Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 08:35   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Handgun onboard on ICW

We have an active and informed gun owners group. Your question should also be posted there.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Gun owners
Old 23-09-2015, 08:59   #17

my two cents aren't even worth that.....but the potential for serious legal trouble is so great....I tend to believe it's not worth the chance....and please make no mistake: I am NO gunophobe....

I'd also be interested to know if my shotgun (affectionately known as 'Mr. Browning'...falls under any different set of rules than a handgun....
Presslord is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 09:03   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As Lucky Larry said, contact the NRA or a similar reputable source to find out how each of the states you are transiting will actually view things. Despite the "transit" laws there are some locations (like NYC) where it doesn't matter if you are the Queen of England, without a local permit you are still going to be arrested.

Some states recognize permits (reciprocity) from others, that varies state by state.

If you try to "make it easy" and ship the gun...The USPS doesn't allow handguns to be shipped at all. UPS and FedEx might, depending on who and how and the phase of the moon. Their posted rules vary and their employees often disagree.

Hopefully, the states you are crossing will honor your permit, but you really want to make Real Damned Sure about this, the chances of being caught (if the gun is locked away) are small, but the penalties can be quite serious.
hellosailor is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 09:50   #19

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presslord View Post
my two cents aren't even worth that.....but the potential for serious legal trouble is so great....I tend to believe it's not worth the chance....and please make no mistake: I am NO gunophobe....

I'd also be interested to know if my shotgun (affectionately known as 'Mr. Browning'...falls under any different set of rules than a handgun....
I rather prefer my "12 ga. flare gun" the noise of it racking the first shell into the chamber is enough "pucker factor" to send most borders back from wense they came. Handguns have to be aimed rather precisely vs my Mossberg 590.

I know I'm okay in Florida but would like to hear if anyone cruises the islands with a shotgun.
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 10:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.stubbs View Post
There is no need for a handgun on the ICW. Just having a gun on board make you less safe.
Understanding the rules..

"Remember the "be nice" rule, it's one of our most important ones"

I will just say 'manure of a male bovine."
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 10:50   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
As Lucky Larry said, contact the NRA or a similar reputable source to find out how each of the states you are transiting will actually view things. Despite the "transit" laws there are some locations (like NYC) where it doesn't matter if you are the Queen of England, without a local permit you are still going to be arrested.

Some states recognize permits (reciprocity) from others, that varies state by state.

If you try to "make it easy" and ship the gun...The USPS doesn't allow handguns to be shipped at all. UPS and FedEx might, depending on who and how and the phase of the moon. Their posted rules vary and their employees often disagree.

Hopefully, the states you are crossing will honor your permit, but you really want to make Real Damned Sure about this, the chances of being caught (if the gun is locked away) are small, but the penalties can be quite serious.
You can ship a rifle to yourself (anywhere in the US) or anyone else who can legally own one (within your state) by UPS or FEDEX, but pistols must go to and from FFL's only. Anal but thats the way it is.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 11:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presslord View Post
...but the potential for serious legal trouble is so great....I tend to believe it's not worth the chance...
The potential for serious legal trouble is great. That is true. But these laws are are not that complicated, are posted to the web, and are readily available for perusal. If you read the laws, understand them, and follow them, then there is no reason that you cannot--quite easily--travel along the ICW, with a handgun, without any real danger of running afoul of the law.

The main thing is, don't make the mistake of thinking that there is some universal set of laws that apply when you are on the ICW. As you travel from one state to the next, you become subject to each state's laws in succession. So you need to understand and follow the laws of each state that you pass through.

Not as simple as just understanding the laws where you live, but really not very complicated either.
denverd0n is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 11:25   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

If you are coming to Canada be aware we have strong laws against hand guns. That is not to say we don't have hand guns smuggled into the country. You can't legally buy a hand gun with the exception of a few special cases. Seems that every hand involved in a crime in our country can be traced back to the USA.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 11:27   #24

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Just an observation but if you are boarded by the Coast Guard they will put all the crew in one place and will ask if there are any weapons on the boat. The Coast Guard has, "Customs Authority " and can search the boat at will and if they determine possession of the weapon is not correct you may be charged with illegal possession of the handgun.

