Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 13:47   #31

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Re: Handgun onboard on ICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgravitte View Post
Having a gun onboard is like having all your other safty equipment. Life jacket, life raft, flares, etc..... I've got it, hope I never need it. But if I do need it, it could save my life.
I sail the east coast and always carry. I have never had my boat searched. I was asked once by the coast guard if I had weapons on board. I said no and nothing else was said.
I usually do not comment twice on the same topic, however, lying to the U.S. coast Guard is beyond dumb. They have the same police powers as the F.B.I. and "bearing false witness" carries a very long jail term. My son was a Coast Guard pilot and flew many L.E. Missions, (law enforcement). They would often back up Treasury or F.B.I. units on the ground. If you want to go to jail, keep lying to the feds!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 14:24   #32

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

"Even the Queen of England had an intruder in her bedroom a number of years ago."

Did that intruder realize how old she is?
alansmith is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 14:41   #33

I vote that hand gun is not advisable for another reason not mentioned. A handgun's bullet travels a long way once fired. I agree with the physics that you would probably be firing upwards if inside the cabin when boarded. In the dark, scared shirtless, rocking boat, shaky sweaty hands...what could possibly go wrong...smile

I have heard multiple people mentioned the "racking of the shotgun" will scare most off. Another take on this "racking of the pump" is this...to do so automatically does two things: First, it alerts the intruder you are ready for a fight and he better consider his options wisely. Secondly, you have now disclosed your approximate location and where (to fire). The element of surprise is in your advantage if he does not know your location or whether you are armed. You just lost both of those advantages when "racking the pump" Just sayin...

Buy yourself a cheap 410 pump. It can hold 4 rounds easily. You can use loads that are deadly and will not go far once shot. You can pick them up cheap for a couple of hundred bucks if you feel the need. But I agree with most posters that the ICW is about as safe as it gets.
Old 23-09-2015, 15:14   #34

Boat: MacGregor 26X

Umm.... people, the ICW does not extend to foreign nations so every reply regarding this is off topic.
Second the whole concept of "the sound of racking a shotgun" is beyond any amount of serious consideration. If that is so horrible please tell me what the sound of charging an auto pistol or pulling back the hammer of a revolver does to a human.
Please, the question is simply about carrying a firearm aboard a vessel along the US (I am assuming US) ICW. Not whether it is your choice or whatever random foreign nation handles it.
You boat, your choice. Please do not try to force your preferences on other folk.
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 15:46   #35

Boat: 1972 VENTURE-22

I can't think of a time that you would need a handgun. I think a shotgun would be a sufficient protection 410 or 12 ga 00 shot or slugs or some of the new self defense rounds. Everyone should have a 12 ga flare gun on board, I would think twice if anyone pointed a 12 ga flare gun in my direction.
Ahoogha 3 times is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 16:27   #36

I have been stopped by the cg twice, they were very thorough in their search of my boat. if I think if I had a hidden gun they probably would have found it. I think you would have less headaches with a shotgun or rifle
motion30 is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 18:25   #37

Boat: 26' O Day 1985

I didn't see where acquiring a Florida gun permit had been mentioned. This is for non Florida residents mainly. I believe the cost used to be around $65 and renewable every 2 years. It's been awhile since I had one but it didn't take all that long once the finger print card and application was mailed back. I live in Alabama close to the Florida line. Al. is a reciprocal state so Florida recognizes an Alabama carry permit.
Sambama is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 18:27   #38

Boat: Pearson 303 30'3"

Back to the OP's original question, I recently had occasion to travel by car with a handgun. The OP is leaving from the most restrictive state on this subject (Maryland) in his travel plan.

I read the rules and was fine. I also found that the most restrictive states were all north of the Mason Dixon line (except Maryland is quite restrictive as well).

I agree with the posters ahead of me who said look on the Internet and know the regulations. Just simply obey them and you will be fine. Do NOT lie to law enforcement if asked.

As far as handgun usage vs. shotgun usage - a handgun will make a relatively small hole in fiberglass. A shotgun will make a huge one. Which do you think will let more water through ?

Also, if you buy some frangible ammo for your handgun, it may not penetrate (or over penetrate) at all, it is designed with over penetration in mind.
Enchantress is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 18:58   #39

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

I good friend of mine who is a MD and retired coroner told and sailor told me from twenty feet a flare gun in the chest or upper body would most likely kill a human or at the least put them down. So why does anybody need or more importantly want a gun.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 19:37   #40

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"

Up until 10 years ago, when I cruised the east coast and the Bahamas, I carried a loaded 25mm flare gun, and at different times also a 12 gauge, or a .223 rifle.
In the states, when stopped by the coast guard, I was never asked if I had weapons on board.
In the Bahamas, I always declared the weapons and amount of ammo.

