41   #43
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Ok Capgeo.... if Power vessels count yes...
Four twin Bofor's, 40 SLR's, 40 Lanchester semi Automatics, 40 Webley pistols, 4 LMG's..... Oh and a twin 4.5 on the bow...
I don't suppose you'd count six Mortar's.....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-03-2011, 10:42   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34
Posts: 144
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

The attached link to info about firearms was from an article by Gordo; I don't know the date of publication, but the piece is on topic.

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/guns_aboard.html

The cruisers forum link below is a lengthly discussion on topic:

Firearms Regulations by Country
__________________
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 23-03-2011, 10:51   #45
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Has anyone actually sailed with firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Thank you.

I have no experience with hand launched stick flares. It seems to me it could require a lot more attention than pointing a pistol. Is there a delay after activating?
Just the opposite...flare guns are known to fail at the most inopportune time...or are dropped overboard. SOLAS self launching flares have a well desreved reputation fof being the standard in safety equipment. That's not to say how foreign officials view certain/all pyrotecnics.

So back to the OP...sailing around the world with guns is no problem...it's the stopping part that gets tricky..

While force majeure could be claimed if forced to enter a country that you did not plan on visiting that was anti-gun...you could still wind up on the short side of justice as many countries could care less...even New jersey and guns aren't "Perfect Together" as the state advertising slogan goes.
__________________

__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Sailed on a Gib'Sea 43 ? ato Monohull Sailboats 11 19-03-2013 07:32
Anyone Sailed to the Azores ? jwidahonurse Atlantic & the Caribbean 9 10-07-2009 09:00
Hello from Texas..Never have sailed tquerin Meets & Greets 11 27-02-2009 10:33
Just sailed into your harbor! Seadogg Meets & Greets 4 13-06-2006 19:31
Anyone Sailed into Belize ? alaskadog Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 23 03-05-2006 08:27



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.