Bottom line, I would respectfully suggest the handgun be left at home and a "Long Gun" be carried instead.

(I'm retired, CPO, USCGR).
tdh1849 is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 11:27   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Despite having worked in neighborhoods where most do not venture into, and when they do it is during the day- with locked doors, I do not own a weapon.

I still travel the ICW and sleep on-board unarmed. But that will be changing when I head out to the Caribbean next year.

After speaking to some LEOs I know, the base premise is that self-preservation is #1 and subduing the predator is not a goal.

Therefore, suggest the following- do not bring a hand gun. A lit cockpit at night (solar patio lights?), a visual deterrent that makes entering the saloon unappealing, then bear spray and a pump shot gun allow for deterrence and reasonable escalation.

The pump shotgun has a huge advantage. The distinct sound of the pump action as it loads a round will pucker anyone. Of course the PITA is that one must declare the weapon when checking into each country. As I see it a shotgun is more of a defensive weapon than a handgun and will probably meet with less scrutiny.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 11:33   #26

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

My advice on this matter is leave your hand gun home and bring your long gun! They are generally legal and much more intimidating! I had what I thought was a bad guy tailing me in rhe Bahama's so I walked out on my after deck with my 30/30 lever action saddle gun, the minute the guy saw it he changed course. End of story!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 11:33   #27

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

Having traveled part of the great loop through multiple states and being a resident Florida boater and having been safety stopped in different states with firearms aboard, here is my experience:

1) I have never been asked during a state / local authority safety stop if I had firearms onboard. They were not concerned with them, just the safety gear and papers.

2) when I've been boarded by the Coast Guard, they simply asked before boarding if I had firearms aboard and, after answering in the affirmative, they asked if they were secured. They then instructed us to stay clear of the firearms while they were onboard. They then proceeded to check all colreg requirements and never asked to see where or how the firearms were/are secured.

So my travels with firearms aboard have not caused issue during stops by authorities at different levels.

States I have traveled through:

Illinois
Iowa
Missouri
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
neptunesjester is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 12:13   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
I know I'm okay in Florida but would like to hear if anyone cruises the islands with a shotgun.
Which islands? They're all different. Some will just make note of the gun when you clear in. Some will take you straight to jail. Some will threaten to do so. Many will hold it locked up at the police station until you leave (where of course it will do you no good).

I used to always cruise with a gun of some sort but got to be too much trouble. After my SS S&W .357 was "lost" by the police in Jamaica I decided it wasn't worth it and no longer keep a gun on board. In 15 years of cruising the Caribbean, much of it during the seventies when the Colombian cocaine cowboys were running rampant, often in very isolated areas, occasionally in marginal areas, I never needed a gun.
skipmac is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 12:44   #29

Boat: Island Packet 420

Having a gun onboard is like having all your other safty equipment. Life jacket, life raft, flares, etc..... I've got it, hope I never need it. But if I do need it, it could save my life.
I sail the east coast and always carry. I have never had my boat searched. I was asked once by the coast guard if I had weapons on board. I said no and nothing else was said.
rgravitte is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 12:57   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgravitte View Post
Having a gun onboard is like having all your other safty equipment.
Not exactly like other safety equipment. No laws, regulations or restrictions on other stuff on the boat. Never heard of anyone getting locked up for possession of a life jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgravitte View Post
I sail the east coast and always carry. I have never had my boat searched. I was asked once by the coast guard if I had weapons on board. I said no and nothing else was said.
That is an extremely bad idea. If you have guns on board the worst thing you can do is lie about it to the authorities. If they did search the boat and find a gun then the fecal matter might hit the fan. Do this in the Caribbean and get caught and you will go straight to a really dirty, nasty, third world jail.
skipmac is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
icw