If FL anyone can open carry a firearm, while fishing, hunting, or camping, or on the way to fish, hunt, or camp.
Also legal to carry in your car or boat, if it is encased. Loaded in glove box is ok. Loaded in a shoebox, that has a lid is ok. In a holster, with a snap is ok.
over40pirate is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 21:29   #41

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

In Florida, If, and only if, you get boarded by officials, of many types; Marine Police, Coast Guard, Wildlife, Sheriff Dept, etc. They will ask you if they can come aboard. Then if you have any weapons...and they look in your eyes to determine where you have them and if your answer is true. When they board you, there will be at least 2 or 3 officials, one will ask the questions while the other is busy gathering all your line cutting and kitchen knives. They are more concerned about a knife because those can pierce a vest. Bullets are not supposed to.
Questions are: Where are you going, from where, how many days travelling, purpose of the travel, and paperwork to prove you are current and have paid all the fees for registration and you have no warrants for your arrest. Be polite and truthful. Police protect you and you are able to protect them also if necessary.
My experience is that they just want to know 'where' the firearm is so you don't go in that direction.... for your benefit. Most times they don't ask specifically what you have. If it's visible, they would unload it and hold it away from you, but they would tell you where they hid those knives and your weapon when satisfied asking about your trip.
In Fl., handguns can be carried loaded and ready, on any vehicle or boat as long as they are 'encased', meaning in a zippered or snap case, even a holster that is closed or 'encased', or a box or drawer of any kind. Don't just have it laying on a table without being 'encased' or under a seat for ease of use.... unless you have a valid permit.
If you have a permit to carry, let it be known to the officials. You will have a few Reciprocal States to that 'permit' on the way to Fl., look them up but the States north of the Carolinas are the problem.
You are allowed to travel with a handgun even on a commercial aircraft by 'encasing' it in a locked box in your checked baggage, with the ammo separate and declaring it. You should be fine having one with you if 'encased' in your car or boat, but....what about those Inter- State transfer of arms? Look into that !.
If you decide to exercise your right to have some means of protection, since you cannot depend on anyone else helping, "buy a shotgun" like Joe, the VP said. A cheap, used 12 gauge shotgun with good capacity for buck shot to make big holes on threatening hulls, will happily rust slowly as your guardian. It will be more efficient than a handgun and much more feared if presented when it's proper to do so. Keep it wrapped in a plastic garbage bag with some dessicant packets and in a zippered long gun case in the cabin. It's not the guns that do harm (they can and do save many lives), it's the bad person behind it that does the harm.
slowpoker is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 23:03   #42

[QUOTE=MidwestRefugee;1921189]Umm.... people, the ICW does not extend to foreign nations so every reply regarding this is off topic.
Second the whole concept of "the sound of racking a shotgun" is beyond any amount of serious consideration. If that is so horrible please tell me what the sound of charging an auto pistol or pulling back the hammer of a revolver does to a human.

Heavens forbid any of us ever find ourselves in the situation where you have to use a gun. Your legal issues would be substantial. Midwest this is what they teach in advanced gun classes. I did not dream this up or want to be a western novel writer. Sat for many years with cops playing cards at my dad's house. They are the guys who told us shotgun with charge in the barrel and left on safety. Never rack the gun they said...if the intruders have guns they will start to fire in that direction and hope to get lucky. Where I live the police are there to fill out the paper work "after" the fact. Cocking a 45 automatic makes very little noise. Chambering it is about half as loud as racking a cartridge into the tube of my 410. However you want to defend yourself is your business...I pray no one ever has to pull a trigger.
Old 23-09-2015, 23:55   #43

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

Louisiana gun permits are reciprocal in many southern states. Also in Louisiana, a vehicle (and assumedly a vessel) is considered an extension of your home, so possession of a handgun is legal if you are not barred by law from owning one. The link posted in comment 3 is a good source for gun laws in each state. Generally, ICW states south of Va are somewhat friendly toward gun ownership.
jessehunt is offline   Reply
Old 24-09-2015, 00:41   #44

Pulling the trigger is the easy part, it's what comes after can be difficult. Leave your gun at home and smile, if you need to ask on here you shouldn't carry.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply
Old 24-09-2015, 03:04   #45

Boat: GibSea 402

As an Australian living in a relatively safe and gun free country I have a great deal of difficulty understanding why anyone would want to carry a gun while cruising in their own country.
I accept that I do not understand the gun culture of the USA but in my opinion it reenforces my thoughts that America is a country in decline.
I accept that I am looking at the issue from afar and I can also accept that there may be a reason for a gun in some unsafe countries but against my fellow cruisers "give me a break"
Our country is a long way from perfect so don't waste your time telling me about our problems.
This is very sad.
pwhitburn is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
icw